Playoff Possibilities?

stonefly42

I know we like to give up on the season around this time

839475[/snapback]

Yeah, giving up on the Bills is one of our favorite things to do. Forgive us for thinking that a 3-6 team racked with injuries, a piss-poor OL, no #1 WR, and a QB that looks more like a first-round bust might not be playing be in January.

I'm not expecting much but if we win our next 3; aginst the Texans, Jaguars, and Chargers then I might get my hopes up for the last 4 games are very winnable; especially if the Ravens don't have anything to gain playing that last game. But just our luck their backup RB has a breakout game and we lose and miss the playoffs!

839776[/snapback]

The one difference from this year and 2 years ago is that we are currently not playing the NFC West...We played the NFC North and came out with a 2-2 record and we still have non-divisional conference games against Jax, Balt, San Diego.

Our chances are pretty slim.

I would rather like to see this team grow up and earn some wins.

That's exactly my point. There's no reason to give up. If you give up, why the heck are you a fan in the first place? There are a few short months in the year that a football fan looks forward to. From August through January, you have 17 chances to see your team on the field and scream your brains out, whether they're winning or losing...and then track all of their moves at twobillsdrive during the ass-long offseason. If you give up on your team with 7 weeks left in the season, you've forgotten why you're a fan! You've taken all of the fun out of being a fan! The Bills have sold out how many straight home games with a team that has a record far below what they are capable of, a new face of HC every couple of years, a lackluster offense and an ever-hopeful QB?! There is a reason for that:: passion. Those stands are filled and those parking lots are alive with buffalo wings and brautwerst because people LOVE the Bills and they LOVE football.

So, for the love of the game, don't give up on our boys! Cheer your brains out knowing they're the underdogs and, when they DO make the playoffs this year, you'll be able to experience the game for a few more weeks with a lot more adrenaline than if you had given up 7 weeks shy of the end.

Go JP, Go Fletch, Go Willis...Go BILLS!

This is what I'm rooting for right now-a sign one way or the other that JP will either be the impact player that can sometime in the next few years, lead us to a championship, or enough evidence that he is a bust, so that we can move on. If JP can wake up, show some definitive improvement in the last 7 games the wins will come. If he's a bust, then the wins won't come and then I hope we can get a QB who can lead us to a championship.

Like it or not, the season is all about JP, one way or another.

I honestly don't think we'll compete well this year. I say throw everything out the window and try EVERYTHING. It will give us a good look at what works and doesn't work offensively speaking. And a jump start next year.

I know we like to give up on the season around this time, especially while visions of Norwood dance in our heads, but does anyone have any idea if we still have a playoff shot?  Do we still have something to cheer for this year?

839475[/snapback]

The answer to both of your questions is yes.

We have not been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. I don't see us getting a wild card at 9-7, but if we 'run the table' and finish 10-6, yes - we could be playing in January. It's a long shot. So was Miami beating Chicago.

That alone is something to cheer for. For me, there's much more - the development of rookies like Whitner and Youboty, the grooming of a young and promising QB, the sometimes sporadic yet often outstanding play of the defensive unit, the excitement of the best special teams unit in the NFL, and - to me - the knowledge that Marv & Co. are laying a foundation for years of future success.

But hey, that's just me - a Bills fan.

- the development of rookies like Whitner and Youboty, the grooming of a young and promising QB, the sometimes sporadic yet often outstanding play of the defensive unit, the excitement of the best special teams unit in the NFL, and - to me - the knowledge that Marv & Co. are laying a foundation for years of future success.

But hey, that's just me - a Bills fan.

840506[/snapback]

YES!!!! A GUY WHO GETS IT!!! THANK YOU!!!!

The question was not will we make the playoffs (it's not going to happen), but whether we had a chance. The answer is yes. If we win out and finish 10-6 we have a reasonable chance. 9-7 is a possibility but very unlikely.

I am firmly focused on winning games to get on track for 2007, but knowing that anything can happen and staying optimistic or even dreaming is fine. Just as long as that doesn't impact being supportive of doing whatever is best for 2007, and not sacrificing development for 2006 hopes.

I would like to see Youboty on the field, I am happy With Peters, Pennington, and Preston are playing, so we can start evaluating how each can fit into our O-Line plans. I'd like to see Nall move to #2 on the depth chart but continue to get zero snaps in actual games. I would like to see the ball in Roscoe's hands more often. I would like to see JP roll out, throw deep, have some fun, and turn into the Favre Jr that he can still become.