5 all-time best moments, 5 all-time worst

John Gianelli

Wondering what peoples' 5 all-time best Bills moments/events were, and 5 all-time worst.

My best:

1. 1965 Championship game

2. 1964 Championship game

3. Playoff win over Houston, biggest comeback ever

4. 51-3 playoff win over Raiders

5. going to 4 straight Super Bowls

Honorable mention: O.J. gets 2,000 yards

My worst:

1. Wide right

2. losing 4 straight Super Bowls

3. 0 for 70s vs. Miami

4. Home-run Throwback

5. 1966 loss to K.C., preventing trip to first AFL-NFL Championship

Honorable mention: O.J.'s fall from grace

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering what peoples' 5 all-time best Bills moments/events were, and 5 all-time worst.

867467[/snapback]

51 - 3;

@ Miami 1987, Robb Riddick 3 TDs in 2nd half;

vs New England early '80s Fergy to Roland Hooks;

Mid '80s vs Dallas 2nd play Greg Bell TD (Landrys admitted "worst game");

ANY late '80s early '90s K - Gun when McKeller was the next Winslow.

Early '80s MNF @ Dallas when Fergy lost his shoe;

Homerun ripoff;

Roosevelt Leaks fumbling in Tampa;

"Just give it to him";

Andre Reed getting mugged in SB 26 & throwing his helmet in frustration, Washington safety (?) saying "Hey, Ref - look!" and flag being thrown.

personal bias because i was there that day, but the day we ended shula's career was a top-fiver for me.  particularly since you can't call a 4 straight SBs a "moment," or probably not an "event" either.    but whatever.

867491[/snapback]

You're right. Maybe all-time best memories?

1. 51-3 knowing at halftime we're going to the Superbowl.

2. Comeback game

3. 10-7 win over Denver (only TD was Carlton Bailey)

4. 31-0 opening day New England (Spikes first game- who IS this GUY!)

5. Don Beebe knocking ball from Leon Lett.

1. Worst: 1st bowl

2. 2nd bowl

3. 3rd bowl

4. 4th bowl

5. Ronnie Harmon game

face it, we had two bad QBs fighting it out that season. RJ did what he had to do that day. the game was lost by one really bad special teams play, as any close game could be.

it still hurts doesn't it?

i remember watching the game in my girlfriends apartment that day...she had just acompanied me to the famous "rob johnson game" the week before. we had met john butler after the game, and suddenly,after one trip to orchard park, she was an addicted bills fan. when the kick went throught the uprights she was running around the house yelling..."WHO'S NEXT?!"

i said witha smirk on my face, "now hoooooold on a minute lassie, we still gotta cover this kick!"

:ph34r:

That prevented our 5th SB berth. I won't turn this into a Flutie RJ thread but though RJ played well i still think it was a distraction. And I'm drunk right now.

867504[/snapback]

I thought RJ played well that game, but overall as a team I think we would have played better and wouldnt have been in that situation if Flutie was playing. No real facts to back it up ... just a feeling.

face it, we had two bad QBs fighting it out that season.  RJ did what he had to do that day.  the game was lost by one really bad special teams play, as any close game could be. 

867507[/snapback]

Two bad QB's? I dont consider myself a Flutie homer or anything, but he did have 5,800 yards, 39 TD's and 27 INT's up to that point in his Bills career. Not sure how that is bad. Lets face it ... he was getting up there in age, and he wasnt going to be the QB of the future, but he had about a 68% winning percentage with the Bills (AKA about 11 wins a season).

cmon!  he was AWFUL that season!  the word was out...just keep #7 in the pocket and the bills offense is non-existent!  i know he wasn't the son of satan as some have portrayed him, but god, please don't defend his play that season.  he sucked!

867516[/snapback]

:ph34r: He had the best rushing year of his career that year (nearly 500 yards rushing that year)

Flutie really had a rough stretch during THREE games that year. Take away those THREE games and the other 14 he had 2,500 yards, 15 TD's and 9 INT's. Not great, but NOT horrible either.

:ph34r:  He had the best rushing year of his career that year (nearly 500 yards rushing that year)

Flutie really had a rough stretch during THREE games that year. Take away those THREE games and the other 14 he had 2,500 yards, 15 TD's and 9 INT's. Not great, but NOT horrible either.

