To those who watched the debates. . .

On points I give a slight edge to Bush. On style I give a bigger edge to Bush.

Bush actually got Kerry on the defensive for the first time probably in Kerry's life as a debater. Also, contrary to another thread, I think Bush did a good job changing his intonation. On national defense issues he spoke strongly. On domestic issues he was more conversational.

Kerry did an excellent job hitting the Democratic talking points, but too many were the same statements from the last debate and they sounded a bit repetitive. Kerry had 2-3 questions where he convinced himself he has a clear position on something but most people watching, including the one asking the question, were left shrugging their shoulders.

Overall, I think the debate will help Bush. He showed up to this one, and surpassed lowered expectations. There was a huge contrast between this and the first.

By the way -- you need some wood?

On points I give a slight edge to Bush.  On style I give a bigger edge to Bush. 

Bush actually got Kerry on the defensive for the first time probably in Kerry's life as a debater.  Also, contrary to another thread, I think Bush did a good job changing his intonation.  On national defense issues he spoke strongly.  On domestic issues he was more conversational.

Kerry did an excellent job hitting the Democratic talking points, but too many were the same statements from the last debate and they sounded a bit repetitive.  Kerry had 2-3 questions where he convinced himself he has a clear position on something but most people watching, including the one asking the question, were left shrugging their shoulders.

Overall, I think the debate will help Bush.  He showed up to this one, and surpassed lowered expectations.  There was a huge contrast between this and the first.

By the way -- you need some wood?

62495[/snapback]

Sorry, I forgot to write my post . . .

What's this about wood?

62526[/snapback]

bush had earlier said that kerry's plan would hurt too many small business owners

kerry was speaking on tax cuts and commented that the small business owners bush mentioned included bush who got like $80 out of a timber company

bush came right back with 'i own a timber company? .... thats news to me! ... anybody wanna buy some wood?'

bush had earlier said that kerry's plan would hurt too many small business owners

kerry was speaking on tax cuts and commented that the small business owners bush mentioned included bush who got like $80 out of a timber company

bush came right back with 'i own a timber company? .... thats news to me! ... anybody wanna buy some wood?'

That was a classic moment. It reminded the American people why they like this guy so much on a personal level.

Kerry was under the spotlight, most glaringly with the abortion question. He nuanced and farted his way to a non-answer that took at least 2 minutes. I guess he must have a hard time coming to grips with attempting to be a Catholic and pro-choice at the same time. Doesn't really work. Either become an Episcopalian and remain pro-choice or become pro-life and remain Catholic. Kerry can't even provide a clear answer on this issue, as he is conflicted by it, being pulled in two different directions. If he can't deal with an issue like that, how can he possibly fight a war on terror?

I also liked his response to tort reform, which was all of 5 seconds long.

<_<:(:lol::lol:

Kerry was under the spotlight, most glaringly with the abortion question.  He nuanced and farted his way to a non-answer that took at least 2 minutes.  I guess he must have a hard time coming to grips with attempting to be a Catholic and pro-choice at the same time.  Doesn't really work.  Either become an Episcopalian and remain pro-choice or become pro-life and remain Catholic.  Kerry can't even provide a clear answer on this issue, as he is conflicted by it, being pulled in two different directions.  If he can't deal with an issue like that, how can he possibly fight a war on terror?

I also liked his response to tort reform, which was all of 5 seconds long.

<_<  :(  :lol:  :lol:

62539[/snapback]

I thought his answer was absolutely great. It made perfect sense to me, and I am not of the same religious faith or stance on the issue as he is. I thought that was one of his better moments. It just goes to show you how divided we are, but that is not necessarily a bad thing all the time. It's okay to have a different POV on an serious issue like that. I understand the other side, I just don't agree with it whatsoever. I thought his answer was remarkable in its clarity and reason and fairness to everyone.

I heard somebody say that Bush did so much better because he was in a much more personal environment....he doesn't do nearly as well when he's in a sterile environment. Makes sense, since people who meet him say he's so likeable etc. but he stammers so much in the formal debate atmosphere.

I thought his answer was absolutely great. It made perfect sense to me, and I am not of the same religious faith or stance on the issue as he is. I thought that was one of his better moments. It just goes to show you how divided we are, but that is not necessarily a bad thing all the time. It's okay to have a different POV on an serious issue like that. I understand the other side, I just don't agree with it whatsoever. I thought his answer was remarkable in its clarity and reason and fairness to everyone.

