Fail to re-sign Clements?

generaLee83

1st and foremost I would love to see Clements re-signed, it probably will not happen.

There are inklings of some posters hoping to see Asante Samuel join the Bills in the off-season. I would welcome the addition but there's no way it will happen.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/INT/2006/regular

8 interceptions? 11 passes defensed? All this in 13 games?

He will be asking for top 3 money also and would deserve it.

The Bills will draft another frigging defensive back or bring in a Kiwaukee Thomas style player.

Look for next years pass defense to rank in the 20's.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for next years pass defense to rank in the 20's.

871709[/snapback]

No thanks. I'll wait til this season ends, then we'll see what moves we can make. I highly doubt that Marv lets the CB position go unnoticed. We've seen that he makes defensive backs a high priority and he was willing to pay $7 mil to one player. I think he will find some way to shore up the position with or without Nate. You never know what players may become available by next season.

At worst case senerio, Youboty would be playing and i think he's gonna be a very good defensive back. But, seriously, i doubt Clements leaves. Browns really want him but i doubt he leaves esspicially with our organization going up and looking really strong for next season.

At worst case senerio, Youboty would be playing and i think he's gonna be a very good defensive back. But, seriously, i doubt Clements leaves. Browns really want him but i doubt he leaves esspicially with our organization going up and looking really strong for next season.

871712[/snapback]

I absolutely hope that you're right.

I think the fact the Bills were considering trading Clements for Booger McFarland says that they were not confident they could re-sign Clements.

I think Youboty was drafted to be Clements replacement. I feel a little bit like Josh Reed is to Peerless Price what Ashton Youboty is to Nate Clemnts. Marv drafted Youboty thinking ahead just like Donahoe did when he drafted Josh Reed.

Me and Asante played against each other in high school and ended we both ended up at UCF. Was a great athlete in high school and didnt think he was all that great in college but I guess some scouts thought so. Good to see that a hometown kid is doing well. None the less I would like to see him as a Bill next year, that way I could get some free sh--.

Clements will most certainly be a Bill next season. Marv will use the transition tag or, more likely, the 'non-exclusive' franchise tag to allow Nate to test the market but also allow Buffalo to match any offer. Levy has never said that he wouldn't to that - despite what many folks keep claiming they know to be certain.

Marv has only said that the Bills committed not to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Clements again next season. Beyond that statement, everything else said about their agreement in this forum is purely uninformed speculation.

Oh yes, Clements will be a Buffalo Bill next year.

What's more, he'll want to be a Buffalo Bill - 'cause this team is going to the Superbowl, baby! :(

Clements will most certainly be a Bill next season.  Marv will use the transition tag or, more likely, the 'non-exclusive' franchise tag to allow Nate to test the market but also allow Buffalo to match any offer.  Levy has never said that he wouldn't to that - despite what many folks keep claiming they know to be certain.

Marv has only said that the Bills committed not to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Clements again next season.  Beyond that statement, everything else said about their agreement in this forum is purely uninformed speculation.

Oh yes, Clements will be a Buffalo Bill next year. 

What's more, he'll want to be a Buffalo Bill - 'cause this team is going to the Superbowl, baby! :(

I hope you're right. But alas I am too jaded by guys like Soprano et al who claim to have inside info, only to realize they have nothing of the sort. So I'll hope what you say is correct and wait for it to happen.

And you meant that the Bills commited not to use the exclusive franchise tag designation (which prevents him from being signed by anyone else), correct?

Marv has only said that the Bills committed not to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Clements again next season. 

872053[/snapback]

Is that true? Marv was that specific? A link would be nice.

Clements will most certainly be a Bill next season.  Marv will use the transition tag or, more likely, the 'non-exclusive' franchise tag to allow Nate to test the market but also allow Buffalo to match any offer.  Levy has never said that he wouldn't to that - despite what many folks keep claiming they know to be certain.

