First US city to ban all smoking

Tux of Borg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhm i doubt this was politicians, so much as its what the people wanted. what monetary advantage does the mayor of a city get for banning smoking?

"The people, when they have been unchecked, have been as unjust, tyrannical, brutal, barbarous, and cruel, as any king or senate possessed of uncontrollable power. The majority has eternally, and without one exception, usurped over the rights of the minority."

- John Adams

"The people, when they have been unchecked, have been as unjust, tyrannical, brutal, barbarous, and cruel, as any king or senate possessed of uncontrollable power. The majority has eternally, and without one exception, usurped over the rights of the minority."

- John Adams

839362[/snapback]

I can think of at least one exception: prohibition. And actually there are a lot more exceptions where the minority ursurps over the majority. Kind of like in John Adams times when only a select few had any say in politics.

- John Adams

839362[/snapback]

You also have to take that quote in the friggin context it was said in.

Before America, all of the Republics/Democracies died because of mob rule. It was one of the founding fathers' biggest fears.

uhm i doubt this was politicians, so much as its what the people wanted. what monetary advantage does the mayor of a city get for banning smoking?

839356[/snapback]

Think of all the money the reporters from CNN, FoxNews, and all the other media outlets will pump into the local economy

They may also see a windfall if The Truth comes to film a commercial

Fast food does not have the same bans becuase if you're eating fast food the fat and cholesterol does not enter my body.

That's not my point. The fast food industry affects everything from commodities to health care. Its success has also had a negative affect on the quality of food you get EVERYWHERE else (especially the grocery store).

Once again I am merely explaining the basis of the anti-smoking laws which is why smoking has been banned in the workplace and in many states bars and restaurants.

839258[/snapback]

Bull. That's the parrot speak for the bill of goods the politicians are selling.

Right because you giving me advice to "cross the street" so some guy can infest his lungs with cancer is a much better comment than myne about their being smokers on both sides of a street.  :w00t:

839677[/snapback]

Beating your head will only kill the few brain cells that are left. :lol: