A Few Thoughts About The Game And The Bills

Bill from NYC

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-read what Bill wrote. His point was that Peters is so good that he will be an all-time great. Bill was making his point in a round-about way.

877840[/snapback]

I was responding to Bill's and UConn James thoughts about him being worth a #1 overall. They are being enthusiastic fans, about a player that has far exceeded anyone's expectations. They are right.

Remember the contention - turn down #1 overall for Peters...an improbable happenstance.

I don't think he is worth a #1 overall - only a handful of players are - and if anyone offered that, I would make the trade. Hate to lose an up-and-coming LT, but I'd take that hit if I could fatten the general roster with two years' worth of higher picks if some sap came along and offered them. There are 53 spots to be concerned about. A GM, like a factory manager, has to look at the whole.

KC lost a number of their fine line, and were given up as dead, but there they are. NE took heavy line hits, and there they are. B'gals played much of their season sans 3 of 5 OL starters...but they still have a pulse going into the last week.

Those 3 clubs have good OL coaching...but also have the not-insignificant advantage of spiffy, marquee QBs or RBs or WRs or TEs. And those top skill players make their OLs look better.

Before we anoint Peters, give some credit to the Bills' coaching staff. The have their warts like all do, but all in all, a remarkable change from last season.

It's not a question of Peters being relatively inexpensive now - his agent will address that, and without anything more than cosmetic protest from the Bills.

1) It is hard to believe just how in tune many TSW posters are with our football team. Major Kudos to whoever called for a running play to Josh Reed.

2) I am not one to focus too much on, nor gush over quarterbacks. That said, JP played his ass off, and left this cynical poster completely impressed.

3) I am trying to put into perspective JUST how good Jason Peters is. I wouldn't accept anything less for him in a trade than the #1 pick in the 07 draft. I would only accept this because Badolbilz told me there is a kid coming out of college who is an absolute super talent, with a chance to be an all-time great. Am I getting my point accross?

4) There were 7 minutes and 35 seconds left in the 2nd quarter when I realized that the titans suck. Not sure how this is relevant.

5) You saw it yourself people. Fowler is a little light in the ass.  :doh:

6) Talk about a game changing play? The 2nd quarter holding penalty by Gandy hurt us BIG FRIGGIN TIME! It cost us points and momentum. Imo, he is a backup OT and nothing more. We simply must fix this problem in the offseason. I for one couldn't care less if Gandy walks. Sorry about that.

7) Announcers don't generally phase me, and I consider #89 a dear friend. This is why I am not going to say horrible things about Steve Tasker. Cindy knows him and says he is a good guy. Merry Christmas Cindy!  :doh:

8) I have been generally complimentary toward Tripplett. Yesterday, he was so bad that I wanted to cry. I held back because it would have looked bad in front of my wife and 3 daughters.

9) I put none of the blame for this loss on our DEs. They can't be expected to play DE and DT at the same time. I hope we keep Kelsay. There is much hope for Kyle Williams at DT, or so I see it.

10) We need Nate, not a first round replacement.  :D

11) I am not angry. The Bills accomplished more than we had a right to expect imo. We got very lucky with some TD acquisitions (Evans, Losman and Peters to name a few) and some late round picks by Marv. When the smoke clears, this team will have a chance to be very good. We can all see the needs.....OGs, DTs, and young LBs. These are NOT the toughest positions to fill. In any event, I live every day proud of being a part of the Buffalo Bills community.

12) Merry Christmas to all of you and your loved ones, and may God bless.

BfNYC

877644[/snapback]

1). Reed was a good signing by Marv.

2). JP made great strides this season and hopefully he is competitive next week against a great defense.

3). Peters is good and we can build around him.

4). ? The Titans are up and coming imo.

5). Fowler is ok, not a stud.

6). All linemen get caught holding. Gandy looks like a decent starting gaurd and an excellent reserve for OT/OG. In think we should re-sign him.

7). ok

8). Triplett is ok, more of a pass rusher. We need help at DT.

9). defense is played as a team game.

10). agreed

11). true.

12). thanks, same to you.

Re-read what Bill wrote. His point was that Peters is so good that he will be an all-time great. Bill was making his point in a round-about way.

877840[/snapback]

I am not ready to go that far.....yet.

The point I was trying to make is that you just can't get these guys, and the Bills are a shining example as such. Great LTs barely exist, and this is why Jeff Backus, who is good, received a contract like this. Peters might already be a better player than Backus.

Think about it.....we have not had a standout LT since Wolford, unless you want to count Jennings, but he was constantly injured. Now, we walk into 07 with Peters, who is agile and as strong as an ox. This season we opened with Gandy at LT; a horror show, and I am being kind. The difference is striking. :thumbsup:

In 07, we will arrrive in town with Peters, Evans, Losman, Schobel, and perhaps even Nate. This is a lot of talent, and a foundation that is young and can be built upon. Three of these 4 positions are very difficult to fill.

Let this team get stronger in the middle of both lines and watch what happens! :thumbsup: