Biggest Mistake: Jauron Deviates from Game Plan

truth on hold

in the end jauron abandoned a game plan that had gotten bills into a potential late 4th quarter lead by calling pass on 3rd and 5 from the 20. the one thing they couldnt do in that situation is take a sack and made the go ahead field goal longer. the tackles had been getting lit up on passing plays all day and JP couldn't sense a pass rush with the most sophisticated GPS navigation system. just like clockwork tackle gets beat off the ball, jp has no clue and gets sacked and lindell misses 41 yard field goal. i honestly think if the field goal would have been 35 that lindell makes it. the colts were only able to get 17 points through more than 3 & 1/2 quarters and the best option was to make sure you put the onus on them to score on you. bills didn't need a TD ... they needed FG and going for a TD by calling pass wasn't worth the risk.

in the end jauron abandoned a game plan that had gotten bills into a potential late 4th quarter lead by calling pass on 3rd and 5 from the 20. the one thing they couldnt do in that situation is take a sack and made the go ahead field goal longer.  the tackles had been getting lit up on passing plays all day and JP couldn't sense a pass rush with the most sophisticated GPS navigation system.  just like clockwork tackle gets beat off the ball, jp has no clue and gets sacked and lindell misses 41 yard field goal. i honestly think if the field goal would have been 35 that lindell makes it. the colts were only able to get 17 points through more than 3 & 1/2 quarters and the best option was to make sure you put the onus on them to score on you. bills didn't need a TD ... they needed FG and going for a TD by calling pass wasn't worth the risk.

833990[/snapback]

DING! We have a winner...

Cheap coach, poor results.

DING! We have a winner...

Cheap coach, poor results.

833993[/snapback]

Right because the coach's pay is directly proportionate to how he will do with the team. Go tell that to John Fox (1 SB, and 2 playoff appearances), Jack Del Rio (12-4 last year and and barely missed playoffs the year before that), Levy when he first joined the Bills and the list goes on.

Right because the coach's pay is directly proportionate to how he will do with the team. Go tell that to John Fox (1 SB, and 2 playoff appearances), Jack Del Rio (12-4 last year and and barely missed playoffs the year before that), Levy when he first joined the Bills and the list goes on.

834020[/snapback]

Dick Jauron. Are you kidding me?

Ask a Bear fan what they think of old Dick, and they'll tell you the same sh-- we're seeing now.

lol, you've got to be kidding me...as if we would've won the game 19-17?  We've got to go for the TD with that much time on the clock.

834009[/snapback]

the colts were only able to get 17 points through more than 3 & 1/2 quarters. again, at a minimum, put the onus on them to score a FG on their last possession. coming away without points in that situation is disgraceful.

There is no guarantee that Lindell would have made the field goal if it was closer. You have to try and get a touchdown especially when there is time for Peyton Manning and Company to come back and score with the most clutch field goal kicker in NFL history.

the colts were only able to get 17 points through more than 3 & 1/2 quarters. again, at a minimum, put the onus on them to score a FG on their last possession. coming away without points in that situation is disgraceful.

834033[/snapback]

Please research Linell's career FG% differential between 35 and 41 yards in a dome. When you're done with that, figure the likelyhood of a sack. When you're done with that, figure the likelyhood the Bills D doesn't give up any more points (because our D never plays solid for 3.5 Qtrs and gives up a score at the end...see last game vs. Indy in 2003).

When you're finished with all that, consider that two 3rd down completions to Evans on the 1st possession set the FG - one 3rd&5 and 1 3rd&4 - and a white flag draw play erased any good possibility of 7 pts when the Colts hadn't shown any ability to stop Evans on 3rd down.

I'm sorry, your thread is retarded.

There is no guarantee that Lindell would have made the field goal if it was closer.  You have to try and get a touchdown especially when there is time for Peyton Manning and Company to come back and score with the most clutch field goal kicker in NFL history.

