U.S. President $1 Coins

SilverNRed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh.... but do they know that George Washington was not really the first POTUS?

A history lesson for y'all.

854438[/snapback]

The Articles limited the term of President to one year, but the Congress resolved that service before the Articles were in force didn't count. So Huntington stayed on office, now as President of the United States in Congress Assembled

Big diff between the actual executive office we now have under the Constitution!

So... GW was the first POTUS... SH was the first POTUSIC (in Congress)

You split hairs... Since the Articles are defunct.

That leads us to the question... How do you define the POTUS? I would say not by the definition in the Articles... Which is different, IMO:

Presidents of the Congress

The following list is of those who led the Congress of the Confederation under the Articles of Confederation as the Presidents of the United States in Congress Assembled. The "president" under the Articles was the presiding officer of Congress. He was not the chief executive, as is the President of the United States under the Constitution.

Samuel Huntington (March 1, 1781 – July 9, 1781)

Thomas McKean (July 10, 1781 – November 4, 1781)

John Hanson (November 5, 1781 – November 3, 1782)

Elias Boudinot (November 4, 1782 – November 2, 1783)

Thomas Mifflin (November 3, 1783 – October 31, 1784)

Richard Henry Lee (November 30, 1784 – November 6, 1785)

John Hancock (November 23, 1785 – May 29, 1786)

Nathaniel Gorham (June 6, 1786 – November 5, 1786)

Arthur St. Clair (February 2, 1787 – November 4, 1787)

Cyrus Griffin (January 22, 1788 – November 2, 1788)

The Articles limited the term of President to one year, but the Congress resolved that service before the Articles were in force didn't count. So Huntington stayed on office, now as President of the United States in Congress Assembled

Big diff between the actual executive office we now have under the Constitution!

So... GW was the first POTUS...  SH was the first POTUSIC (in Congress)

You split hairs... Since the Articles are defunct.

That leads us to the question... How do you define the POTUS?  I would say not by the definition in the Articles...  Which is different, IMO:

Presidents of the Congress

The following list is of those who led the Congress of the Confederation under the Articles of Confederation as the Presidents of the United States in Congress Assembled. The "president" under the Articles was the presiding officer of Congress. He was not the chief executive, as is the President of the United States under the Constitution.

Samuel Huntington (March 1, 1781 – July 9, 1781)

Thomas McKean (July 10, 1781 – November 4, 1781)

John Hanson (November 5, 1781 – November 3, 1782)

Elias Boudinot (November 4, 1782 – November 2, 1783)

Thomas Mifflin (November 3, 1783 – October 31, 1784)

Richard Henry Lee (November 30, 1784 – November 6, 1785)

John Hancock (November 23, 1785 – May 29, 1786)

Nathaniel Gorham (June 6, 1786 – November 5, 1786)

Arthur St. Clair (February 2, 1787 – November 4, 1787)

Cyrus Griffin (January 22, 1788 – November 2, 1788)

854682[/snapback]

Technically, the United States did not exist until the Constitution was ratified by the first 13 states...so you can't really say the first President of the United States was Huntington, since that's basically to say he was the president of a country that didn't exist...

Technically, the United States did not exist until the Constitution was ratified by the first 13 states...so you can't really say the first President of the United States was Huntington, since that's basically to say he was the president of a country that didn't exist...

855133[/snapback]

But it did exist, just in a different form... The USofA did exist under the Articles... In those Articles of Confederation, the name United States of America was established.

I still see it as spliting hairs... Under both the "president" is defined differently.

GW was still the first president. President/executive as we know it.

Here is the list of Prez's during the Continental Congress':

List of Presidents

The following men served as the President of the First Continental Congress:

Peyton Randolph (September 5, 1774 – October 21, 1774) and

Henry Middleton (October 22, 1774 – October 26, 1774)

The following men served as the President of the Second Continental Congress:

Peyton Randolph (May 10, 1775 – May 23, 1775)

John Hancock (May 24, 1775 – October 31, 1777)

Henry Laurens (November 1, 1777 – December 9, 1778)

John Jay (December 10, 1778 – September 27, 1779)

Samuel Huntington (September 28, 1779 – March 1, 17811)

There I would agree with you Bungee/Tom... The USofA did not officially exist.

God... I hate Wiki... I always feel like somebody is giving me the wrong info... Yet, it is so cheap, sleazy, and easy... :(:thumbsup: ...Kinda like when Bugs Bunny tries to teach his nephew history.

:bag:

God... I hate Wiki... I always feel like somebody is giving me the wrong info...  Yet, it is so cheap, sleazy, and easy... :thumbsup:  :bag: ...Kinda like when Bugs Bunny tries to teach his nephew history.

855492[/snapback]

Or some dates I've had recently. Except it wasn't wrong info i was afraid they might give me :(

I still see it as spliting hairs... Under both the "president" is defined differently.

GW was still the first president.  President/executive as we know it.

855449[/snapback]

Oh, come on! Can't I just be allowed to be a Connecticut homer?! Just this once?

(BTW --- I was aware of the distinction; just being a smartass.)

George Washington actually did spend 3 days in my town. According to the written accounts, he hated it.

:(:thumbsup:

Oh, come on! Can't I just be allowed to be a Connecticut homer?! Just this once?

(BTW --- I was aware of the distinction; just being a smartass.)

George Washington actually did spend 3 days in my town. According to the written accounts, he hated it.

^_^  0:)

855705[/snapback]

Speaking of Washington, if you want to see something weird there is a statue of George Washington in a British uniform outside Erie, PA

Speaking of Washington, if you want to see something weird there is a statue of George Washington in a British uniform outside Erie, PA

855726[/snapback]

Same thing as the video of Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam back in the 80s.

He who is your friend today can easily be your enemy tomorrow. Reading Ben Franklin's autobiography right now, and he makes the point that it was in no small part the French & Indian War's (what that statue is in recognition of, tho Washington wasn't as distinguished in it as the avg. American is led to believe but it did gain him valuable experience) cost and ineffectiveness that lead to the Revolution when the king tried to get the money he spent here back through taxes. I suppose this is a theme repeated since the dawn of man; wage war now, and push the nasty-ass part of actually paying for it down the line.