872053[/snapback]

Either the transition tag or the non-exclusive franchise tag could still mean Clements is in another uniform. Especially in the case of the transition tag where a poison pill would pretty much end it; think balloon payment for playing home games in Western NY. The key is whether the non-excl franchise tag is still open for use, which is why I asked for a link. Otherwise, your speculation is just as wild as anyone else's. But if the non-excl tag is still available, then teams would have to fork over 2 first rounders, which would be nice.

Is that true?  Marv was that specific?  A link would be nice.

Either the transition tag or the non-exclusive franchise tag could still mean Clements is in another uniform.  Especially in the case of the transition tag where a poison pill would pretty much end it; think balloon payment for playing home games in Western NY.  The key is whether the non-excl franchise tag is still open for use, which is why I asked for a link.  Otherwise, your speculation is just as wild as anyone else's.  But if the non-excl tag is still available, then teams would have to fork over 2 first rounders, which would be nice.

I think if what The Sen says is true, if they were going to use a tag, and I hope they would, they'd use the franchise tag so as to be able to get something for him, since he'll be the top CB available. I really hope what The Sen says is true because that would be a consolation getting a 1st rounder if they were to lose him.

We're going to be WELL under the cap so if we don't resign him it'll be because Marv simply doesn't want him back, we can afford Nate and still get a few good free agents to fill some spots.

872084[/snapback]

Or, that Nate really doesn't want to be here.

Is that true?  Marv was that specific?  A link would be nice.

Either the transition tag or the non-exclusive franchise tag could still mean Clements is in another uniform.  Especially in the case of the transition tag where a poison pill would pretty much end it; think balloon payment for playing home games in Western NY.  The key is whether the non-excl franchise tag is still open for use, which is why I asked for a link.  Otherwise, your speculation is just as wild as anyone else's.  But if the non-excl tag is still available, then teams would have to fork over 2 first rounders, which would be nice.

872081[/snapback]

I'd love to be able to give a link that says exactly what the agreement is, but there is no such link - which is exactly why all the nonsense being uttered that Marv promised not to use any tag on Clements, or that it's written into his contract - is just that...nonsense.

No one on this board knows what the agreement is - the info I've found alludes only to "verbal assurances" not to use the franchise tag, but makes no reference as to which franchise tag - exclusive or non-exclusive...

May 5 2006 - CB Nate Clements signed a one-year deal worth $7.2 million on Friday as Buffalo's franchise player. Clements, arriving from Orlando, Fla., signed the contract and was on the field for the start of a three-day mini-camp. After two months of lukewarm contract talks, Clements accepted the franchise tender after receiving what's believed to be verbal assurances that Buffalo won't slap him with the franchise tag next season. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, a player can be tagged twice.

Link

If you read what Marv has said about Clements - "We will make every effort to retain him"..."I hope that we can do a contract that goes beyond that but sometimes you have to put the franchise tag on and then work on the contract part of it"..."We would like to have him back and I know Dick Jauron has expressed the same"..."I think he's a talented player who can get better"...etc. - it's obvious the Bills want to retain him well beyond this season.

Link

Most telling, at least to me, was this 'Marv-ism' -

"We consider Nate a valuable member of our defense and believe he will play an important role in re-establishing our defense as one of the toughest units in the league," general manager Marv Levy said in a press release. Levy added he remains optimistic the Bills can negotiate a long-term deal with Clements, who was considered one of the prime defensive backs on the market.

Link

Now if Marv said all that, and really feels that way, why would he 'box himself in'???

Why would he not, at the very least, retain the option to match an offer sheet or receive some compensation for losing one of the elite DB's in the league???

Marv's not an idiot, agreed?

Clements will wear Bills' Blue next season.

DB Coach George Catavolos (GC): Congrats, Nate. The Bills are going to pay you the money you deserve.

Nate: They are??

GC: Yeah, you got tagged, so you get top 5 CB pay!

Nate: It's just this year though, right?

GC: Yes, just for this year.

Nate: Excellent... you promise it's just this year?

GC: You don't need my promise, I talked to Marv and it's a done deal

---

Media: What the team did not announce, but which is a fairly significant caveat, is that the deal included a promise that the Bills will not exercise the franchise tag again next spring to retain Clements' rights.