834069[/snapback]

all i know is a 35 yard FG gets made more than a 41. the bills needed to guard at all costs against tacking more yards on the FG. bills defense was playing well. put the onus on colts to beat them because for the most part that hadn't done much against them all game. bills ability to score TDs on offense is pitiful. play to your strengths and make sure you get the damn FG

Please research Linell's career FG% differential between 35 and 41 yards in a dome.  When you're done with that, figure the likelyhood of a sack.  When you're done with that, figure the likelyhood the Bills D doesn't give up any more points (because our D never plays solid for 3.5 Qtrs and gives up a score at the end...see last game vs. Indy in 2003). 

When you're finished with all that, consider that two 3rd down completions to Evans on the 1st possession set the FG - one 3rd&5 and 1 3rd&4 - and a white flag draw play erased any good possibility of 7 pts when the Colts hadn't shown any ability to stop Evans on 3rd down. 

I'm sorry, your thread is retarded.

834078[/snapback]

how many times did bills line get beat on the outside for a sack? you calculate that why don't you. i am sure colts eyes got real wide when they saw bills were stupid enough to throw on 3rd and 5 in that situation.

how many times did bills line get beat on the outside for a sack? you calculate that why don't you. i am sure colts eyes got real wide when they saw bills were stupid enough to throw on 3rd and 5 in that situation.

834098[/snapback]

When Robert Royal is on Freeney by himself, the probability is probably pretty high. Poor play design doesn't mean your absurd results-oriented hindsight theory is even remotely correct.

There is no guarantee that Lindell would have made the field goal if it was closer. 

834069[/snapback]

youre right and thatss one part of the analysis that is based on educated guessing. but i do know 35 yarders get made more often than 41 yards. also if you look at the kick he missed it would have been good from 35 yards. it drifted right just a few yards before the right upright

Dick Jauron. Are you kidding me?

Ask a Bear fan what they think of old Dick, and they'll tell you the same sh-- we're seeing now.

834026[/snapback]

Not really. The Bears fans would have ben mad because he would have called a predictable running play, not a pass.

Let's get serious .. Jauron does not call the plays. Talk to Mr. Fairchild about that call.

When Robert Royal is on Freeney by himself, the probability is probably pretty high.  Poor play design doesn't mean your absurd results-oriented hindsight theory is even remotely correct.

834172[/snapback]

i have no idea what you're trying to say with that.

also note that the bills fan who went to the game and posted only pointed to that play as hurting. that tells me the fans there realized and endorsed the importance of that 7 yard sack and the implications for a miss

I agree 100% with the post. In the first half I was yelling at the TV that we were playing Pu$$y Ball. I thought there was no way we could get enough points to win playing that way....BUT.....we had 2 monster plays on Defense and ST, and all of a sudden the plan actually worked. It probably had a 10-1 shot of working but it did. Who knows, maybe Fairchild had the under in Vegas.

Then....when all you had to do was center the F'n ball on 3 runs which would fit within your gameplan....7 step pass??? It is that 2nd guessing of one's self that makes me know we don't have the right OC. He had it and gave it away.

And to anyone who said we needed a TD because of Manning....we would still need a 2 pointer to go up by seven. If we miss, we lose anyway. If Indy scores, we get another drive most likely.

And to anyone who said we needed a TD because of Manning....we would still need a 2 pointer to go up by seven. If we miss, we lose anyway. If Indy scores, we get another drive most likely.

834556[/snapback]

7pt lead >>5pt lead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2pt lead.

834559[/snapback]

Right...but the arguement of how good Manning is...and he's going to lead them to a score for sure.....then even if you get the TD and miss the 2 pointer, that same arguement shold hold in the poster's mind, and Manning will take them down for a TD.

The playcall reminds me of something John Kerry would do. The correct thing to do is sitting right in your lap, you've been doing it 95% of the way....and then you get cute and F it all up. It is a reach out of character for the gameplan.

Right...but the arguement of how good Manning is...and he's going to lead them to a score for sure.....then even if you get the TD and miss the 2 pointer, that same arguement shold hold in the poster's mind, and Manning will take them down for a TD.