Even Howard Fineman and Ron Reagan Jr. thought his response to the abortion question was incoherent.

I say a draw. I also called the first debate a draw (listened on NPR, did not watch). This campaign is a classic Democrat/Republican campaign. Each candidate is giving the classic stances of their party. Everyone knows the key is the independent voter.

I think independents have been turned upside down in this race. Your typical Libertarian votes Republican because of economic issues but has to be appalled by Iraq and may go with Kerry. Your independent who usually gets turned off by the Republican stance on abortion, religion in schools, and other social issues may ignore Bush's policies in that regard for the sake of consistency in the war against global terrorism.

Even Howard Fineman and Ron Reagan Jr. thought his response to the abortion question was incoherent.

62548[/snapback]

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. To me, he said he doesn't believe in abortion. His religious belief is against it. he is against it as a man of his particular faith. But he knows that America and Americans have varying beliefs, many of which are not like his. And that he cannot decide for other people, based on what is fair in the constitution, so that he would want to counsel and educate people on other decisions outside of abortion. I think that is not only extremely clear but extremely fair. And exactly what I want in a controversial issue like this. Here is what he said...

First of all, I cannot tell you how deeply I respect the belief about life and when it begins.  I'm a Catholic, raised a Catholic.  I was an altar boy.  Religion has been a huge part of my life.  It helped lead me through a war, leads me today.

But I can't take what is an article of faith for me and legislate it for someone who doesn't share that article of faith, whether they be agnostic, atheist, Jew, Protestant, whatever.  I can't do that.

But I can counsel people.  I can talk reasonably about life and about responsibility.  I can talk to people, as my wife Teresa does, about making other choices, and about abstinence, and about all these other things that we ought to do as a responsible society.

But as a president, I have to represent all the people in the nation.  And I have to make that judgment.

Now, I believe that you can take that position and not be pro- abortion, but you have to afford people their constitutional rights. And that means being smart about allowing people to be fully educated, to know what their options are in life, and making certain that you don't deny a poor person the right to be able to have whatever the constitution affords them if they can't afford it otherwise.

That's why I think it's important.  That's why I think it's important for the United States, for instance, not to have this rigid ideological restriction on helping families around the world to be able to make a smart decision about family planning.

You'll help prevent AIDS.

You'll help prevent unwanted children, unwanted pregnancies.

You'll actually do a better job, I think, of passing on the moral responsibility that is expressed in your question.  And I truly respect it.

I AM BIASED! I WILL NOT VOTE FOR GEORGE BUSH! (that was for Alaska Darin! ):

I think everyone heard what they wanted from their candidate of choice. Me, with a heavey bias toward Kerry (at this point) thought Kerry sounded and acted like a president. Bush, on the other hand, was just as crazy sounding as usual. Sorry, president Bush seemed to me very much on the defensive from the get-go. Personally, I got a kick out of Kerry using the term "Orwellian" to refer to the implementation of the patriot act. All I could think was, what is the president thinking? Probably something to the effect "what is he saying? What does Orwellian mean?" As someone who has already decided who to vote for, but still fearful that president Bush will win re-election, I wish Kerry would stop deferring to Bush so much. I think Kerry could have laid into him a number of times in both debates, but seems to self-conscious of coming off as the whiney, ogre that the president seems to be. All of these guys pander to the polls...

Personally, I think the president makes an awful presintation of himself, and his attempts at corn-pone humour are sort of embarassing. I think he uses humour at inappropriate times, indicating that he doesn't always grasp things.

I wathced the debate with 3 frinends, one a Bush supporter. At one point, even she said, "you know, I just can't stand lisetning to him for too long. He just makes me nervous." Of course, she will still vote Bush/Cheney, which just confirms to me that we all heard what we wanted to hear. I thought Kerry put the president to shame, but I suspect the polls will reflect fairly even results. A draw!

Kerry can think on his feet, Bush just repeats the same crap, over and over and over (sorry MichFan!). I think he has gotten about as much mileage out of "first he voted for it, then he voted against it". We get it sir, he is a flip-flop. I will go with the flip-flop over the total flop any day. At least a flip-flop stands the chance of getting something right on occaision.