867520[/snapback]

The "just take out his bad performances and his stats look good argument" is always problematic (people often used it in reverse to devalue Travis Henry—you know, the old "take away his big run and he only averaged 2 ypc" argument). Even though I agree that Flutie was not awful in 1999. the fact remains that the Bills offense was very ineffective that season. They kicked a lot of field goals, and struggled against good defenses. Part of it was Joe Pendry's second-year mental vapor lock, but part of it was that Flutie did not have the success that he enjoyed in 1998. They won a lot of games in 1999 thanks to their defense, and lost several where the offense simply vanished—such as at home to the Giants and Raiders, and in NY to the Jets. I did not agree with pulling Flutie, but also have to say that his play in the second half of that season did not inspire a lot of confidence that he would be able to put up points against playoff team defenses. That was why RJ's 21-point first half against Indy caught everyone's eye. That RJ did not put up many points in TN either suggests that the problems were less with the QB than with the offense in general, but that is another argument.

Two bad QB's? I dont consider myself a Flutie homer or anything, but he did have 5,800 yards, 39 TD's and 27 INT's up to that point in his Bills career. Not sure how that is bad. Lets face it ... he was getting up there in age, and he wasnt going to be the QB of the future, but he had about a 68% winning percentage with the Bills (AKA about 11 wins a season).

867514[/snapback]

Lot of the Bills wins in those 2 years were due to a solid defense. The difference between Flutie and RJ was that flutie knew how to finish those games, RJ did not.

Otherwise, we did have two ordinary QBs...(I wouldn't call them bad).

:ph34r:  He had the best rushing year of his career that year (nearly 500 yards rushing that year)

867520[/snapback]

his "3 bad games" cost us homefield in that titans game.

The GOOD...

The Comeback Game still brings tears to my eyes. NFL Films did a wonderful recount of that game, and they still play it on ESPN Classic and the NFL Network from time to time. I'll never forget how surreal that game seemed as we started mounting the comeback. For the Peter Kings of the world out there who want to deny Andre Hall of Fame enshrinement, I point to this game as Exhibit A.

The victory over Miami in 1987 with 0:00 seconds left. That single game not only brought about a swing in our fortunes over Miami, but it also led to our own domination for the next decade.

1990 AFC Championship Game: 50-3 over Oakland. I don't need to say anything that everyone else hasn't already said.

My login ID stems from the 2003 season opener against New England. When we squashed them 31-0, I really thought that the season was going to be special. Remember how awful Brady looked that day? The new defense seemed like it would be such a perfect compliment to what seemed like a fine offense guided by a Bledsoe that we knew and loved back then. My, how things would change in just a few short weeks!

The No-Punt Game in 1992. That was just an all time classic, which no one talks much about. Everyone was anointing the 49ers as the best team in the NFL, and we went into their house and won a shootout in which both Kelly AND Young passed for over 400 yards. Oh, the memories...

Honorable Mention: Hearing Jimmy Johnson exclaim, "They beat the hell out of us!" after a 1999 victory over the Fish.

The BAD...

On a purely personal level, Super Bowl XXVI was the worst, since I live in the Washington area. I had to hear it for days on end from the local "fans". I still hear it! I also hate to say that scores and everything else aside, I have always felt that that was the one game where the team was simply outclassed. I believe if they had won one of the first two, they probably would have found a way to beat the Cowboys.

As much as the Wide Right game hurt, it's more of the rippling effect in hind-sight that it caused than the miss itself. That is, as bad as I felt at the time, I had the impression that the team would make it back -- and that I was at least happy to have seen them in the Big Game and acquit themselves rather well. Of course, if I knew then...

Homerun Throw Forward... To be honest I've never been able to tell whether that ball was a legal lateral or not. It was very close either way. The sad thing is that it didn't matter -- because whether it was forward or behind by an inch, the net outcome would have been the same. That is, the Titans caught our Special Teams napping, which is unforgivable. Like the Wide Right kick, I think the significance of that one play had a rippling effect that even superseded it's own action. Remember, Wade made DeHaven the scapegoat for the loss, hired his buddy Ronnie, refused to fire his buddy Ronnie -- which led to his own firing. Uggg.

The loss to Jacksonville in the first round of the 1996 playoffs. It was our first loss at home in the playoffs -- and we really SHOULD have handled that team. Especially sad was watching Kelly being carted off the field, murmuring "I'm Batman!" It would be his last game ever, which makes it even sadder.

The 2004 season finale. I was actually buying into the whole "Billieve" thing. Then saw our "playoff bound" team lose at home to the Steelers' backups.

Dishonorable Mention: The 1998 playoff loss to Miami, when Flutie fumbled just as we were getting ready to score the game tying TD. JJ then led his team in a stomping party of the Flutie Flakes cereal.