No...the argument is that it's 1,000 times easier for the Colts to get a FG than a TD. That's what I'm getting at with the ">'s".

The playcall reminds me of something John Kerry would do. The correct thing to do is sitting right in your lap, you've been doing it 95% of the way....and then you get cute and F it all up. It is a reach out of character for the gameplan.

834572[/snapback]

I'll just link the play-by-play log and leave it at that. This notion that running draws on 3rd&5 on the 18 was what kept us in the game is a joke. We got our 1st FG by completing passes on 3rd down. The draw play that set up the 3rd FG was NOT REMOTELY CLOSE to the same situation because it was a 3rd&20 and we were on the brink of FG range. This is probably the dumbest debate I've ever taken part in online, no offence or anything.

in the end jauron abandoned a game plan that had gotten bills into a potential late 4th quarter lead by calling pass on 3rd and 5 from the 20. the one thing they couldnt do in that situation is take a sack and made the go ahead field  goal longer.  the tackles had been getting lit up on passing plays all day and JP couldn't sense a pass rush with the most sophisticated GPS navigation system.  just like clockwork tackle gets beat off the ball, jp has no clue and gets sacked and lindell misses 41 yard field goal. i honestly think if the field goal would have been 35 that lindell makes it. the colts were only able to get 17 points through more than 3 & 1/2 quarters and the best option was to make sure you put the onus on them to score on you. bills didn't need a TD ... they needed FG and going for a TD by calling pass wasn't worth the risk.

833990[/snapback]

Yeah, we really should have went for it there. Punting was the wrong call.

No...the argument is that it's 1,000 times easier for the Colts to get a FG than a TD.  That's what I'm getting at with the ">'s". 

I'll just link the play-by-play log and leave it at that.  This notion that running draws on 3rd&5 on the 18 was what kept us in the game is a joke.  We got our 1st FG by completing passes on 3rd down.  The draw play that set up the 3rd FG was NOT REMOTELY CLOSE to the same situation because it was a 3rd&20 and we were on the brink of FG range.  This is probably the dumbest debate I've ever taken part in online, no offence or anything.

834578[/snapback]

Just like it is 1,000 easier for the Bills to get a FG than a TD.

If Bill Bellichek was our coach, and Brady was our QB, I don't mind the call. 6 minutes and you are about to go ahead of the best team in the league. I understand mixing things up, but that is not our style, and our QB has yet to prove he can handle these situations.

The only reason Losman didn't fumble there is because he was nailed into the ground with more acceleration than the ball received from gravity.

lol, you've got to be kidding me...as if we would've won the game 19-17?  We've got to go for the TD with that much time on the clock.

834009[/snapback]

read this quote from a colts fan

Had you all made that FG it may have spelled our 1st loss.

834876[/snapback]

that was the game missing that FG. theres a difference between 35 and 41, as a matter of fact the kick that missed would have been good from 35.

as a matter of fact the kick that missed would have been good from 35.

834898[/snapback]

I've read a lot of retarded arguments, but I'm not sure I've seen somebody openly admit they're using blatant hindsight.

It's like if a defense committs a post-play foul after a TD, and the offense chooses to assess that foul on the kickoff, and the PAT hits the goalpost....clearly the coach was stupid not to use the penalty yards on the PAT.

Time to go to bed ,,,,Lindell must make that kick, I don't care if it was 35 or 41 the kick must be made and that is why your argument is foolish at best...

834907[/snapback]

Let me tell you why your arguement is foolish. Even if Lindell had made a 70 yard kick and put us up by TWO, it wouldnt have mattered! Manning excels at coming back and winning the game.

BTW: What did the Colts offense do right after that kick? Drive 60 yards in 6 minutes with little to no difficulty.

834009[/snapback]

even coach dungy is talking about the importance of the sack and missed FG. are you saying you know more than he does?

