The picture becoming clearer

Well, I for one am apologizing for bashing Losman. It seems the coaching staff may be cutting him loose a little finally and we are seeing the results. Balance is the key on offense and we can see the Bills have none with just 26 or so yards by the top HB. And again, we see that the Bills downfall is another teams golden egg, the running game. Of course it was LT, which I can live with. I can see real progress. I think the picture is coming clear for next year, or for me anyways. Now the top draft pick can go either way, depending on free agent sigining. The Bills need a top notch run blocking guard and a top notch run stuffing defensive tackle, from there it is up in the air. Control and balance wins games. Protect Losman a little bit more so he doesn't have to force balls in and give Willis a few more lanes and the offense can be there. Now we have seen results with the likes of Ted Washington, Pat Williams and Sam Adams, so the Bills need to go back there. I like fast defensive tackles, but only on third and long and fourth and long. All football starts with the O-line and D-line. I think if Buffalo starts there they are at least in the playoffs next year. Has anyone heard about any deals with Nate Clements for next season? I think it is important for Buffalo to keep him.

Well, I for one am apologizing for bashing Losman. It seems the coaching staff may be cutting him loose a little finally and we are seeing the results. Balance is the key on offense and we can see the Bills have none with just 26 or so yards by the top HB. And again, we see that the Bills downfall is another teams golden egg, the running game. Of course it was LT, which I can live with. I can see real progress. I think the picture is coming clear for next year, or for me anyways. Now the top draft pick can go either way, depending on free agent sigining. The Bills need a top notch run blocking guard and a top notch run stuffing defensive tackle, from there it is up in the air. Control and balance wins games. Protect Losman a little bit more so he doesn't have to force balls in and give Willis a few more lanes and the offense can be there. Now we have seen results with the likes of Ted Washington, Pat Williams and Sam Adams, so the Bills need to go back there. I like fast defensive tackles, but only on third and long and fourth and long. All football starts with the O-line and D-line. I think if Buffalo starts there they are at least in the playoffs next year. Has anyone heard about any deals with Nate Clements for next season? I think it is important for Buffalo to keep him.

855799[/snapback]

How about Rod Coleman and Kris Diehlman?

I thought oline played fine today.

Its hardto run block when one of the top defenses in the nfl is stacking the box.

I agree wholeheartedly about the defensive line however.

855799[/snapback]

Its hardto run block when one of the top defenses in the nfl is stacking the box.

855815[/snapback]

I agree as well; I think the inability to run had as much to do with predictabilty. If you play a team with a strong run D plus make it easy for them by being predictable how do you expect to have success? Most of LT's biggest runs came off draw plays on passing downs. Most of the time when they tried to be smash mouth LT had no gain.

But a run stuffing DT is a must next year. We at least need a big body to bring in on run downs. I wish we had kept Adams for he wasn't too pricey and would have fit into the DT rotation.

So let me ask this question...

Where does Ralph get the money to pay the bonus to get big name guys here?

Its been a issue for 12 years now and nothing has been done... Why do you think things will change now?

See the empty seat? Looks like people are getting wise...

Its been a issue for 12 years now and nothing has been done... Why do you think things will change now?

855850[/snapback]

[/quote

12 years?? idk about that, maybe like 2 on d online has been ok this year since the bye week, not great but we do need to be able to run the ball. 26 yrds on 16 (i think) aint gonna win a gam no matter who you are

855850[/snapback]

[/quote

12 years?? idk about that, maybe like 2 on d online has been ok this year since the bye week, not great but we do need to be able to run the ball. 26 yrds on 16 (i think) aint gonna win a gam no matter who you are

855873[/snapback]

Run and stop the run. It all starts with the linemen.

Isn't Coleman another light guy? Diehlman a good possibility. Will he be available?

