Pass Interference on last play

BuffalOhio

Watching the replay of the hail mary, one of the Titans clearly interfered with Josh Reed's ability to come back for the ball.

How was that NOT pass interference?

The only thing I can think is that since JP was out of the pocket, all bets are off. The announcers mentinoed something like that earlier in the game when Young scrambled.

Any football refs out there?

If the QB is out of the pocket, then there is no illegal contact.

However, once the ball is in the air, and unless the ball has been tipped/deflected, it's pass interference regardless of whether the QB is in the pocket.

But they never call PI on Hail Marys, right? :nana:

The ball was the in the air.....he def interfered and im sure a ref saw it....

but im guessing he decided Reed had no chance to catch it......

877031[/snapback]

Yeah, what would make them think Reed could ever pull in a hail mary?-)

I know there is a lot of contact on hail mary passes but Reed was tackled in the end zone.

877054[/snapback]

I just saw the play (Sunday Ticket highlights) and that was blatant pass interference. When I read the threads, I just assumed it was ticky-tack stuff, but as you said, he was practically tackled. Reed was trying to run back towards the ball, the defender just shoved him to the ground without looking for the ball. I wish I hadn't watched the highlights, because now I'm pretty pissed.

That sucks. Merry freak'n Xmas, NFL.

CW

I just saw the play (Sunday Ticket highlights) and that was blatant pass interference.  When I read the threads, I just assumed it was ticky-tack stuff, but as you said, he was practically tackled.  Reed was trying to run back towards the ball, the defender just shoved him to the ground without looking for the ball.  I wish I hadn't watched the highlights, because now I'm pretty pissed.

That sucks.  Merry freak'n Xmas, NFL.

CW

878483[/snapback]

I think the refs were as confused as everyone else about what was going on.

Ah memories. Henry Jones called for pass interference on the last play hail mary in New England. Merry Christmas.

878489[/snapback]

Yeah, that was just a few plays after the "just give it to 'em" call as well. :thumbsup:

Regardless of that game, the Titans CLEARLY interfered on the last play. If that guy hadn't mugged Reed, he had a great chance to catch it. :thumbsup:

Ah memories. Henry Jones called for pass interference on the last play hail mary in New England. Merry Christmas.

878489[/snapback]

To this day I can't stand Pete Carroll. Remember he went for 2 after the Bills left the field

No doubt, the Titans' defender was all over Reed, making contact and not allowing him to fight his way back to the wind-blown pass.

At the same time, there definitely should've been pass interference called on Reed at the end of the first half when he caught the bomb from Losman that allowed the Bills to get the free 3 points with 0:01 left. The Titans' defender went up to attempt to knock the pass down, and then went flying about 4 yards forward after Reed shoved him in the back.

So, anything goes on the deep ball, I guess....

To this day I can't stand Pete Carroll. Remember he went for 2 after the Bills left the field

878493[/snapback]

I was at that game. Standing there in disbelief and be berated by chowds, not fun. I was also at the game Sunday wondering why they didn't call PI. Maybe I should just stay home...

As far as I know, it does not matter if the QB is out of the pocket or not. A CB can not block the opportunity of a WR from coming back catch a ball. ie: Pass Interference.

That was actually the first thing I noticed on replay.

Worse thing about this is that JP and the Bills still will get no respect or acknowledgement for the progress they have made this year.