Bills #12 in Attendance, Chargers #21

AKC

here is the misleading component with that stat........... yea we are 12th and SD is 21, but the key for a stat like that, is your percentage of seats filled in regards to your stadium capacity. and look who falls dead last in that category. sad to say folks, but that is telling!!

here is the misleading component with that stat........... yea we are 12th and SD is 21, but the key for a stat like that, is your percentage of seats filled in regards to your stadium capacity. and look who falls dead last in that category. sad to say folks, but that is telling!!

853863[/snapback]

I'd say you've adopted the only stat that is in any way misleading. We have more fans show up every Sunday to watch a team that's 5-6 than the Chargers have show up to watch a team who was in the playoffs last year and has a 9-2 record this year.

Challenges to our fans:

A) Lower per capita income/less disposable income

B) A population base of only 270K versus 1.2 million in San Diego

C) What most would consider far less attractive weather conditions for those who come to the game

After all this, the Bills have more faithful fans than the Chargers- and I meanmore in every way. What's "misleading" about a clearly superior and more dedicated fan base who show up in greater numbers every week of the season? It's no wonder the Chargers are desperate to get away from one of the worst fan situations in the country.

I'd say you've adopted the only stat that is in any way misleading. We have more fans show up every Sunday to watch a team that's 5-6 than the Chargers have show up to watch a team who was in the playoffs last year and has a 9-2 record this year.

Challenges to our fans:

C) What most would consider far less attractive weather conditions for those who come to the game

After all this, the Bills have more faithful fans than the Chargers- and I meanmore in every way. What's "misleading" about a clearly superior and more dedicated fan base who show up in greater numbers every week of the season? It's no wonder the Chargers are desperate to get away from one of the worst fan situations in the country.

853890[/snapback]

D) Who cares? :D

Challenges to our fans:

853890[/snapback]

Wow, a lot of people with no clue about statistical significance arguing and making no sense. First off, being last in the percent of seats filled is not a good sign. In fact, it's more signifcant than the total number of fans attending and average per game.

I assume you used the city of Buffalo's population estimate of about 270,000 to attempt to strengthen your point. The problem is, that number is irrelevant. The NFL is a world wide corporation and markets itself as such and Erie-Niagara counts about 1.2 million in population, not couting the Southern Tier counties, greater Rochester or Southern Ontario, which when you count all that, would actually make Buffalo-Niagara one of the top 10 markets in the country. We draw from Canada and Rochester and the Bills market to Canada and Rochester as well. So the population argument is a joke. In fact, the population of the so-called Golden Horseshoe is a positive for this team.

Per capita and so-called disposable income really have no correlation to ticket sales, especially since our cost of living is among the most affordable and the Bills tickets are the lowest or one of the lowest in the league. As stated above, population size dictates that even if per capita and disposable income were an issue, there are enough people within 90 miles of the stadium to overcome that issue.

Weather is what it is. But I highly doubt you can say that it's hurting this team with any sort of certainty.

All that being said, this season is an anomaly I think. More games than ever after Thanksgiving (holiday season) coupled with a bad team with a losing record will result in attendance issues. Throw in a game on Xmas eve and out numbers will be below average.

Just like I said with the Sabres.... put a competitive team on the ice and you'll sell out. Throw everything else out the window. You win, it fills.

Challenges to our fans:

Well to be fair, if the Chargers are selling-out their stadium, there might be a lot more fans who want to go to games but can't. No way to know for sure.

However the fact that the Bills are in the top-half in attendance means all is not as bad as it seems. I agree that maybe they should cover-up some seats and/or waive the blackout rule after a certain number of tickets are sold/revenue is generated.

if the Chargers are selling-out their stadium, there might be a lot more fans who want to go to games but can't. 

853906[/snapback]

The 2006 Chargers are team who have been bailed out by local businesses 3 times already this season to avoid local TV blackouts, and that in a Stadium that only holds about 67,000 people. Tickets are available in their little stadium for anyone who wants to go to games.

Damn. The Redskins have them beat by 22,000, and they're 4-7.

853856[/snapback]

They also have the largest capacity, and only the Giants & Arrowhead come within 4,000.

Pretty dumb thread - Syracuse & Kentucky are at the top in college hoops attendance every year; it's not because they have better fans than everyone else.

Syracuse & Kentucky are at the top in college hoops attendance every year; it's not because they have better fans than everyone else.

853918[/snapback]

Well then please, Archimedes, share with us those points of analysis leading to your postulation that total fans in seats has no correlation to fan quality. I had planned on watching Blazing Saddles tonight but your response will surely satisfy the jocularity I'm craving!

The 2006 Chargers are team who have been bailed out by local businesses 3 times already this season to avoid local TV blackouts, and that in a Stadium that only holds about 67,000 people. Tickets are available in their little stadium for anyone who wants to go to games.