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/200...224007d2012.txt

834559[/snapback]

if colts can score 3 then they can probably score 7. theyre either moving the ball or not. in that case best thing is make damn certain you kick the FG and take the lead. instead bills make a huge blunder and call a deep drop with the QB thats been sacked the most in the nfl :lol:

Let me tell you why your arguement is foolish. Even if Lindell had made a 70 yard kick and put us up by TWO, it wouldnt have mattered! Manning excels at coming back and winning the game.

BTW: What did the Colts offense do right after that kick? Drive 60 yards in 6 minutes with little to no difficulty.

834917[/snapback]

There may have been a very different momentum change, had the Colts been NEEDING POINTS, instead of 3.5 yards per play. If the Lindell makes that kick, I do not concede the game.

As Hank Bullough would have said: "That missed FG really took the sails out of our wind."

:(;)

There may have been a very different momentum change, had the Colts been NEEDING POINTS, instead of 3.5 yards per play. If the Lindell makes that kick, I do not concede the game.

As Hank Bullough would have said: "That missed FG really took the sails out of our wind."

:(  ;)

839272[/snapback]

im almost certain with how effective bills running game had been, how easy the FG was from 35 yards and how the colts had heat on JP all day, that the colts were ecstatic when they saw JP take that 7-step drop. its almost as if dungy took over the radiowaves and broadcast the exact play call he wanted to see into JPs headset.

So let me get this straight, beings a pass play was called, failed, and resulted in a failed 41 yd feild goal........we should have ran the dang ball, should we have failed to pick up the 1st down, resulting in a missed field goal (I cannot assume this would be made either, beings the 41 yd FG was missed, which USUALLY are made in doors.) We would be reading a thread of why we didnt pass the dam ball and how the coaches have no faith in JP and he needs to be benched. So either way second guessing does us no good...... it is what it is :w00t::lol:

So let me get this straight, beings a pass play was called, failed, and resulted in a failed 41 yd feild goal........we should have ran the dang ball, should we have failed to pick up the 1st down, resulting in a missed field goal (I cannot assume this would be made either, beings the 41 yd FG was missed, which USUALLY are made in doors.)  We would be reading a thread of why we didnt pass the dam ball and how the coaches have no faith in JP and he needs to be benched.  So either way second guessing does us no good...... it is what it is :lol:  :(

839512[/snapback]

DR. Z AGREES ... TERRIBLE CALL COST BILLS GAME

from Dr Z's latest NFL Power Rankings:

--------------------

Buffalo Bills (3-6)

Freeney sacked Losman to back the Bills up six yards and make the field goal just difficult enough to be missable. Could have won the game and beaten the Colts. And who was it that couldn't keep the NFL's speediest pass rusher out and prevent the sack? Robert Royal, a journeyman TE. Why? Why? Why? I just can't take this much farther.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...nks3/index.html

DR. Z AGREES ... TERRIBLE CALL COST BILLS GAME

from Dr Z's latest NFL Power Rankings:

--------------------

Buffalo Bills (3-6)

Freeney sacked Losman to back the Bills up six yards and make the field goal just difficult enough to be missable. Could have won the game and beaten the Colts. And who was it that couldn't keep the NFL's speediest pass rusher out and prevent the sack? Robert Royal, a journeyman TE. Why? Why? Why? I just can't take this much farther.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...nks3/index.html

840207[/snapback]

People are going to see it as they wish to see it. But if you cannot honestly think that with Six minutes left in the game, that field goal would have won the game. A touch down maybe, but not a field goal........If I am not mistaking, the colts drove sixty yards just running out the clock. I with all my heart believe they would have gotten in field goal range in that time if they so needed to.

But heck you all look at it the way you wish. But IMHO nothing less than a touch down would have won the game......hind sight is always 20 / 20 and makes it so easy to second guess

The TE Royals was beat on the sack, not Peters.

The QB should've recognized the mis-match and checked out of the pass play to a run. If JP isn't allowed to audible (which very well may be the case, I don't know for sure) then he should have burned the last timeout, discussed what he saw with the coaches on the sideline, and went out again on third down with two plays called...one a pass and one a run.