The National Title game SHOULD be...

Cornerville

The Big Ten was down this year..Michigan is a damn good football team...but I give the nod to the Gators...going through the SEC with 1 loss is VERY tough to do....

Tough call...but I say Florida

One reason courtesy of FOX Sports:

Schedule, schedule, schedule. Going into the final weekend of the season, the Gators played the nation's toughest schedule, and it wasn't even close. The cumulative opposition winning percentage was 0.643. Number two Cincinnati was 0.622. That might not seem like much, but it is.

Your opinions?

Fla has the better wins overall. Mich. has the better loss. However, Fla. arguably would've beaten Auburn if not for a highly questionable fumble call. OTOH, they were pretty lucky to beat a couple marginal teams. I don't really buy into the "Mich already had their chance" argument, because it's not their fault they had to play OSU. They were pretty lucky to only lose that game by 3 though w/ a +3 turnover table.

Tough call indeed. I don't really have a problem either way, which doesn't make for fun internet banter.

I don't really buy into the "Mich already had their chance" argument, because it's not their fault they had to play OSU. 

I do. Giving Michigan a free pass for their loss because it was OSU is b.s. Florida's only loss was to a highly ranked team too -- and they played a tougher schedule AND won their conference. That should count for something. Even though I hate FLA I think they deserve it over the 'wild card' Wolverines.

I do.  Giving Michigan a free pass for their loss because it was OSU is b.s.  Florida's only loss was to a highly ranked team too -- and they played a tougher schedule AND won their conference.  That should count for something.  Even though I hate FLA I think they deserve it over the 'wild card' Wolverines.

854589[/snapback]

Yes, clearly I want to give Mich. "a free pass". :thumbdown:

If Auburn had gone undefeated instead of OSU you'd vote Michigan then? Seems like a lame criteria.

The Big Ten was down this year..Michigan is a damn good football team...but I give the nod to the Gators...going through the SEC with 1 loss is VERY tough to do....

Schedule, schedule, schedule. Going into the final weekend of the season, the Gators played the nation's toughest schedule, and it wasn't even close. The cumulative opposition winning percentage was 0.643. Number two Cincinnati was 0.622. That might not seem like much, but it is.

Your opinions?

854504[/snapback]

Yah florida played a very tough schedule. They had 2 grueling games against 1-AA opponents. not to mention they won games against SC and FSU by backing into the victories ass first.

DonteWhitner Posted Today, 01:44 AM

Your opinions?

Would that schedule that FOX Sports is touting include the non-conference games against Central Florida & Western Carolina?

Yes Michigan played Miami(Ohio) & Ball State, and the SEC's own Vanderbilt, and neither of them are Division 1-AA. Not to mention that Michigan went into South Bend and destroyed Notre Dame.

BuffOrange Posted Today, 02:32 AM

Fla has the better wins overall. Mich. has the better loss. However, Fla. arguably would've beaten Auburn if not for a highly questionable fumble call. OTOH, they were pretty lucky to beat a couple marginal teams. I don't really buy into the "Mich already had their chance" argument, because it's not their fault they had to play OSU. They were pretty lucky to only lose that game by 3 though w/ a +3 turnover table.

Tough call indeed. I don't really have a problem either way, which doesn't make for fun internet banter.

Yes you can argue about the fumble against Auburn, but you can also argue that LSU would have beaten Florida had they not fumbled on the Gators 1 yard line.

My point is, turnovers, no matter how much of a fluke they can be at times, do happen and is a part of the game.

I give Florida a lot of credit, they are one helluva good team, and winning the SEC is no easy feat.

I just do not think the Gators are the better match-up for the Buckeyes than the Wolverines would have been.

I am hoping the Wolverines destroy the Trojans, and the Buckeyes trounce the Gators, then we will see how right the BCS was.

IMO Michigan received the biggest screw job than all the orgies of the Roman Empire combined.

:D you BCS.

Yes you can argue about the fumble against Auburn, but you can also argue that LSU would have beaten Florida had they not fumbled on the Gators 1 yard line.

My point is, turnovers, no matter how much of a fluke they can be at times, do happen and is a part of the game.

No question there is a degree of luck involved in a lot of plays (especially fumbles). I don't think it's fair to equate the other team screwing up with a bad officiating job though. It's also a reach to say LSU would've won the game anyway.

Yah florida played a very tough schedule. They had 2 grueling games against 1-AA opponents. not to mention they won games against SC and FSU by backing into the victories ass first.

