Nate Clements

How bad is this... when he made the interception, I thought of you.

841238[/snapback]

Haha ... i have trained you well. :lol:

1 pick in 10 games! Someone annoint this guy as the next pope!

841240[/snapback]

Edit: he has shut down receivers this entire year. The only thing people can really complain about is his missing a few tackles earlier this year. His actual defending the pass has been stellar all year.

I've been very critical of Nate over the past two-plus seasons, and have called for the Bills to let him go - because let's be honest, he hasn't earned his pay the past 30-plus games or so.

But I have to admit, Nate has been our best defender the last four games or so (maybe Fletcher, but Nate has been making big plays). He keeps playing like this - and gets back to where he was a few years ago - he'll have me convinced he's worth a raise.

Whether he's worth the raise he'll WANT, that's another story...

Edit: he has shut down receivers this entire year. The only thing people can really complain about is his missing a few tackles earlier this year. His actual defending the pass has been stellar all year.

841249[/snapback]

I won't disagree with that. Still not worth the money though, sorry.

No your right. We should just go into next season with 27+ mill in free cap space instead. Thats the way to go.

841270[/snapback]

I think you know that our biggest problem doesn't lie in the secondary, even if clements is gone. The money will and needs to be spent elsewhere.

PAY HIM.

841249[/snapback]

I won't disagree with that. Still not worth the money though, sorry.

841256[/snapback]

resign?  why would he do that after a great game?

841963[/snapback]

My only complaint about Nate Clements, was that he didn't always seem to play like he cared about winning. That has definitely not been the case lately though, and it was never more evident than today, especially on that 3rd Down pass deflection late in the 4th Quarter. He was pumped, he played great all day, and it made a huge difference for this team.

My only complaint about Nate Clements, was that he didn't always seem to play like he cared about winning. That has definitely not been the case lately though, and it was never more evident than today, especially on that 3rd Down pass deflection late in the 4th Quarter. He was pumped, he played great all day, and it made a huge difference for this team.

842105[/snapback]

I tend to think that he was palying as told by the coaches with rookies behind him they seem to have made some slight adjustments since the bye week.....

842105[/snapback]

Is it a coincidence that he's showing up now in the 2nd half of the season, before his contract is up? Methinks he plays when he wants to, and we don't someone like that on this team, especially when they are the highest paid player. I guarantee that if he gets the big contract from us, he'll go right back into his shell and disappear for 3 years.

Jus figured I would start the Nate Clements to be resigned thread for this week ... flame away.

841225[/snapback]

You start some sort of NC thread every week. Does Nate know about your man crush on him? :lol:

Side note: He did play extremely well today.

People forget that Clements and McGee were originally drafted to play man in the 46-D. Now, in their first season playing in the Tampa cover-2, they have had their share of struggles but also have looked great for stretches of plays this season. I expect them to only get better as the D unit around them gets better with experience (rookie safeties), health (TKO) and new players (DT's).

Daquixers is 100% dead-on with his analysis of Clements. Re-sign him for whatever the free agent market says he is worth. We will have over $30 million in cap space, and there is no way we will be able to spend anywhere close to that much, especially if we aren't able to sign Eric Steinbach. Might as well not open up MORE holes on this roster; we already have enough.

You start some sort of NC thread every week.  Does Nate know about your man crush on him?  :lol:   

Side note: He did play extremely well today.

842142[/snapback]

No, daquix is waaaay past man crush. He's got a full fledged Bromance with Nate clements.

I'd be for re-signing him, but not resigning him. Why would nate want to resign? his contract is up anyway, so technically he doesnt need to resign.

Jus figured I would start the Nate Clements to be re-signed thread for this week ... flame away.

** edited to appease people who couldnt figure out that I meant "re-sign" instead of "resign"

841225[/snapback]

It looks like NC is working his way to the big contract.....i.e. his level of play is getting back towards where it was a few years back. This is a good thing....a very good thing. My only problem with re-signing NC was over-paying him. If he produces at probowl level regularly then I don't mind us paying him exactly what he would be worth. The only reservation I have is Youboty. If he can show something special in the next 6 I think NC will be gone.....simple capanomics......not likely to happen though.....but possible.

It looks like NC is working his way to the big contract.....i.e. his level of play is getting back towards where it was a few years back.  This is a good thing....a very good thing.  My only problem with re-signing NC was over-paying him.  If he produces at probowl level regularly then I don't mind us paying him exactly what he would be worth.  The only reservation I have is Youboty.  If he can show something special in the next 6 I think NC will be gone.....simple capanomics......not likely to happen though.....but possible.

842314[/snapback]

Here is what I think people are getting caught up on. People just dont want to pay him HUGE money ... well dude ... whether or not you *think* he is worth it shouldnt matter. This team is bad as it is and we should let good players go. Build around the good players for goodness sakes.

Here is what I think people are getting caught up on. People just dont want to pay him HUGE money ... well dude ... whether or not you *think* he is worth it shouldnt matter. This team is bad as it is and we should let good players go. Build around the good players for goodness sakes.

842382[/snapback]

I didn't say otherwise.

