It's hard...

I just have to wonder how it is that other teams always seem to find talent. Think about SD for a second. Their team boasts Rivers, Gates, Tomlinson, Merriman, and about 15 other guys who could conceivably be Pro Bowlers.

856353[/snapback]

If you consistently finish in the top of the draft.....

The chargers were bad for a few years and had luck fall in their way in those years that they were not only able to draft awesome players but they also did that by trading down those top 1-4 picks.....They get LT for the trade for Michael Vick, when the chargers held the 1st pick. Similarly, they get Philip Rivers and Merriman by trading their first pick to the Giants...

Unfortunately, the bills haven't fallen into the top 5 category except once, when they picked Mike Williams.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you consistently finish in the top of the draft.....

The chargers were bad for a few years and had luck fall in their way in those years that they were not only able to draft awesome players but they also did that by trading down those top 1-4 picks.....They get LT for the trade for Michael Vick, when the chargers held the 1st pick. Similarly, they get  Philip Rivers and Merriman by trading their first pick to the Giants...

Unfortunately, the bills haven't fallen into the top 5 category except once, when they picked Mike Williams.

856738[/snapback]

Correct. Chargers have drafted in the top five picks 3 out of the last 6 years.

It hurts so much cause we all had SB on our minds this year and knew they would make the playoffs. No one predicted the Bills to just improve and not make the playoffs.

How did SD get so good, could have something to do with drafting so high for so many years, and hitting the QB jackpot when they fleeced the Giants over in the Eli Manning deal, they got a better QB and some picks for a decent QB (at best) who did not want to play for them

People make it sound like SD and Cinncy are teams that have been successful every year and never had down years.

As for the typical, "I have been waiting 10 years for them to rebuild" comments, if you want to enjoy football again, you have to throw that thought out the window and remember that this is Marv and DJ's FIRST year in charge and it will take more then 1 year to fix the mess TD left behind. When you can get past that, you will be able to notice a much improved tem that looks like they will be competitive again soon

856560[/snapback]

Believe it or not, since growing up in SD and my dad being a Bolt's fan, the Chargers really got better, at least it seems like it, when they got a bunch of players who would play with heart and really give it their all. They got rid of players like David Boston, and replaced him with guys who would fight every time they touched the ball. Watching people deal with being a Chargers fan from about 1995-2003 makes me feel better in that it could be worse, we could have a team go 1-15 with Ryan Leaf leading us.

I agree w/ a lot of what you say but it's so frustrating that the Jets are probably going to make the Playoffs w/ a first year coach.  Last week some posters were writing about the Playoffs and how we would beat the Jets and the Titans easily and now we are obviously not making the Playoffs.  I hope we beat Jets but I personally think their coach is purely better than ours.  Look what he's done w/ that team e.g. beating the Patriots at home, 7 wins, etc..  They seem like the Patriots at the beginning of their run,  playing tough and winning games and not beating themselves.  I am honestly worried that they are going to dominate the division for the next five years assuming a Patriots dropoff.

856698[/snapback]

I'm not 100% about this, but I am fairly certain that when Mangina took over for the Jets, he didn't install a totally new defensive and offensive scheme, and he didn't have to pare down a roster to include 20 new players. The big difference is he drafted immediately for a solid OL, and that has paid off for him.

I give him credit for beating NE at home, but the reality is, if anyone could do it, it had to be him because of his history there.

In the end, there is no greater waste of time (in any aspect of life) than standing around staring at what someone else has and being frustrated because you don't have it as good as them. Plus, if you look carefully, you can bet your ass someone else is staring at you doing the same damn thing. And that's a lot of wasted time.

In the end, there is no greater waste of time (in any aspect of life) than standing around staring at what someone else has and being frustrated because you don't have it as good as them. Plus, if you look carefully, you can bet your ass someone else is staring at you doing the same damn thing. And that's a lot of wasted time.

857668[/snapback]

Somehow I doubt anyone's looking at the Bills and marvelling how much better we are. Just a hunch.

Oh, and another thing....

Jets draft two OL early and hire from the Belichick coaching tree, and they're making a push for the playoffs. Go figure.

This is what we've been reduced to. Looking up at the Jets in the standings. THE JETS.

:doh:

856360[/snapback]

After the Bills spank them this week the playoffs will be just a dream for them too.

I doubt even THEY look at Buffalo and say "Wow, I wish we were as good as THEM."

:doh:

857672[/snapback]

I didn't say people wish they were as good as us. I said people stand around and wish they had it as good as us.

Exactly what has Oakland done to make anyone look forward to next season? What about Arizona? Hell, the season isn't over and they're already discussing who the next head coach will be. How about the Bucs? The Redskins? The Falcons? Many of them may not realize it at this moment, but we're making more strides forward than any of them. Many will start all over again next year.