Didn't know that. How many tix would you say local businesses have bought this year?

Bills fans are among the most loyal in the NFL, but we are not stupid. If management is not willing to invest in scouting and pay to obtain and retain talent; then why should Jack and Jill hardhat invest in tickets? Look at the NY Giants, there is a 5-year waiting list for season tickets, but how often have they had competitive teams? Remember the Joe Handly (or whatever the coaches name was) years?

When the Bills are competitive, the fans come out and the team sells out. Last week was the first in a long time and the way the team was looking, was deserved. San Diego was supposed to have a good team this year and their record proves it. If they cannot sell out this season, then they should be the subject of LA talk, not the Bills.

Bills fans are among the most loyal in the NFL, but we are not stupid.  If management is not willing to invest in scouting and pay to obtain and retain talent; then why should Jack and Jill hardhat invest in tickets?  Look at the NY Giants, there is a 5-year waiting list for season tickets, but how often have they had competitive teams?  Remember the Joe Handly (or whatever the coaches name was) years?

Hold on a second. Your Giants example totally destroys your argument.

The reason why the Giants have a waiting list for season tix is the same reason the Jets do; a huge population with wealth, set against the backdrop of the NFL being the best sport in the world.

Didn't know that.  How many tix would you say local businesses have bought this year?

853941[/snapback]

Actually, I see thay weren't even bailed out for all of those- one game they ended up donating 3000 tickets to get over the hump.

Below is an NFL Press Release re: San Diego's Home Opener (and even this required a 24 hours extension from the league)- check out this line in the story-

Every NFL game is sold out in consecutive weeks at the start of a season for the first time in league history. The Chargers game was the last to sell out.

Chargers Bailed Out for Home Opener

853863[/snapback]

Please explain to me your rationale when Jacksonville has to cover 7000 seats just to "sell out?"

853863[/snapback]

I don't trust any of those numbers. Some are at 102% of capacity. Either capacity is actuaaly bigger than the # stated, or someone goofed.

Second, seems to me bills have a total capacity so far of 370,000 (5 x 74,000) and last week was only game not sold out, by around 11,000 .

so, we have actually filled to 97% capacity so far. 88% can"t even be close!!!!

Don't give actuall attendance #s BS either. Go to a Gints or Redskins game, loads of emptys, especially the more expensive seats.

Wow, a lot of people with no clue about statistical significance arguing and making no sense. First off, being last in the percent of seats filled is not a good sign. In fact, it's more signifcant than the total number of fans attending and average per game.

I assume you used the city of Buffalo's population estimate of about 270,000 to attempt to strengthen your point. The problem is, that number is irrelevant. The NFL is a world wide corporation and markets itself as such and Erie-Niagara counts about 1.2 million in population, not couting the Southern Tier counties, greater Rochester or Southern Ontario, which when you count all that, would actually make Buffalo-Niagara one of the top 10 markets in the country. We draw from Canada and Rochester and the Bills market to Canada and Rochester as well. So the population argument is a joke. In fact, the population of the so-called Golden Horseshoe is a positive for this team.

Per capita and so-called disposable income really have no correlation to ticket sales, especially since our cost of living is among the most affordable and the Bills tickets are the lowest or one of the lowest in the league. As stated above, population size dictates that even if per capita and disposable income were an issue, there are enough people within 90 miles of the stadium to overcome that issue.

Weather is what it is. But I highly doubt you can say that it's hurting this team with any sort of certainty.

All that being said, this season is an anomaly I think. More games than ever after Thanksgiving (holiday season) coupled with a bad team with a losing record will result in attendance issues. Throw in a game on Xmas eve and out numbers will be below average.

Just like I said with the Sabres.... put a competitive team on the ice and you'll sell out. Throw everything else out the window. You win, it fills.

853904[/snapback]

First off, you insult peoples intelligence here by rambling about statistical significance, implying (or 'outright saying) they do not understand it. Of course, you make absolutely no effort show how significant your own arguments are, so basically you are full of bull s&@#. Prove it to us, oh wise one, that percentage of seats filled is more significant, statistically, than actual number of bodies in the seats. There are many people here who understand statistics and practice it for a living. Forgive us for not taking your word for it.

Both metrics are imperfect, because both can be manipulated. I could easily sell out to 100% a 30,000 seat NFL stadium in pretty much every city in the United States. Does that mean my fans are more loyal? The only true way to measure the size of the fan base would be to have every NFL stadium be obscenely large, to the point where they never sell out, and then compare attendance figures.

Secondly, you act like the Bills are the only NFL team to be supported by a REGION, instead of a city. Hello, New England is supported by 6 STATES, including the city of Boston that has MANY more people than Buffalo and Rochester combined. Seattle is the only NFL team for nearly a thousand miles in any direction, and draws from Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, each with over 2.5 million in population.

Every team is supported by a region, whether you choose to recognize it or not.