I am sure you all tuned into Bill Mahr afterwards. Mahr had a pretty funny take on this misconception that president Bush is a manly, "tough guy". The rest of the show was pretty off, but just tune into the "new rules" segment at the end. It was pretty funny...

"How can a guy graduate from Yale, but still talk like he gets splinters in his ass when he takes a s*#t!"- Bill Mahr

I AM BIASED!  I WILL NOT VOTE FOR GEORGE BUSH!  (that was for Alaska Darin! ):

I think everyone heard what they wanted from their candidate of choice.  Me, with a heavey bias toward Kerry (at this point)  thought Kerry sounded and acted like a president.  Bush, on the other hand, was just as crazy sounding as usual.  Sorry, president Bush seemed to me very much on the defensive from the get-go.  Personally, I got a kick out of Kerry using the term "Orwellian" to refer to the implementation of the patriot act.  All I could think was, what is the president thinking?  Probably something to the effect "what is he saying?  What does Orwellian mean?"  As someone who has already decided who to vote for, but still fearful that president Bush will win re-election, I wish Kerry would stop deferring to Bush so much.  I think Kerry could have laid into him a number of times in both debates, but seems to self-conscious of coming off as the whiney, ogre that the president seems to be.  All of these guys pander to the polls...

Personally, I think the president makes an awful presintation of himself, and his attempts at corn-pone humour are sort of embarassing. I think he uses humour at inappropriate times, indicating that he doesn't always grasp things.

I wathced the debate with 3 frinends, one a Bush supporter.  At one point, even she said, "you know, I just can't stand lisetning to him for too long.  He just makes me nervous."  Of course, she will still vote Bush/Cheney, which just confirms to me that we all heard what we wanted to hear.  I thought Kerry put the president to shame, but I suspect the polls will reflect fairly even results. A draw! 

Kerry can think on his feet, Bush just repeats the same crap, over and over and over (sorry MichFan!).  I think he has gotten about as much mileage out of "first he voted for it, then he voted against it".  We get it sir, he is a flip-flop.  I will go with the flip-flop over the total flop any day.  At least a flip-flop stands the chance of getting something right on occaision.

I am sure you all tuned into Bill Mahr afterwards.  Mahr had a pretty funny take on this misconception that president Bush is a manly, "tough guy".  The rest of the show was pretty off, but just tune into the "new rules" segment at the end.  It was pretty funny...

"How can a guy graduate from Yale, but still talk like he gets splinters in his ass when he takes a s*#t!"- Bill Mahr

62573[/snapback]

If he lays into him, GWB gets the "sympathy" vote. Likeable idiots have a place in people's hearts. People want to asscociate with a "common" guy.

I don't know, go figure? It is all about perception.

I see Bush as mean, vindictive, pugnacious and petulant. It must be the way he carries himself... Slunches his shoulders forward?

I guess everybody has a take. Kinda weird... 50-50... It is what you can take as an individual.

Again perception is everything.

Where have we gone as a society when we set the bar lower and lower?

The President certainly did better than last time which helps him.

Senator Kerry was laughable with his "read my lips" pledge.

I hope this I have a plan rhetoric starts to numb the American people. In 2000 Hillary spent a lot of time here in WNY talking about how she had a plan for the economic recovery of upstate. Exit polling info showed that one of the main reasons people voted for Hillary is because they felt she had a plan. We're still waiting.

Bush didn't twitch as much, but it was there. Instead he strutted around like a little rooster. He did better this time, the town hall is his milieu. I agree that Kerry's abortion answer was pretty incoherent but several of Bush's were likewise.

Bush teed up a few for Kerry last night that he could have hit out of the park had he chosen to, or perhaps he didn't notice. When Bush was cornered on Iraq and started to blame his generals I would have loved to hear Kerry say that getting bad advice may not have been his fault but as President the buck stops with him...shoot, even JFK took the blame for the Bay of Pigs, which he inherited from Nixon and Eisenhower, because it happened on his watch and he was responsible.

Bush's inability to admit to ever making a mistake is something to behold.

And I thought his jokes were pretty un-Presidential. Not necessarily the words but the delivery. He giggled! He's a joke.

