What good do lawn signs do?

One of my neighbors has lawn signs for about 5 different candidates. The house across from them has a sign for the DA candidate who is opposing the one on the other lawn, so 5 sign put up a second sign against 1 sign for the DA race.

Does anyone know what these people are trying to accomplish? I can't see what a lawn sign does for a candidate. There can't be anyone who would see a sign in a neighbor's yard & say "Joe's voting for Smith, I will too" There are no policy statements or other positions, just the name of the candidate.

Personally, I think almost all politicians (especially at the higher federal levels) are liars & crooks and I choose the one who I agree with on more issues than the other thief. I'll never belong to either major political party for that reason. Are signs just a form of hero worship? These guys aren't worth anyone's worship.

If you're a lawn sign person, I'd really like to know what you're thinking when you plant one in your front yard.

You mean you guys don't base your votes on lawn signs? I've always voted for the guy on the last sign I saw on my way to vote.

Hmmmm. Maybe I shouldn't.

I feel free already. I'll have to call up that guy that lives next to the polling place to tell him he no longer decides my vote.

Any suggestions on a new decision making process?

"Does anyone know what these people are trying to accomplish? I can't see what a lawn sign does for a candidate. There can't be anyone who would see a sign in a neighbor's yard & say "Joe's voting for Smith, I will too" There are no policy statements or other positions, just the name of the candidate."

I never have put a sign up but here are some reasons -

1. You know or are related to the person

2. You work for the person (or one of his relatives)

3. You owe them money (or vice-versa)

4. Job possibilities ?

5. You are a party hack.

6. You just want to piss off the neighbors.

(For years - the house on the corner of my block put every sign possible

It made my election day choices easier knowing who the owners backed) ;)

1. You know or are related to the person

2. You work for the person (or one of his relatives)

4. Job possibilities ?

62450[/snapback]

my dad put up eyesores (aka political ads) on the lawn every once in a while.

1. one of them was for our longtime neighbor who was on the school board. he was a good guy so we were happy to help <_<

1/2/4. my dad was a policeman and knew alot of city council members/candidates, da candidates, etc. one of their shady political tricks was to strike up a personal conversation with cops/fire/city employees, 'hey, how ya doin? how's the wife and kids' and then sneak in a 'hey would you mind putting a sign on your lawn'. kinda hard to say no when they may be signing your paycheck the next couple years :(

Yard signs, when done right, do the following:

1) Create some name recognition for the candidate- especially at the local level. While signs don't vote, they do place the name out there on a subliminal level.

2) They can signal a strong campaign organization to the politico's. We pay attention to how many signs are up are judge a campaign's effectiveness by them.

3) Can signal a campaign's momentum. For example, in the Town of Tonawanda a few years ago- a traditional Republican stronghold- a Dem. Town Council candidate went out one night and must have put up over 750 signs throughout the town. So when you went to sleep there were no signs and in the morning they seemed to appear out of no where and were everywhere. BTW, he won.

4) Can be used to deflate the opponent’s desire to go on. The first year I ran, I made sure that I filled my opponent’s street with my signs. He woke up one morning to find that a good number of his neighbors supported me. That couldn't have felt good.

5) If you get a lot of signs up, they signal to the voters that you are going to win. People like to vote for a winner.

There are a probably a few more reasons that I’m not thinking of this morning.