Roughing the Passer

DrDawkinstein

if i was a DL and got called for a cheap roughing the passer call, you best bet on the next play im going to knock that QB out of the game for good. ill take a $15k fine when im making $2mil a year too.

tony siragusa did it right. got him a super bowl trip/ring.

Worst call I've ever seen. Form tackles are not roughing the passer. The NFL should be ashamed.

What call/game is this in reference to? Curious to know if it's something I saw but didn't really register...

although, i think my bigger complaint is how its called/not called.

Yep...that's always a contentious thing.

To the penalties themselves...the difference in weight and strength of today's defenders compared to quarterbacks is far greater than years past - and, today's qb contracts are so very large. Had Palmer not came back, the B'gals would have had to shell out 29 million. I imagine Peyton Manning and some others would be in that ballpark, too.

Such losses would seriously wound a franchise. So for the $$$ aspect, and I suppose for the survival of starting qbs and therefore competitiveness, the penalties exist.

To the penalties themselves...the difference in weight and strength of today's defenders compared to quarterbacks is far greater than years past - and, today's qb contracts are so very large. Had Palmer not came back, the B'gals would have had to shell out 29 million. I imagine Peyton Manning and some others would be in that ballpark, too.

Such losses would seriously wound a franchise. So for the $$$ aspect, and I suppose for the survival of starting qbs and therefore competitiveness, the penalties exist.

I would much rather watch Brett Farve than Aaron Rodgers. That's why the penalty is called so much. Fans want to see the best out there. Owners want to protect their pockets.

What?

A special interest within a special interest...

What is this world coming to?

although, i think my bigger complaint is how its called/not called.

This is the broader issue, imo. A Jaguar DL taps Tom Brady and gets a roughing call - yeah, it was 5 seconds after the ball had been thrown, but a love tap does not constitute a roughing the passer.

The problem is that the refs have been brainwashed to protect the QB at all costs - that had to be pushed by the owners to the league, so the QBs can keep playing, so the fans come to see said QBs, so the games are filled to capacity, so the league pockets more money.

Sounds simple to me. :wallbash:

This is the broader issue, imo. A Jaguar DL taps Tom Brady and gets a roughing call - yeah, it was 5 seconds after the ball had been thrown, but a love tap does not constitute a roughing the passer.

The problem is that the refs have been brainwashed to protect the QB at all costs - that had to be pushed by the owners to the league, so the QBs can keep playing, so the fans come to see said QBs, so the games are filled to capacity, so the league pockets more money.

Sounds simple to me. :wallbash:

They are protecting their bread winners.

Gotta protect the QBs

Would that be something like Federal workers being able to actively campaign for and contribute to Federal office-seeking candidates?

:oops:

That is covered under the Hatch Act (1939):

I know simple peons like myself get schooled in ethics every year... You'd think the higher-ups would follow it?... ;)

Thank you Bubba?: ^_^

In 1993 Congress amended the Hatch Act to allow Federal employees to take an active part in political campaigns for Federal offices. While there are still some restrictions on what Federal employees can do, there is now greater latitude given to their participation. Thanks to changes in the Hatch Act, active Federal employees have been able to participate in campaigns for President, Senate, and House of Representatives.

(Retirees, spouses, and family members are not bound by the Hatch Act.)

Hatch Act DOs and DON'Ts:

Below are the primary guidelines that active Federal employees need to follow when working or volunteering on a political campaign for federal office. Remember, though, that just because the Hatch Act doesn't say "NO," that doesn't mean it's legal.

Active Federal employees may:

Be a candidate in a political election in which no candidates represent a political party

Register and vote as they choose

Assist in Voter Registration Drives

Express opinions about candidates and issues

Attend fundraisers and contribute money to political organizations and campaigns

Volunteer on a campaign

Recruit volunteers for a political campaign

Participate in activities such as phone banking and precinct walking

Display bumper stickers, lawn signs, and other campaign paraphernalia

Raise money for their union's political action committee from other union members

Run for nonpartisan offices (that is, parties are not listed on the ballot)

Volunteer, run for, and hold an office in a local or state political party

Active Federal employees may not:

Be a candidate in a political election in which any candidate represents a political party

Raise money for a partisan political campaign

Allow their names to be used in any fundraising appeal on behalf of a partisan political campaign

Participate in a phone bank that is engaged in fundraising for a partisan campaign

Raise money for their union's political action committee from persons other than their fellow union members

Cue StuckInCincy telling ExiledInIllinois about his life and how he's really fcked up by things he deduced from an internet message board.

:oops:;)

You can't really simplify it that way, the internet message board thing... I've been doing this too long...

That really isn't it... Naw... Just banter... The one thing I really enjoy is that Cincy can usually approach things at a different angle, very refreshing and one of the main reasons I like coming here...

Keep up the good work Cincy! The more info spread, the better... I will ALWAYS take it to the highest level.