But as I said, even though he acted on occasion like the village idiot I will admit he did far better than the first debate.

The lumber remark by Bush was pretty funny...although I'm sure he's laughing a lot less now that he knows it was true.  The fact that Kerry found that out in the first place shows to me just how much preparation both canidates must go through before these debates.

62620[/snapback]

The fact that Kerry found out the becuase Bush received $80 from a lumber company he "owns" that makes him a small business owner and that's why he and Dick Cheney are fighting the tax increase because it will harm small business owners. What a crock.

What they are referring to is anyone filing a schedule C or filing as a sub chapter S-Corp and making over $200k per year........not $80! That translates into your local dry cleaner, beautician, contractor, landscape company owner, liquor store owner, restaurant owner, etc. And if you think these people are not making that much money you're probably wrong.

I have a client who started a small business this year and will file under an S-Corp. They are netting in profit in excess of $100k per month! That will go to her and her sister as income and taxed at their rate. They are freaking out as to where they will get the money to pay the taxes. And if Kerry gets elected their taxes will increase by 5%. That's $60k in additional taxes. Guess who is hiring one to two less people next year if Kerry gets elected? Get it??

A slight win for the president. The main reason I say that is because his performance (not substance) was lacking in the 1st debate and that was the only difference there. kerry did nothing more this time, same rhetoric, same level of promising spending , and feeling our pain. So there was really nowhere for kerry to go, I mean what was he going to do promise a trillion more in new goverment programs. <_<

GWB did ok, especially as he got more attention directed towards kerrys weak senate record.

But what I realized was kerry may be impossible to beat in a debate. The reason is, he has no hesitation at all to say anything. Really, he made more promises, with less substance then even our good friend slick willy. There is no way to challenge kerry because he will never be asked any tough questions by the elite media, nor will he even answer if he was asked directly. He truely understands that he can say litterally anything. hell at one point last night, he even told the president that he owned a lumber company. Of course all the president could do was thank johhny for the information because it was news to him. There is really no way to deal with this type of weasel.....he will do and say anything.

I'm still waiting for Kerry to answer the question posed by the women; "We have not been attacked on US Soil since 9/11. Why do you think that is?"

Kerry responded something to the effect that: "I've asked in my security briefings why that is, and I can't go into all the answers, et cetera, but let me say this to you. Bush Bad. I'm not Bush, so I'm not bad."

What a maroon.

And Chef...

They are freaking out as to where they will get the money to pay the taxes.

That's what they gotta pay them quarterly, man. I know, you know that. But when you see it coming in, you know some of it's gonna go back out.

But it's the extra amount Kerry wants to tax us that will keep a small business like mine from hiring more people. He keeps referring to "taxing the 2%" and hopes that anyone not making $200K will say "Yeah, let's get the rich bastards."

I'm not rich. I own my own company as an S-Corp. I'm about to hire another person. But I'm waiting to see if Kerry is elected so I'll know whether I can afford it. If he's elected, I won't be able to expand because I'm too small and can't afford to give extra money back to the government while providing this person a salary, benefits, etc. And it'll start with giving back the tax cut I received when he rolls that back.

I wish I invented ketchup. This wouldn't be happening to me.

A slight win for the president. The main reason I say that is because his performance (not substance) was lacking in the 1st debate and that was the only difference there. kerry did nothing more this time, same rhetoric, same level of promising spending , and feeling our pain. So there was really nowhere for kerry to go, I mean what was he going to do promise a trillion more in new goverment programs. <_<

GWB did ok, especially as he got more attention directed towards kerrys weak senate record.

But what I realized was kerry may be impossible to beat in a debate. The reason is, he has no hesitation at all to say anything. Really, he made more promises, with less substance then even our good friend slick willy. There is no way to challenge kerry because he will never be asked any tough questions by the elite media, nor will he even answer if he was asked directly. He truely understands that he can say litterally anything. hell at one point last night, he even told the president that he owned a lumber company. Of course all the president could do was thank johhny for the information because it was news to him. There is really no way to deal with this type of weasel.....he will do and say anything.

62658[/snapback]

John Kerry will turn our country over to foreign rule.The President should have taken the oportunity to exploit his oposition to a world court.Kerry is on record as being in favor of it.

