Is an NFL athlete the year's most ovverated?

Pyrite Gal

AOL had a year end poll up asking this question. The choices are listed below with only two NFL players making the list (Edgerrin and RoboQB), but interestingly they placed the entire Colts team on this list.

IMHO, comparing teams to individual athletes is so apples and oranges that I do not think it is worth doing (though I understand their choice as Indy gets a special place in history for their flawless starts and complete flameouts, though the untimely suicide of Dungy's son and the fact this season is not over yet gets them a bye in this vote to me).

I also would make a distinction for injury and also signing a big contract adds big time to the rating one must obtain. Thus RoboQB gets a pass from me as his poor performance strikes me as greatly related to injury (though the fact the motorcycle injury was a piece of voluntary stupidity on his part). While Edgerrin is the most overrated football entry on this list, he also gets a personal bye from me as being as horrendous as some of the others on this list as he actually should get over 1000 yards this year and I do not expect much more from someone on a team as functionally bereft as AZ.

I think other folks on this list from otheer sports get my vote, particularly Bode Miller as he was so hyped in last year's Olympics and actually was quite upfront in hyping himself with a web site and some fairly opportunistic money making, that when he completely fell flat and then tried to publicly play it off, he ended up striking me as the height of being a legend in his own mind.

In 2006, who was the most overrated athlete?

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Indianapolis Colts

Edgerrin James

Randy Johnson

Stephon Marbury

Phil Mickelson

Bode Miller

Danica Patrick

Andy Roddick

Ben Roethlisberger

U.S. men's national soccer team

Michelle Wie

AOL had a year end poll up asking this question. The choices are listed below with only two NFL players making the list (Edgerrin and RoboQB), but interestingly they placed the entire Colts team on this list.

IMHO, comparing teams to individual athletes is so apples and oranges that I do not think it is worth doing (though I understand their choice as Indy gets a special place in history for their flawless starts and complete flameouts, though the untimely suicide of Dungy's son and the fact this season is not over yet gets them a bye in this vote to me).

I also would make a distinction for injury and also signing a big contract adds big time to the rating one must obtain.  Thus RoboQB gets a pass from me as his poor performance strikes me as greatly related to injury (though the fact the motorcycle injury was a piece of voluntary stupidity on his part).  While Edgerrin is the most overrated football entry on this list, he also gets a personal bye from me as being as horrendous as some of the others on this list as he actually should get over 1000 yards this year and I do not expect much more from someone on a team as functionally bereft as AZ.

I think other folks on this list from otheer sports get my vote, particularly Bode Miller as he was so hyped in last year's Olympics and actually was quite upfront in hyping himself with a web site and some fairly opportunistic money making, that when he completely fell flat and then tried to publicly play it off, he ended up striking me as the height of being a legend in his own mind.

In 2006, who was the most overrated athlete?

Dale Earnhardt Jr.   

Indianapolis Colts   

Edgerrin James   

Randy Johnson   

Stephon Marbury   

Phil Mickelson   

Bode Miller   

Danica Patrick   

Andy Roddick   

Ben Roethlisberger   

U.S. men's national soccer team   

Michelle Wie

876014[/snapback]

Well, the first thing you have to do cut that list down to actual athletes. So Earnhardt, Mickleson, Patrick, and Wie are out. I'm sorry, golfers and drivers are not athletes. Not saying what they do isn't hard, but they aren't athletes. Also, I agree with you that teams should not be here, so that takes out the soccer team and the Colts. From whats left, I'd pick Bode Miller.

Well,  the first thing you have to do cut that list down to actual athletes.  So Earnhardt, Mickleson, Patrick, and Wie are out.  I'm sorry, golfers and drivers are not athletes.  Not saying what they do isn't hard, but they aren't athletes.  Also, I agree with you that teams should not be here, so that takes out the soccer team and the Colts.  From whats left, I'd pick Bode Miller.

876052[/snapback]

I've got news for you. Race car drivers are definitely athletes. No they don't run, block or tackle but the physical and mental demands are huge. As someone that has done this for 18 years in a some very demanding forms of that sport, I can tell you it takes incredible stamina, reflexes, split second decisions, coordination and mental focus. Really, unless you've done it, you have no idea. In many forms of racing, there are no whistles or timeouts. You never relax sometimes for periods of hours. Studies have shown that Motocross is the most demanding physical sport of all. I'd bet the ranch that if you asked Joe Gibbs if race car drivers are athletes he'd give you a great answer as to why they are. Only people to have never been involved would argue otherwise.

How so?  Ovechkin leads the league in goals and Crosby leads in points.

I don't like either, but overrated?  No.

876070[/snapback]

ok, then overhyped. ovechkin lost so much respect in my eyes with his hit on briere. he can score, but he'll be a complete player if he can do so in crunch time.

crosby in my eyes is just too young to get the attention he gets. he's earning his respect, but he needs to mature.

both are at the statistical top of the nhl, but both are young and need to develop.

i agree with him, they are good, but everyone acts like they would drop to their knees and blow them in a second.

If they remain good for the next 5 years, then I would say no, but they are too young at this point to be getting blow job central

I've got news for you. Race car drivers are definitely athletes.  No they don't run,  block or tackle but the physical and mental demands are huge.  As someone that has done this for 18 years in a some very demanding forms of that sport, I can tell you it takes incredible stamina, reflexes, split second decisions, coordination and mental focus.  Really, unless you've done it, you have no idea. In many forms of racing, there are no whistles or timeouts.  You never relax sometimes for periods of hours.  Studies have shown that Motocross is the most demanding physical sport of all.  I'd bet the ranch that if you asked Joe Gibbs if race car drivers are athletes he'd give you a great answer as to why they are.  Only people to have never been involved would argue otherwise.

876056[/snapback]

the reasons u listed about why drivers are athletes doesnt hold up. the lynchpin to say whats a sport and what isnt, is whether what they do is athletic. and im sorry, but driving is not athletic. sports are also called "athletics". thus u should be doing something that takes athletic ability. and furthermore, in my opinion, to be a sport the person must be doing the majority of the athletic movement. so horse racing, auto racing, etc are not sports. the horse and the car are doing the majority of the work. so unless u cut a hole in the bottom of the car (ala flinstones style) auto racing is not a sport, thus the drivers are not athletes. just b/c something is difficult or hard does not mean its athletic. building a rockt would be hard, but thats not athletic is it?

I've got news for you. Race car drivers are definitely athletes.  No they don't run,  block or tackle but the physical and mental demands are huge.  As someone that has done this for 18 years in a some very demanding forms of that sport, I can tell you it takes incredible stamina, reflexes, split second decisions, coordination and mental focus.  Really, unless you've done it, you have no idea. In many forms of racing, there are no whistles or timeouts.  You never relax sometimes for periods of hours.  Studies have shown that Motocross is the most demanding physical sport of all.  I'd bet the ranch that if you asked Joe Gibbs if race car drivers are athletes he'd give you a great answer as to why they are.  Only people to have never been involved would argue otherwise.

876056[/snapback]

You've make an excellant argument for professional Foosball being the most demanding sport of all.