NC really had a poor year last year. I would have been very upset if we signed him to a long term contract when he was 'at the crossroads' so to speak. His marked improvement means that he is elevating into value for the HUGE money.

As I said, I don't have a problem paying.....just a problem over-paying

What you don't really seem to understand is that there is a salary cap. That means if you over-pay a few players by a lot.....& then you build your team to be good.....you lose some of your 'really' good players because your 'quite' good players are getting their money. Each team can only afford to pay so many stars. It is bad capenomics to pay a 'good' player 'star' money.

Hopefully, NC keeps up his 'star' play & this won't be an issue.

I didn't say otherwise.

NC really had a poor year last year.  I would have been very upset if we signed him to a long term contract when he was 'at the crossroads' so to speak.  His marked improvement means that he is elevating into value for the HUGE money.

As I said, I don't have a problem paying.....just a problem over-paying

What you don't really seem to understand is that there is a salary cap.  That means if you over-pay a few players by a lot.....& then you build your team to be good.....you lose some of your 'really' good players because your 'quite' good players are getting their money.  Each team can only afford to pay so many stars.  It is bad capenomics to pay a 'good' player 'star' money.

842399[/snapback]

Whether its bad "capenomics" to pay a good player star money he is the closest thing we will get to a star and *wait for it* WE CANT KEEP LETTING GOOD PLAYERS GO BECAUSE WE WONT PAY THEM! Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Whethere its bad "capenomics" to pay a good player star money he is the closest thing we will get to a star and *wait for it* WE CANT KEEP LETTING GOOD PLAYERS GO BECAUSE WE WONT PAY THEM! Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

842411[/snapback]

It is bad capenomics to pay a 'good' player 'star' money.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp. If player 'A' is a 'star' player, it is good to pay him 'star' money.....if he is only a 'good' player, it's bad to pay him 'star' money.

I don't see why you had a problem with this concept.....I even finished with.....& on purpose so you wouldn't take it the wrong way & assume I meant that NC was not playing like a star......

It is bad capenomics to pay a 'good' player 'star' money.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp.  If player 'A' is a 'star' player, it is good to pay him 'star' money.....if he is only a 'good' player, it's bad to pay him 'star' money.

I don't see why you had a problem with this concept.....I even finished with.....& on purpose so you wouldn't take it the wrong way & assume I meant that NC was not playing like a star......

842833[/snapback]

I never said I had a problem with it ... I only said we need to break that concept or rule.

I never said I had a problem with it ... I only said we need to break that concept or rule.

842838[/snapback]

Why?

Where is the logic in doing that? I went through the scenario earlier(post 27) of what happens when you over-pay players & start getting good enough to compete. What is your reasoning that it is OK to over-pay players that are 'good' but not 'great'?

daquix,

you seem to like Nate a lot.

842839[/snapback]

:lol:

Why?

Where is the logic in doing that?  I went through the scenario earlier(post 27) of what happens when you over-pay players & start getting good enough to compete.  What is your reasoning that it is OK to over-pay players that are 'good' but not 'great'?

842842[/snapback]

98% of the time I would completely agree with you ... but on THIS occasion (the rare 2%, I disagree). I believe we NEED to keep him. This isnt a 2nd or 3rd WR, this isnt a backup RB, this isnt just some random NT ... this is a very good (probaby top 5) defensive back. He doesnt make a ton of INT's, but he shut downs good WR. He shut down Harrison, limited Johnson, shutdown Steve Smith ... etc. I cant even remember the last time he was beat for a long TD.

Anyway. All that aside. I believe we really need to keep Clements. Finding good DB's isnt exactly the easiest thing to do. Thats evident by the plethora of teams who have horrid secondaries. We can over-pay for Clements, and STILL have a ton of money THIS year, and for years to come ... especially if we front load the contract. Us overpaying for Clements is not going to be hurting us at all ... probably EVER! If it does then we could ask him to re-do his contract or we could cut him (which wouldnt be needed for probably 3-4 years). Let him train the new DB's on our team and let the rookies/new players talent level rise before we let Nate go.

As I said. Usually I would agree with you ... but with nearly 30 million of probable cap-space and not many quality FA's its not going to hurt us to over-pay for Clements. Period.

:lol:

98% of the time I would completely agree with you ... As I said. Usually I would agree with you ...

842947[/snapback]

But you totally agree with me.

You consider NC a 'star' player & therefore(according to what I said re:'star' players) we should pay him. I said I don't have any problem paying a star player top dollars. I even said that I considered him(NC) playing at 'star' level myself......though I did try to keep him(as a specific case) out of the conceptual point.

But you totally agree with me. 

You consider NC a 'star' player & therefore(according to what I said re:'star' players) we should pay him.  I said I don't have any problem paying a star player top dollars.  I even said that I considered him(NC) playing at 'star' level myself......though I did try to keep him(as a specific case) out of the conceptual point.

843003[/snapback]

In that case then ... great!

In that case then ... great!

843004[/snapback]

I think in general after NCs performance today(& of the last few weeks), you will get far less resistance with your.....um.....crusade(?).......to get people on side to re-sign him.

I agree with what somebody said earlier.....it will probably all come down to whether NC wants to be re-signed by us.