Without having watched the debate (which I did),I could have told you Bush won the debate.All one would have to do his look at the reports this morning and there is little of nothing mentioned about them by the liberal media.Kerry is not the man to lead this country and most liberals know it ,but the cant bring themselves to vote for Bush.There is nothing wishy washy about Bush ,Kerry blows with the wind,.and he is sneaky

Did you know he owns four properties? Bush owns one. Bush paid 250,00 dollars in taxes Kerry paid 90,000.Kerry even had a barn dismantled in a foreign country and re assembled ove here for one of the properties. Kerry is a liberal elitist and he will tax you heaveily .The small business man that does make over tow hundred thousand will have to pay a higher tax will either have to go out of business or charge you more ofr his services. Who in their right minds wants more taxes.? Many people country wnat more and they want some body else who has worked hard to pay for them.

John Kerry will turn our country over to foreign rule.The President should have taken the oportunity to exploit his oposition to a world court.Kerry is on record as being in favor of it.

Without having watched the debate (which I did),I could have told you Bush won the debate.All one would have to do his look at the reports this morning and there is little of nothing mentioned about them by the liberal media.Kerry is not the man to lead this country and most liberals know it  ,but the cant bring themselves to vote for Bush.There is nothing wishy  washy about Bush ,Kerry blows with the wind,.and he is sneaky

Did you know he owns four properties? Bush owns one. Bush paid 250,00 dollars in taxes Kerry paid 90,000.Kerry even had a barn dismantled in a foreign country and re assembled ove here for one of the properties. Kerry is a liberal elitist and he will tax you heaveily .The small business man that does make over tow hundred thousand will have to pay a higher tax will either have to go out of business or charge you more ofr his services. Who in their right minds wants more taxes.? Many people country wnat more and they want some body else who has worked hard to pay for them.

62671[/snapback]

And who pays for the security of John John and Tuhrayyyyzah's chateaus, chalets and castles from Idaho to the Iberian peninsula? Why pays for the secret service keeping a 24/7 watch on those properties......You do of course.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: John Kerry, you egotistical brahmin bastard.

I AM BIASED!  I WILL NOT VOTE FOR GEORGE BUSH!  (that was for Alaska Darin! ):

62573[/snapback]

You were right about one thing in your post: you definately heard what you wanted to. Try watching the next debate liking the other candidate. Then you'll be able to figure out that they're both pretty much idiots.

Senator Kerry can think on his feet? If repeating the same things he's been stumping for almost a year qualifies as thinking on his feet, I guess you're right.

The fact that there is no follow-ups to the questions to get these two even more on the defensive is sad. There was a point in the debate when they were talking about their new spending plans and the numbers didn't even come close to adding up. Adding 2.2 TRILLION while bringing in $6-800 BILLION in revenue doesn't quite add up for these two fiscal "conservatives."

I love the taste of vomit.

You were right about one thing in your post:  you definately heard what you wanted to.  Try watching the next debate liking the other candidate.  Then you'll be able to figure out that they're both pretty much idiots.

Senator Kerry can think on his feet?  If repeating the same things he's been stumping for almost a year qualifies as thinking on his feet, I guess you're right.

The fact that there is no follow-ups to the questions to get these two even more on the defensive is sad.  There was a point in the debate when they were talking about their new spending plans and the numbers didn't even come close to adding up.  Adding 2.2 TRILLION while bringing in $6-800 BILLION in revenue doesn't quite add up for these two fiscal "conservatives."

I love the taste of vomit.

62703[/snapback]

Kerry came out and said the $2.2 trillion number was the Bush campaign using fuzzy math. THAT is the moment when I would have liked Gibson to ask, "Then what IS the number, Senator Kerry. If it's not $2.2 trillion, is it $1.2 trillion, because even THEN you have a significant gap! Where will you come up with the $600 billion dollars????"

Of course, we don't get to go there. Which is too bad. Someone needs to ask Kerry what the number is and how he plans to fund it.

I'm still waiting for Kerry to answer the question posed by the women; "We have not been attacked on US Soil since 9/11. Why do you think that is?"

Kerry responded something to the effect that: "I've asked in my security briefings why that is, and I can't go into all the answers, et cetera, but let me say this to you. Bush Bad. I'm not Bush, so I'm not bad."

What a maroon.

And Chef...