Don't give up hope JSP. Donohoe, Williams and Mularkey were an aberration of abrerrations and tore down whatever good was on the team. Where we did have talent Bizarre coaching served to put us into more of a hole. I don't know about Jauron as far as coaching goes (some strange clock management, but overall he seems pretty good...I'm not going to fall into the trap of faint praise by saying he's the best coach since Wade...I actually think he is good.) I like this draft as to talent(but believe we should concentrate on building the offensive and defensive line in order to get to the playoffs...and I think we will this year. I like the way we are playing now, and am looking forward to more improvement in the remainder of the season, and more rebuilding in the off season. I know you don't want to hear this JSP...but wait til next year!!! I'm still very hopeful for this team and think we're generally on the right track.

Correct. Chargers have drafted in the top five picks 3 out of the last 6 years.

857599[/snapback]

The chargers have really been lucky.....They were able to get top 5 picks and in those same years they were able to trade down a few spots and get additional 1st rounders.

The one year the Bills got in the top 5, they had no one wanting that #4 pick and had to pick Mike Williams. They desperately tried trading down but to no avail.

And in those same 6 years, the bills had to give up future draft picks to get extra

players....Those are recipes for disaster. We have given up 1st rounders picks for

Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman. On the other hand the Chargers have

gained 1st round picks that they have parlayed into Merriman and Shaun Phillips

in addition to LT and Rivers.

The chargers have really been lucky.....They were able to get top 5 picks and in those same years they were able to trade down a few spots and get additional 1st rounders.

The one year the Bills got in the top 5, they had no one wanting that #4 pick and had to pick Mike Williams. They desperately tried trading down but to no avail. 

And in those same 6 years, the bills had to give up future draft picks to get extra

players....Those are recipes for disaster.  We have given up 1st rounders picks for

Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman.  On the other hand the Chargers have

857789[/snapback]

Don't forget TWO Day 1 picks for John McCargo.

It's hard, I tell ya. Hard to keep your head up. Hard to admit you're a Bills fan sometimes. I just hope our time comes soon. I want to be able to talk sh-- to other fans. I want to be able to crow to lesser teams' fans.

I'm just wondering if our time will ever come.

Pardon the rant, just had to get that out.

856353[/snapback]

Maybe you just might be taking it a little personal? I have been a bills fan since I was knee high to a grasshopper(mid sixties.) I have never been a shamed to call my self a bills fan. Yes, I have taken my share of crap.......but trust me I have dished out my share too.

Trust me when I say this team has fielded a lot worse teams. The team has gone long peirods with out making the playoffs. But that is no different than any other team in the nfl. I see this team growing in the right direction, and have faith in the bills administration for the first time in several years.

Maybe you just might be taking it a little personal?  I have been a bills fan since I was knee high to a grasshopper(mid sixties.)  I have never been a shamed to call my self a bills fan.  Yes, I have taken my share of crap.......but trust me I have dished out my  share too.

Trust me when I say this team has fielded a lot worse teams.  The team has gone long peirods with out making the playoffs.  But that is no different than any other team in the nfl.  I see this team growing in the right direction, and have faith in the bills administration for the first time in several years.

857806[/snapback]

Nah. And you're not exactly right on that second point. I think this is the longest playoff drought of any period in Bills history.

players....Those are recipes for disaster.  We have given up 1st rounders picks for

Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman.  On the other hand the Chargers have

857789[/snapback]

The chargers have been the Cowboys of the 20s as for being lucky with the draft.

Of course Kudos to Smith for converting those picks to impact players.

I think this is the longest playoff drought of any period in Bills history.

857816[/snapback]

Nope ... we went 7 years(67-73) without making it. Currently it's 6 and we are still in contention for a spot this year. It aint over till its over!!!

The chargers have been the Cowboys of the 20s as for being lucky with the draft.

Of course Kudos to Smith for converting those picks to impact players.

857821[/snapback]

Its more like Kudos to Smith for using those picks to take a chance on those players and having a coaching staff that converted them to impact players. Its not like Smith was at practise teaching them and showing them how to play

I agree w/ a lot of what you say but it's so frustrating that the Jets are probably going to make the Playoffs w/ a first year coach.  Last week some posters were writing about the Playoffs and how we would beat the Jets and the Titans easily and now we are obviously not making the Playoffs.  I hope we beat Jets but I personally think their coach is purely better than ours.  Look what he's done w/ that team e.g. beating the Patriots at home, 7 wins, etc..  They seem like the Patriots at the beginning of their run,  playing tough and winning games and not beating themselves.  I am honestly worried that they are going to dominate the division for the next five years assuming a Patriots dropoff.

856698[/snapback]

With Chad Pennington at QB? Not gonna happen. In fact, I have a feeling he's gonna get hurt this Sunday. Their D is solid with some young talent in place. (Vilma and Thomas). Their O-line is good, and if we were going to trade up, it should have been for Mangold, not McCargo. But, until they improve at the skill positions, the Jets will never win more than nine games, and will never be a real threat in the AFC. This was a year where, for whatever reason, all the chips went their way. That doesn't change the fact we have a brigther future than the Jets, and I GUARANTEE A WIN this SUNDAY.