First Responder

Corp000085

So, because of my asthma prevention training, first aide and CPR training, and my nonviolent crisis intervention training, i am labeled the "first responder" at my elementary school where i work. Anyhow, today a friend of mine, and a 3rd grade teacher, female, felt faint and laid on the ground. I arrived and noticed symptoms of shock... faintness, shaky arms and legs, pale complexion. Checked pulse and it was 92 BPM. She takes anti depressent meds and blood pressure meds. she had a pinched nerve in her back 2 weeks ago, and thought that it may have been causing her legs to get weak... she had an early period, and has had ovarian cysts in the past.

So, i treated her for shock. i raised her legs up and covered her up. kept her awake, and let her have about 4oz of orange juice. The assistant principal, the kind that always talks to people like she's talking to children, always speaks in the 3rd person, and is a true johnny on the spot type of person shows up and tells me not to give her the juice and to do this and that. I told her to leave... but that's neither here nor there. Anyways, why am i telling you this? I just want to know if i treated symptoms of shock correctly... elevated legs, allowed her to drink because she was thirsty (and to maybe give her some sugar), covered her with a blanket, and kept her awake. At this point, it doesn't really matter... i pretty much established myself as the alpha wolf today with the VP, but i just need to know that i'm right and she's wrong.

the victim is ok, if anyone cares... she ruptured another ovarian cyst, and had back pain because she was laying on the floor. Don't know if surgery is required, but she'll be fine.

So, because of my asthma prevention training, first aide and CPR training, and my nonviolent crisis intervention training, i am labeled the "first responder" at my elementary school where i work.  Anyhow, today a friend of mine, and a 3rd grade teacher, female, felt faint and laid on the ground.  I arrived and noticed symptoms of shock...  faintness, shaky arms and legs, pale complexion.  Checked pulse and it was 92 BPM.  She takes anti depressent meds and blood pressure meds.  she had a pinched nerve in her back 2 weeks ago, and thought that it may have been causing her legs to get weak...  she had an early period, and has had ovarian cysts in the past. 

So, i treated her for shock.  i raised her legs up and covered her up.  kept her awake, and let her have about 4oz of orange juice.  The assistant principal, the kind that always talks to people like she's talking to children, always speaks in the 3rd person, and is a true johnny on the spot type of person shows up and tells me not to give her the juice and to do this and that.  I told her to leave...  but that's neither here nor there.  Anyways, why am i telling you this?  I just want to know if i treated symptoms of shock correctly...  elevated legs, allowed her to drink because she was thirsty (and to maybe give her some sugar), covered her with a blanket, and kept her awake.  At this point, it doesn't really matter...  i pretty much established myself as the alpha wolf today with the VP, but i just need to know that i'm right and she's wrong. 

the victim is ok, if anyone cares...  she ruptured another ovarian cyst, and had back pain because she was laying on the floor.  Don't know if surgery is required, but she'll be fine.

866873[/snapback]

Was she hot? Just making sure that wasn't why you elevated her legs... :censored: In the miltary they don't tell us anything about elevating the legs for shock but to cover the individual and talk to them to keep them calm.

So, because of my asthma prevention training, first aide and CPR training, and my nonviolent crisis intervention training, i am labeled the "first responder" at my elementary school where i work.  Anyhow, today a friend of mine, and a 3rd grade teacher, female, felt faint and laid on the ground.  I arrived and noticed symptoms of shock...  faintness, shaky arms and legs, pale complexion.  Checked pulse and it was 92 BPM.  She takes anti depressent meds and blood pressure meds.  she had a pinched nerve in her back 2 weeks ago, and thought that it may have been causing her legs to get weak...  she had an early period, and has had ovarian cysts in the past. 

So, i treated her for shock.  i raised her legs up and covered her up.  kept her awake, and let her have about 4oz of orange juice.  The assistant principal, the kind that always talks to people like she's talking to children, always speaks in the 3rd person, and is a true johnny on the spot type of person shows up and tells me not to give her the juice and to do this and that.  I told her to leave...  but that's neither here nor there.  Anyways, why am i telling you this?  I just want to know if i treated symptoms of shock correctly...  elevated legs, allowed her to drink because she was thirsty (and to maybe give her some sugar), covered her with a blanket, and kept her awake.  At this point, it doesn't really matter...  i pretty much established myself as the alpha wolf today with the VP, but i just need to know that i'm right and she's wrong. 

the victim is ok, if anyone cares...  she ruptured another ovarian cyst, and had back pain because she was laying on the floor.  Don't know if surgery is required, but she'll be fine.

866873[/snapback]

Oh, I just love dispensing medical advice on a football message board. :censored:

Sounds okay to me. The only thing I'd debate is giving her the juice...in retrospect, given the symptoms at the time, you couldn't have known it wasn't the wrong thing to do.

Was she hot? Just making sure that wasn't why you elevated her legs...  :censored:  In the miltary they don't tell us anything about elevating the legs for shock but to cover the individual and talk to them to keep them calm.

866887[/snapback]

Elevating the legs forces more blood to the torso and head, mitigating the effects of low blood pressure (if you're in shock, the legs have far less of a need for blood flow than, say, the brain). I don't know that it would be useful or advisable in a battlefield situation...but it's certainly appropriate medically.

I did the OJ method because she had been standing in the heat of a stage for a christmas performance. But elevating the legs is important because it keeps blood in the brain/torso. And to answer hte big question, she's a mom, but definitely not a MILF.

I did the OJ method because she had been standing in the heat of a stage for a christmas performance.  But elevating the legs is important because it keeps blood in the brain/torso.  And to answer hte big question, she's a mom, but definitely not a MILF.

866978[/snapback]

SAme as the above, i am red cross first aid and CPR certified, and sounds to me like you did everything correctly. Good job!

SAme as the above, i am red cross first aid and CPR certified, and sounds to me like you did everything correctly. Good job!

866985[/snapback]

thank you. i was about 99.5% confident i did everything right, but because i was questioned, i had that 0.5% doubt. Next time i'll just punch the asst. principal in the jaw. That'll shut her the hell up.

I did the OJ method because she had been standing in the heat of a stage for a christmas performance.  But elevating the legs is important because it keeps blood in the brain/torso.  And to answer hte big question, she's a mom, but definitely not a MILF.

866978[/snapback]

You stabbed her?

thank you.  i was about 99.5% confident i did everything right, but because i was questioned, i had that 0.5% doubt.  Next time i'll just punch the asst. principal in the jaw.  That'll shut her the hell up.

866989[/snapback]

Simply another case of no good deed going unpunished.

Good on you man. I'm envious of people who are good in emergencies.

Simply another case of no good deed going unpunished.

Good on you man. I'm envious of people who are good in emergencies.

867066[/snapback]

see, i don't really see myself as being good... just extremely confident in my ability to act with good instincts. That leads to the person being calm and everyone else looking at me as a leader.

thanks for the compliment though!

Good work. The only thing I'd add, in addition to all your training, is a lawyer, because one of these days you'll save someone's life and as sure as I'm sitting here, they'll take you to court for one thing or another.

867085[/snapback]

and they'll lose

Everything was spot on, but the juice.

867710[/snapback]

Juice was because of the heat under the stage lights (he said so in a later post). In which case...though I'd normally agree with you, I think he was right in this case.

I think. I'm honestly not sure. But it's probably what I would have done.

Juice was because of the heat under the stage lights (he said so in a later post).  In which case...though I'd normally agree with you, I think he was right in this case.

I think.  I'm honestly not sure.  But it's probably what I would have done.

867711[/snapback]

Here is where I confirmed my understanding.

Source