856188[/snapback]

2 1-AA opponents??

Florida played one 1AA opponent (Western Carolina)...I do not see another 1AA matchup on the schedule.

Ok so Florida played a 1AA team...Flordia went 12-1 and UM went 11-1 so IMO to use that 1AA game against Florida is useless in an argument.

What a shock this comment is from a Rutgers fan who probably does not remember anything about the RU program since Ray Lucas  :lol:  :doh:

856289[/snapback]

:D:beer::nana:

Did you attend the BlueFire school of typing, or the Holcomb's Arm school of logic?

IMO, Florida has earned it.  My thinking, flawed as it may be, is that the national champion should be able to win their own conference.

856361[/snapback]

Ok, they why did oklahoma(i believe) get a shot at the national title a few years ago, AFTER losing their conference title game?

And i was wrong about UF and 2 1-AA opponents. They only had 1 this season. I confused it with last season when they played the SouthEast university for paraplegics.

Ok, they why did oklahoma(i believe) get a shot at the national title a few years ago, AFTER losing their conference title game?

And i was wrong about UF and 2 1-AA opponents. They only had 1 this season. I confused it with last season when they played the SouthEast university for paraplegics.

856522[/snapback]

I agree, that Oklahoma b.j. was a mess in '03. Not only did they lose their conference title game, it wasn't even close. K-State won 35-7 or something like that. They were such a distant #1 before that game that they fell only to #2 in the BCS. Nebraska did the same thing in '01, getting crushed by Colorado in the Big 12 final 62-30something, but holding at #2 in the BCS. Both OU and UN proceded to play like total dogschit and lost in the finals.

USC finished the regular season #1 in both the AP and Coaches polls in '03 but was #3 in the BCS behind LSU and OU.

I agree, that Oklahoma b.j. was a mess in '03.  Not only did they lose their conference title game, it wasn't even close.  K-State won 35-7 or something like that.  They were such a distant #1 before that game that they fell only to #2 in the BCS.  Nebraska did the same thing in '01, getting crushed by Colorado in the Big 12 final 62-30something, but holding at #2 in the BCS.  Both OU and UN proceded to play like total dogschit and lost in the finals.

USC finished the regular season #1 in both the AP and Coaches polls in '03 but was #3 in the BCS behind LSU and OU.

856584[/snapback]

Once again, the BCMess rears its ugly head.

:doh:  :blink:  :wacko:

Did you attend the BlueFire school of typing, or the Holcomb's Arm school of logic?

856296[/snapback]

Your inability to stick up for yourself after my comment futher proves that I am probably correct.

Were you attending RU games when Jacki Crooks was in the RU backfield? I was.

1/1 says NO for you.

Your inability to stick up for yourself after my comment futher proves that I am probably correct.

Were you attending RU games when Jacki Crooks was in the RU backfield?  I was.

1/1 says NO for you.

857356[/snapback]

Next he'll start trying to talk about how your football team sucks, as if it had anything to do with how good Rutgers' is.

BuffOrange Posted Today, 01:07 AM

No question there is a degree of luck involved in a lot of plays (especially fumbles). I don't think it's fair to equate the other team screwing up with a bad officiating job though. It's also a reach to say LSU would've won the game anyway.

True the officials did screw up in the Auburn game.I'm not saying that LSU would definitely had beaten Florida, but if you saw that game, LSU had their chances to win, but turnovers killed them. South Carolina, Tennessee, & Florida State had opportunities to beat the Gators also, but they were unsuccessful.

DonteWhitner Posted Today, 01:12 AM

QUOTE(Ramius @ Dec 3 2006, 10:55 PM)

2 1-AA opponents??

Florida played one 1AA opponent (Western Carolina)...I do not see another 1AA matchup on the schedule.

Ok so Florida played a 1AA team...Flordia went 12-1 and UM went 11-1 so IMO to use that 1AA game against Florida is useless in an argument.

This is correct, Western Carolina is the only 1-AA school Florida played. They also played Central Florida this year, and they are a 1-A school.

You could argue that Michigan's non-conference schedule of Miami(Ohio), Ball State, Vanderbilt, & Notre Dame was tougher than Florida's non-conference schedule of Central Florida, Western Carolina, Southern Mississippi, & Florida State.

smokinandjokin Posted Today, 08:31 AM

IMO, Florida has earned it. My thinking, flawed as it may be, is that the national champion should be able to win their own conference.

I would like to hear more of your reasoning on why Florida has earned this national title shot and why Michigan has not earned it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.