That's what they gotta pay them quarterly, man. I know, you know that. But when you see it coming in, you know some of it's gonna go back out.

But it's the extra amount Kerry wants to tax us that will keep a small business like mine from hiring more people. He keeps referring to "taxing the 2%" and hopes that anyone not making $200K will say "Yeah, let's get the rich bastards."

I'm not rich. I own my own company as an S-Corp. I'm about to hire another person. But I'm waiting to see if Kerry is elected so I'll know whether I can afford it. If he's elected, I won't be able to expand because I'm too small and can't afford to give extra money back to the government while providing this person a salary, benefits, etc. And it'll start with giving back the tax cut I received when he rolls that back.

I wish I invented ketchup. This wouldn't be happening to me.

62667[/snapback]

And how many people in this country are in your situation. And can someone on the left tell me how this helps our economy. These appear to be two very examples of how raising taxes hurts the economy.

And Paco, as far as paying quarterly this really took them by suprise. They've only had the business up and running for probably less than two quarters. Not bad, in business for less than six months and pulling in nearly $100k in profits per month. Tough problem for us to be facing.

And how many people in this country are in your situation.  And can someone on the left tell me how this helps our economy.  These appear to be two very examples of how raising taxes hurts the economy.

And Paco, as far as paying quarterly this really took them by suprise.  They've only had the business up and running for probably less than two quarters.  Not bad, in business for less than six months and pulling in nearly $100k in profits per month.  Tough problem for us to be facing.

62779[/snapback]

Not bad. Must be porn or drugs <_<

They've only had the business up and running for probably less than two quarters.  Not bad, in business for less than six months and pulling in nearly $100k in profits per month.  Tough problem for us to be facing.

62779[/snapback]

This is just the kind of thing that makes this a great country...and pisses off the lefties...all in one fell swoop. These two entrepreneurs havent taken the intiative. Somewhere along the line they, like myself, decided they were never going to progress much father from a career standpoint. And more importantly, I didn't want to find myself 55 years old and waiting to get bumped by my employer. I had to take matters into my own hands.

Like your client, my business has been doing very well, relatively speaking. The key will be growth. Expansion to my business is inevitable, and expansion means I hire more people. We have orders, we have paying customers, we have opportunity...but if Kerry gets elected, I'll be stuck in a holding pattern because he's got half the middle class liberals thinking that I'M the bad guy with all the money!

First thing on his plate: take back my tax cut. Next thing on his plate: increase my tax burden. Last thing on his plate: never even remotely come close to getting a second term because he'll have all but buried the US economy.

This is a fundamental difference between Bush and Kerry, but since most liberals like being dependent upon the government to take care of them, none of them give a crap if people like me get taxed more. Somehow they feel that people with more money SHOULD pony up to cover their co-dependant asses instead of allowing me to contribute to the economy and make more jobs available.

Pathetic, really, when you think about it. Nice to know the first thing he'll do with my extra taxes and socialize health care.

This is just the kind of thing that makes this a great country...and pisses off the lefties...all in one fell swoop. These two entrepreneurs havent taken the intiative. Somewhere along the line they, like myself, decided they were never going to progress much father from a career standpoint. And more importantly, I didn't want to find myself  55 years old and waiting to get bumped by my employer. I had to take matters into my own hands.

Like your client, my business has been doing very well, relatively speaking. The key will be growth. Expansion to my business is inevitable, and expansion means I hire more people. We have orders, we have paying customers, we have opportunity...but if Kerry gets elected, I'll be stuck in a holding pattern because he's got half the middle class liberals thinking that I'M the bad guy with all the money!

First thing on his plate: take back my tax cut. Next thing on his plate: increase my tax burden. Last thing on his plate: never even remotely come close to getting a second term because he'll have all but buried the US economy.

This is a fundamental difference between Bush and Kerry, but since most liberals like being dependent upon the government to take care of them, none of them give a crap if people like me get taxed more. Somehow they feel that people with more money SHOULD pony up to cover their co-dependant asses instead of allowing me to contribute to the economy and make more jobs available.

Pathetic, really, when you think about it. Nice to know the first thing he'll do with my extra taxes and socialize health care.

62859[/snapback]

Thanks for saving me time for typing a belated response in another thread about the bad corporate America.