First US city to ban all smoking

Tux of Borg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable.

839681[/snapback]

No, whats unbelievable is you actually attempting to make the argument that the world is so small and that there are so many smokers that you cannot move to get away from the smoke.

Newsflash: The world isn't that friggin small.

You also have to take that quote in the friggin context it was said in.

Before America, all of the Republics/Democracies died because of mob rule.  It was one of the founding fathers' biggest fears.

839574[/snapback]

Can you name a Republc that died because of "mob rule"?

That's not my point.  The fast food industry affects everything from commodities to health care.  Its success has also had a negative affect on the quality of food you get EVERYWHERE else (especially the grocery store).

Bull.  That's the parrot speak for the bill of goods the politicians are selling.

839588[/snapback]

So that is not the basis of the anti-smoking laws? Please tell me what they are. I was so certain that when they try to ban smoking in public places they cite publuc health as the reason for the smoking ban. You're telling me they don't?

Reading comprehension........

Rome. Julius Caesar manipulated the mob to gain his title of Princeps.

839851[/snapback]

Rome hadn't been a Republic for at least a century before Ceaser. It claimed it was, but senators were the wealthiest people in Rome and only they could be senators. Rome was a republic in name only. Are you taking the HBO series as factual?

So that is not the basis of the anti-smoking laws?  Please tell me what they are.  I was so certain that when they try to ban smoking in public places they cite publuc health as the reason for the smoking ban.  You're telling me they don't?

Reading comprehension........

839855[/snapback]

No, I'm not telling you they don't. I'm telling you it's the bill of goods they use, and not the actual reason.

My reading comprehension is just fine.

No, I'm not telling you they don't.  I'm telling you it's the bill of goods they use, and not the actual reason. 

My reading comprehension is just fine.

839871[/snapback]

Ok then that's what I was saying - I even forgot what the original topic was but yes when they ban smoking they cite public health as the underlying reason.

Rome hadn't been a Republic for at least a century before Ceaser.  It claimed it was, but senators were the wealthiest people in Rome and only they could be senators.  Rome was a republic in name only.  Are you taking the HBO series as factual?

839860[/snapback]

Asshat. I was a Euro History major (for a while, anyway :w00t:).

Senators ALWAYS came from the Patrician class, even from the earliest days of the republic. The landowners. Not the plebeans.

Asshat. I was a Euro History major (for a while, anyway :P).

Senators ALWAYS came from the Patrician class, even from the earliest days of the republic. The landowners. Not the plebeans.

839874[/snapback]

Wow a Euro history major for a while! I guess that makes you the world's foremost authority.

That's my point, it was never a true republic.

Wow a Euro history major for a while!  I guess that makes you the world's foremost authority.

839882[/snapback]

Do you know what a Republic IS?

Here's some help:

Yes, Yes, I know it's wiki. But Tod needs some help.

Not all republics are democracies, you twit.

Do you know what a Republic IS?

Here's some help:

Yes, Yes, I know it's wiki. But Tod needs some help.

Not all republics are democracies, you twit.

839886[/snapback]

Yes I do know what a republic is and what a democracy is. Do you really have anything of any value to say? The person who has lost the argument is invariably the first one who resorts to insults. In fact there hasn't been an argument at all just you hurling insults. I'm done with this discussion with you.

Yes I do know what a republic is and what a democracy is.  Do you really have anything of any value to say?  The person who has lost the argument is invariably the first one who resorts to insults.  In fact there hasn't been an argument at all just you hurling insults.  I'm done with this discussion with you.

839891[/snapback]

Apparently you don't since you (incorrectly) insisted Rome was never a true Republic, when clearly it was.

Oh, and if you don't like hurling insults:

"Rome was a republic in name only. Are you taking the HBO series as factual?"

Don't start throwing them. Thanks for playing, Francis.

I'd say that the idoicy i am exposed to everyday on this board, and specifically this thread, is much more harmful than the people that smoke outside my building. Perhaps the government should ban message boards.

Actually, the world would run much smoother if you could just ban morons.

Wow a Euro history major for a while!  I guess that makes you the world's foremost authority.

839882[/snapback]

Actually, that is a republic. It's not a democracy.

As opposed to ancient Athens, which was a true democracy but not a republic.

I'd say that the idoicy i am exposed to everyday on this board, and specifically this thread, is much more harmful than the people that smoke outside my building. Perhaps the government should ban message boards.

Actually, the world would run much smoother if you could just ban morons.

839910[/snapback]

Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. Life sucks. :lol:

No, whats unbelievable is you actually attempting to make the argument that the world is so small and that there are so many smokers that you cannot move to get away from the smoke.

Newsflash:  The world isn't that friggin small.

839834[/snapback]

I dont know where you live, but where I live there ARE smokers everywhere. If you walk down a street you are bound to pass at least 2-3 smokers ... same on the other side of the street. The world is not that small, but I live in NY, Rochester specifically and Rochester in comparison, IS small. Over 40 million people smoke in the United States.

How you can take what I say and twist it is amazing. This all starting with you saying "cross the street" and me saying "their is a smoker over there too" which led to a mini-rant by you about the WORLD (i thought we were talking streets?) is not small.

I dont know where you live, but where I live there ARE smokers everywhere. If you walk down a street you are bound to pass at least 2-3 smokers ... same on the other side of the street. The world is not that small, but I live in NY, Rochester specifically and Rochester in comparison, IS small. Over 40 million people smoke in the United States.

So if you're passing them, then you're not standing in their smoke, right? Why are you choosing to breath when you are right in front of them? :lol:

How you can take what I say and twist it is amazing. This all starting with you saying "cross the street" and me saying "their is a smoker over there too" which led to a mini-rant by you about the WORLD (i thought we were talking streets?) is not small.

840119[/snapback]

By saying that "their is a smoker over there too" in response to me suggesting that you cross the street says that you believe no matter where you go that you will be stuck in second-hand smoke.

My response wasn't a rant on the world, it was a rant on your argument: No matter where you go, you'll be stuck breaking in smoke. My whole point was that with all of the air and space in the world, its not hard to avoid breathing 2nd hand smoke.