855823[/snapback]

Coleman is indeed a light guy, he clocks in at 285, and been one of the best pass rushing DTs in the league having registering double digit sack total in 2004 and 2005 however this year his numbers are down as has only 3.5 going into today.

Dielman will be an UFA after this season and is among those on my short list for possible OG to sign.

Here's a link to site with a good list of 2007 NFL Free Agents

But a run stuffing DT is a must next year. We at least need a big body to bring in on run downs. I wish we had kept Adams for he wasn't too pricey and would have fit into the DT rotation.

855830[/snapback]

The Bills rush defense has actually improved in terms of yards per game. Granted it's only 2 yards but we're not as bad as other teams as last year we ranked 31st this year we're 27th. While I agree we have to work on stopping the run next year let's not forget we'll hopefully have McCargo for a whole season next year and the team will be in their 2nd year under the current system and will hopefully improve. As stated in other threads I don't foresee us heavily pursuing a top flight DT in free agency or using a high pick there but would be in favor of going after a guy like Ian Scott of the Bears to replace Tim Anderson.

Adding McCargo, getting into year 2 of the system, and getting TKO back to 100% are all important. I don't know if they are enough, and I'd like to see some help at D-Line and LB, although O-Line remains my #1 focus. The good news shown in the last month is that we have fewer positions where we say "we have to replace this position no matter what". That allows us to better read the draft and free agency, and get the best talents available in the draft, and the best bargains available in free agency, instead of paying the price of having our hands tied by needs.

855815[/snapback]

I agree. The theme here seems to be "the OL played great" when they win and "they sucked" when they lose, regardless of how well they actually played.

A good TE would really be super. Anybody good in the draft coming out?

... Now we have seen results with the likes of Ted Washington, Pat Williams and Sam Adams, so the Bills need to go back there. ...

855799[/snapback]

I was thinking that today on the way back from watching the game. When we had Ted alone, then Ted/Pat, then Pat/Sam, we had some serious beef clogging up the middle, and you just did not run all over the Bills D. We are sorely missing that now!

For better or for worse, the current defensive scheme is designed around quicker linemen (often referred to as lighter, but I don't see any reason a bigger super athlete couldn't do it even better than a smaller one if speed is comprable) to penetrate and disrupt, and I don't see us shifting that significantly in the immediate future just as the team is getting the system. Maybe some modifications and getting some better personel, but Ted, Pat, and Sam (all of whom I loved) can't do the job that Dick is asking, and that isn't going to change suddenly.

On the plus side, teams spend so much time running all over us that they forget to pass at times. ^_^

Our DL is pretty young. I'd like to see a veteran run-stuffer brought in. It would be nice to draft the best available OG in the 1st round if the Bills are in the mid-teens. A big WR or even a RB in the 2nd round should also be considered. Other than LB, our defense is very young and has some talented players. I'd rather sign some vets for the defense and draft offense next year.

I say resign Clements, Fletch, Gandy and Kelsay. I like our 4 DE rotation and would like to keep it going. In free agency get the best guard possible ( Steinbach, L. Davis, and Dockery are my 3 top choices ), try and dump Anderson for Ian Scott and go after Daniel Graham or Eric Johnson at TE. Let the draft come to us if we can get this done.

I agree.  The theme here seems to be "the OL played great" when they win and "they sucked" when they lose, regardless of how well they actually played.

A good TE would really be super.  Anybody good in the draft coming out?

856138[/snapback]

If he comes out the first TE likely off the draft board would be Zach Miller. He's good and likley to draw comparisons to Todd Heap due to both being from ASU yet it's rare that a rookie make an impact at the position and be a reach if took him in the top 20 of the draft.

And we do get John McCargo back.  I'm not saying he's gonna be a world beater, but he's a quality lineman.

856118[/snapback]

He's not a run stuffer. Our DTs are too light. Before Jason Jefferson was activated off the practice squad we had only one DT over 300 pounds. This defense was going to be susceptible to the run and that was pretty obvious before preseason.