Duke Preston

cantankerous

I see lots of people calling for Gandy's head for his play this season. Well then what does that say about Preston's play?

Yesterday whenever McGahee was stuffed...guess who I saw at the bottom of the pile, on his face everytime? Duke Preston! He gets owned on running plays and I don't know why people are all over Gandy (besides his drive killing holding penalties) Preston seems like the weakest lineman IMO, after him I think i'd have to say Fowler.

What do you guys think about Preston as our Right Guard?

I see lots of people calling for Gandy's head for his play this season. Well then what does that say about Preston's play?

Yesterday whenever McGahee was stuffed...guess who I saw at the bottom of the pile, on his face everytime? Duke Preston! He gets owned on running plays and I don't know why people are all over Gandy (besides his drive killing holding penalties) Preston seems like the weakest lineman IMO, after him I think i'd have to say Fowler.

878049[/snapback]

I think we have to improve both LG and RG. If it were up to me we'd sign someone like Vince Manuwai in free agency to replace Gandy and draft Justin Blalock to replace Chris Villarial. As let's not forget that Preston is only playing because CV can't and nothing more then a backup to this point in his career.

Agreed that Preston is the weakest link. I have my doubts on Pennington, who often seems lost, not blocking anybody, running into JP, etc., but he is young and big, and has played better than Preston and Gandy. Gandy is a passable veteran, so if we can't get TWO guards better than he is, he might get penciled in. I would rather replace him, but only with someone who is better than average (not just to make a change), and only if it doesn't use up all our resources.

But Preston goes back to being backup G/C competing with Merz on the depth chart, and hoping to pull a Wally Pipp on Fowler at some point through hard work. No chance I start Duke in 2007. Two starting caliber guards could be hard, so it will probably be better to go after one stud (including maybe first round pick), and settle for Gandy.

Here's my #1 pick at the moment, although way too soon to be close to accurate:

Justin Blalock

Id go after Derrick Dockery. Who has been a beast run blocking for the redskins this season for lg.  The redskins I believe lead the league in ypc average of runs to the left side.  Dockery/Peters would be a damn good left side.  I'd keep gandy around. At rg I really dont know maybe the draft.

878099[/snapback]

I've mentioned Dockery before as a possible FA signing. But the more I think about it, the more I doubt he will be a consistent player in a non-contract year. He's a bit tall so he has to work really hard to keep leverage, and I just don't believe the motivation will be there after he signs his next contract.

878049[/snapback]

A hell of a lot better than Villarial though. After Villarial goes down, go figure, Losman starts to look like the quarterback of the future and the Bills are officially staying in games. He went down in the loss to the Colts, and ever since the Bills have in a way been something to brag about.