Bad Flu/Cold!!!!!

Buffan00

I used to get the brown bottle flu but something happened to my body circa my 35th B-day (Oct. 11th).  Either I'm dying or I've been blessed and cursed.  :nana:

872529[/snapback]

I used to get sick a lot as a kid but I probably have had a bad flu maybe two times in the last 5+ years. Guess we just have some good genes or something. ;)

Man, just getting over a weeks worth of fatigue and respiratory infections! Now my family is sick. :nana:  Anybody else been hit with the "bug" yet?? ;)

872516[/snapback]

A half a teaspoon of table salt in a half a glass of room temperature tap water, swishing about the mouth and gargling with it will be a help. Every 6 hours.

Any hard candy that is not a peppermint or spearmint will help sooth..nothing medicinal, just that it encourages saliva production and might keep a dry throat at bay.

Plenty of water, of course. Your big saucepan with water on the lowest stovetop setting will raise humidity if it is low. Shake some pepper into it for nucleation for phase change from liquid to vapor. It's subtle below a boil, but take this advice from an old chemist...it does lower the energy needed for transition because it's insoluble and is a point that effects phase change..

And eat cheese or drink milk. Dairy is loaded with casoendorphins. Nature produces them in mammaliam breast milk to help insure that sucklings have encouragement to suckle.

This is well-known in the marketplace - especially our restaurant businesses. Cheese increases appetite which increases sales etc.

But for the infirm and prostrate with fever, food intake has to be assured. Fever burns up tons of energy that needs to be fueled.

A half a teaspoon of table salt in a half a glass of room temperature tap water, swishing about the mouth and gargling with it will be a help.  Every 6 hours.

Any hard candy that is not a peppermint or spearmint will help sooth..nothing medicinal, just that it encourages saliva production and might keep a dry throat at bay.

Plenty of water, of course. Your big saucepan with water on the lowest stovetop setting will raise humidity if it is low. Shake some pepper into it for nucleation for phase change from liquid to vapor. It's subtle below a boil, but take this advice from an old chemist...it does lower the energy needed for transition because it's insoluble and is a point that effects phase change..

And eat cheese or drink milk. Dairy is loaded with casoendorphins. Nature produces them in mamaliam breast milk to help insure that sucklings have encouregement to sucklel.

This is well-known in the marketplace  - especially our restaurant businesses. Cheese increases appetite which increases sales etc.

But for the infirm and prostrate with fever, food intake has to be assured. Fever burns up tons of energy that needs to be fueled.

872565[/snapback]

What about overloading on Vitamin-C pills? Ive been popping 1000 MG every night and it seems to have helped.

A few days now, sore throat, headaches, sore legs, Mexican five step, ache from top of my head to tip of my toes, still have to milk the cows though. Apple cider vinegar helps somewhat with the throat, swish around the strongest combination of vinegar and water then swallow it quick :nana:

i have been trying to get over a cough for nearly 3+ weeks, man is it annoying!!!!

872579[/snapback]

Try having a cough for 4 months, I spent my spring break one year on my couch without being able to move my neck because I had an infection that was draining down my neck.

When I was over that I developped a cough that lasted 4 months, the doctors couldn't figure out what it was, they even checked to see if it was asthma. It was such a bad cough I would go into these hacking coughs that were violent. It was horrible

As for this year, no flu/cold yet, although I don't usually get colds. I did spend all of September sick with mono. That really sucked because the only thing that was wrong with me was my throat was so swollen and sore I couldn't speak or eat for days at a time

What about overloading on Vitamin-C pills? Ive been popping 1000 MG every night and it seems to have helped.

872588[/snapback]

It's been controversial for a long time. The Nobel Prize Chemist, Linus Pauling, was a big proponent.

Folks taking too many supplements is a peeve of mine. Harm can and does occur.

Here's a ref. about vitamin C. Remember, you are likely getting a bunch already via today's large number of vitamin-fortified foods.

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutri.../vitamin-c.html

How do you guys not get sick? What does your daily diet look like? What do you eat and drink?

873774[/snapback]

I think the #1 thing is to get plenty of rest. I generally get 8 hours of sleep a night (although this week I havn't... :D ). I think that helps a ton.

Oh, and I spent the first 4+ years of my life in Love Canal, so maybe that helped. :lol:

CW

How do you guys not get sick? What does your daily diet look like? What do you eat and drink?

873774[/snapback]

Like Fez says I think sleep has a lot to do with it. I usually get about 6-7 hours...sometimes 8 hours a night. I also drink lots of water, eat fairly healthy, exercise (although not a lot lately) and take vitamin supplements. Also wash your hands often and keep away from eyes and mouth. All things your mama told you to do. :lol:

Like Fez says I think sleep has a lot to do with it.  I usually get about 6-7 hours...sometimes 8 hours a night.  I also drink lots of water, eat fairly healthy, exercise (although not a lot lately) and take vitamin supplements.  Also wash your hands often and keep away from eyes and mouth.  All things your mama told you to do.  :D

873800[/snapback]

I thought it had something to do with what you slept in, or is it lack there of? :lol:

873774[/snapback]

Well, it started back when I was 16. I smoked Marlboro Reds for a few years. Went to college, put on the freshman 30 and junior 30, giving me a nice little beer gut. Then I spent the next 10 years toiling around a bar that most people wouldn't even stop at to use the restrooms, all the while smoking 2 packs of Marlboro Lights a day. Then I met the woman of my dreams, left the bar scene, quit smoking and ended up a cyber nerd posting here a dozen times a day.

In all seriousness, I think I was quite sickly as a child and it built up my imune system. Eh, what do I know anyway?