O-line

silvermike

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6242424

The power rankings are somewhat interesting in and of themselves, but if you scroll down to the Bills, you get this interesting fact:

During their Week 8 bye, the Bills switched tackle Jason Peters from the right side to the left side, replacing him with Terrance Pennington, a seventh-round rookie from New Mexico. Apparently, they have no faith in Pennington, because they've almost completely stopped running to the right. From Weeks 1-7, Buffalo had 24 runs right guard, 25 right tackle, and 22 right end. In Weeks 9-13, those numbers are 6, 4, and 6.

Ouch. Top priority for 2007: Right Tackle. #2: Right Guard. And it looks like Marv knows it.

The power rankings are somewhat interesting in and of themselves, but if you scroll down to the Bills, you get this interesting fact:

Ouch.  Top priority for 2007: Right Tackle.  #2: Right Guard.  And it looks like Marv knows it.

858902[/snapback]

Talk about telegraphing your plays... :)

Ouch.  Top priority for 2007: Right Tackle.  #2: Right Guard.  And it looks like Marv knows it.

858902[/snapback]

I still think the top priority has to be finding a way to stop the other team from running all over us. We'll never win consistantly until we can do that.

The offensive line has been better since we put Pennington in there. It's tough to comment on his play, though, since I've only been able to watch the last two games on my radio.

During their Week 8 bye, the Bills switched tackle Jason Peters from the right side to the left side, replacing him with Terrance Pennington, a seventh-round rookie from New Mexico. Apparently, they have no faith in Pennington, because they've almost completely stopped running to the right. From Weeks 1-7, Buffalo had 24 runs right guard, 25 right tackle, and 22 right end. In Weeks 9-13, those numbers are 6, 4, and 6.

Ouch. Top priority for 2007: Right Tackle. #2: Right Guard. And it looks like Marv knows it.

858902[/snapback]

Either that, or it shows how much confidence the Bills DO have in Peters. I'd be curious to know what those percentages looked like before the switch was made.

But the pass blocking has gotten better. There's another way to look at it. We have a rookie 7th round pick playing RT and he isn't getting killed out there. OL takes time to mature, give the kid some time. His pass block skills are at least serviceable at the moment. Give him an offseason to get stronger and see where you are. Peters was playing special teams his rookie year, this kid is starting....

858902[/snapback]

Either that, or it shows how much confidence the Bills DO have in Peters. I'd be curious to know what those percentages looked like before the switch was made.

858911[/snapback]

I agree, whoever wrote that is really dumb. If Peters is our best lineman and he used to be on the right side then naturally we would run there, and now that he is on the left we would switch to run behind him on that side, thats why the numbers have switched, not because Pennington sucks. :)

It's fine that we prefer to run behind Peters than anyone else, but that doesn't mean we can get away with ONLY running to one side of the offense. Eventually, that weakness will get exploited. It's possible that Pennington will come around and negate the need, but as it stands now, we simply are unwilling to run to the right. And this doesn't excuse the guard spot.

I still think the top priority has to be finding a way to stop the other team from running all over us.  We'll never win consistantly until we can do that.

The offensive line has been better since we put Pennington in there.  It's tough to comment on his play, though, since I've only been able to watch the last two games on my radio.

858909[/snapback]

We had a top 10 rush defense for 2 or 3 straight years ... and in those years we didnt make the playoffs once.

But the pass blocking has gotten better.  There's another way to look at it.  We have a rookie 7th round pick playing RT and he isn't getting killed out there.  OL takes time to mature, give the kid some time.  His pass block skills are at least serviceable at the moment.  Give him an offseason to get stronger and see where you are.  Peters was playing special teams his rookie year, this kid is starting....

858912[/snapback]

Not to mention that Duke Preston is playing RG not the turnstile...I mean CV...

Could it possibly be that they would rather have DP & TP focus on one aspect of playing on the OL, such as Pass-blocking, while learning the flow of the game by getting a good grasp of playing every down...I'm pretty sure that if an OL can pass block, they should be decent at run blocking; These guys have started how games in the NFL in these positions? Give me a break...

Why not?  Every single team we've played has run all over us while the offensive line has been showing signs of life the last few weeks.

858942[/snapback]

Because we have PROVEN in the past that with a great defense and poor offense, your not going anywhere. We need an offense, of which we havent had one since the first half of 2002.

Because we have PROVEN in the past that with a great defense and poor offense, your not going anywhere. We need an offense, of which we havent had one since the first half of 2002.

858945[/snapback]

We should wait till the end of the season to see how much of an offense we have, I know special teams and defense has scored a lot of our points, but it stands to note that in our last 5 games, we've scored over 20 points in 4 of them.

Getting a run-stuffer should be the top priority in the draft, I think. Looking into upgrading the OL should be at least a thought to be the top priority in free agency and in later in the draft.

The reason I say this is because run-stuffers are expensive in free agency and these players age fast. Luckily, the Bills have fully addressed LT with a fairly inexpensive player... making it much more affordable to have a good OL across the board.

I'd be curious to know what those percentages looked like before the switch was made.

858911[/snapback]

That stat needs all kinds of context. The Bills have shelved the revolutionary run the ball for no gain offense that they employed earlier in the season. 16 runs to your "weak" side over five games might not be so out of whack now that the ball is in the air. Less running plays to go around.

That stat needs all kinds of context. The Bills have shelved the revolutionary run the ball for no gain offense that they employed earlier in the season. 16 runs to your "weak" side over five games might not be so out of whack now that the ball is in the air. Less running plays to go around.

858983[/snapback]

That's a point.

But the opposition has game film, they are spotting things, tendencies throughout the game.

Nothing is certain, but there are situations where the odds of a run are a bit more than a pass. So if a lot of those runs tend left, it can be a problem.

And defensive players with experience pick up subtle cues from the offensive linemen that give them hints of whether they are planning to run or pass block.

It could be that since the right side is pretty much made up of Rookies, they don't trust running a bunch of plays to that side and getting them killed. Maybe they just want to get them used to playing before running more plays that way. Like how they kept JP in the pocket to learn, and unleashed him later.

I would not e surprised to see the bills spread the running game around to both sides in the next game or 2 now that Preston and pennington have experience.