Question About Mr. Wilson.....

Bill from NYC

And this is based on...what?  He franchised Nate and is paying him $7.226M this year.

845561[/snapback]

A one year deal that has no impact on the team's long-term salary cap. Apples and oranges.

IMO, Marv would not risk a major dollar 7-year contract on either position. No single player at those positions is that invaluable.

IMO, Marv would not risk a major dollar 7-year contract on either position.  No single player at those positions is that invaluable.

845565[/snapback]

You might be right, but I am not sure.

Marv did select a safety at the #8 slot, and corners are typically valued higher. Also, I am not hearing of many top name free agents being out there in 07 other than Freeney and Steinbach, and the Bills will have a truck load of cap dollars.

Again, Nate might very well walk. If he does, who WILL the Bills spend this money on? I am thinking that Fletch is THE ideal candidate for the franchise tag, and this would still leave tons of room, no?

I have a question on the salary cap.  Why are we 12 mil under the cap(per chart at bz.com)?  I could understand leaving a few mil to play with in case of injuries, but 12 mil could have made this team a lot better.    <_<

845574[/snapback]

Just an opinion......Again, times have changed. The free agent crops seem to be getting weaker and weaker because teams have more cap room to extend their good players, like the Bengals did with Willie Anderson and Levi Jones. The Lions kept Backus in this manner, as the Vikes did with McKinnie.

Because of this, I really see a lack of deserving players out there to sign.

Hutch got approx. 52 million last year to play LG. Others say I am wrong, but I think that Steinbach will approach this number because the cap is scheduled to go up even higher. To get these guys (and spend close to the entire cap allotment), RW is going to have to overpay some people, and Nate is one of them.

Again, jmo.

Just an opinion......Again, times have changed. The free agent crops seem to be getting weaker and weaker because teams have more cap room to extend their good players, like the Bengals did with Willie Anderson and Levi Jones. The Lions kept Backus in this manner, as the Vikes did with McKinnie.

Because of this, I really see a lack of deserving players out there to sign.

Hutch got approx. 52 million last year to play LG. Others say I am wrong, but I think that Steinbach will approach this number because the cap is scheduled to go up even higher. To get these guys (and spend close to the entire cap allotment), RW is going to have to overpay some people, and Nate is one of them.

Again, jmo.

845587[/snapback]

This is a good post...and I agree

my gut tells me that Nate wants out - he wants the FA market and the glory of being the highest paid FA CB this year....

This is a good post...and I agree

my gut tells me that Nate wants out - he wants the FA market and the glory of being the highest paid FA CB this year....

845593[/snapback]

I suspect that you are right.

Gotta hand it to him, he is taking a HUGE risk IF in fact Marv is making him an offer at this point. Because Nate is a ufa in 07, nobody owes him a penny right now beyond this season. Other Bills players (Schobel, MaGee, and Peters come to mind) went the secure route and took the immediate cash.

I say the above because if Nate blows out his knee on Sunday, he won't be making such a splash on the market in February 07, if any at all. This is why NOW is the time to sign him. If he does hit the market as a UFA, my guess is that another owner with more money and more inclination to spend it than Ralph will scoop him up within a couple of days.

If he does hit the market as a UFA, my guess is that another owner with more money and more inclination to spend it than Ralph will scoop him up within a couple of days.

845601[/snapback]

That would be the 'Skins who seem to take all of our castoff's(GW/JG/JP/TV) like the Chargers did back in 2000...

Great posts in this chain. According to this and other links on Forbes, the franchise is in relatively good shape, especially for (I think) the 2nd smallest market in the league.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/30/06nfl_...ons_Rank_2.html

The relatively low debt leaves ample equity to manage cash requirements such as player bonuses.

One of the challenges the Bills face is ticket prices and here they are:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...et-prices_x.htm

"The highest average ticket cost is in New England ($90.89) and the lowest is in Buffalo ($41.29)." Great for the fans but marginal for the financial state of the franchise. Prediction: get ready for increased ticket prices to compete in today's nfl.

IMHO the best news is, even if the decision makers wanted to move the Bills (be it Mr Wilson or his successor), where would they move to ? I think the nfl has slightly overexpanded - with a half dozen equal or better candidates to fill the LA void.

Hope everybody has a blessed Holiday.

We are estimated to be approx. 32 million under the 2007 cap of 109 million. Nate could easily be signed by providing a split of a signing bonus of say $7 million and a roster bonus due the first day of the season of say $8 million. On a seven year deal that would give him a cap figure this year of approx. $9 million and put $15 million in his pocket by Labor Day. As noted above, the Vikings did a similar manuever with A. Winfield two years ago when they had a good deal of cap room and a cheap owner (Red McCombs). It would also allow the Bills to provide Nate with base salaries of say 3-4 million for the remaining 6 years so that the contract is manageable under the cap and still rich enough for "The Playmaker". It would also allow Ralph to keep his Monet as the roster bonus money would come from the 2007 TV revenue.

This would also allow the Bills to remain approx 23-25 million under the cap to sign a quality LG (say, Eric Steinbach 5 yrs. 25-26 million, 8 million SB (similar to D. Woody deal) and OLB (Lance Briggs, who was drafted by Dick Jauron in 2003, 6 years, 30-32 million, 9 mill SB) (Similar to Spikes deal) Say good bye to 32 yr old London Fletcher, Move Crowell to MLB and assume Spikes, like Julian Peterson in Seattle, is much better two years after his Achilles tear......It would also allow further flexibility for extensions for McGahee and, if he continues to improve, JP Losman, during the next year.

I then think it imperative that the Bills go for a WR (Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Ginn) with their first pick, followed by an OT (Joe Staley from Cent. Mich.) in Round Two. Imagine splitting Ginn out on one side and Lee Evans on the other....

Now, I will retire to my kitchen to start my Thanksgiving feast and hope to see Matt Murphy catch 3 TDs on Sunday!