'08 Democratic Nomination

Chilly

More often than not, the charge was senility.

838885[/snapback]

I've heard both the lack of intelligence accusation, and the senility accusation. Maybe senility did start to kick in a little toward the end. But the autobiography was written after his presidency ended. Even with mental powers slightly impaired by whatever senility he might have had, he was still able to write a much better book than most other people could have done.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An excellent post. I've read Reagan's autobiography An American Life and he writes with clarity and grace. It's a good read, if you're interested in politics and in Reagan's life. Reagan was an intelligent man who liked to communicate in simple ways. This simplicity gave his opponents an excuse to call him stupid; an accusation that was wholly undeserved.

838750[/snapback]

Reagan didn't write An American Life; it was ghostwritten by Robert Lindsey.

And having somebody ghostwrite your autobiography doesn't make you well-spoken.

I now have a reason to dislike Obama.  He has teamed up with some of the anti-Walmart groups.  I can't stand all the crying about Walmart paying low wages and poor benefits.  Nobody has ever been forced to work for them.  Most people who work there appreciate their job.  Let's try to destroy one of the biggest employers in the country because they are a big bad business!  I can almost remember when it was a good thing when a business succeeded and produced great profits.  If you are working an entry level job at Walmart and you are not a kid or retiree, you most likely made some bad choices in life.  I don't know too many people who worked hard in school, went to college or work after high school and again worked hard, and ended up making minimum wage for a retailer as an adult!

wakeupobama

837923[/snapback]

This sounds a bit too much like what Kerry said about people in the military for my tastes.

Liberals hate all big business, except the biggest, most corrupt one of them all: the US Government.

839696[/snapback]

Although what I do find humorous is that the conservatives are so anti-immigration, yet support a company (Walmart) which has a track record of hiring illegal immigrants.

I personally shop at Walmart a decent amount. They're friggin cheap, perfect for College.

This sounds a bit too much like what Kerry said about people in the military for my tastes.

839684[/snapback]

So you don't agree that adults making minimum wage are generally the people that did not work hard in school and early employment?

The big difference between what I said and what Kerry said is that I am making the assumption about adults who are forced to work minimum wage jobs, and Kerry made his remarks about people who choose to join the military! I don't put our soldiers and Wal-Mart shelf stockers on the same level. If I offend some 40 year old who is still working the registers at Wal-Mart I don't care. You will also not hear me making some retarded appology for my comments.

So you don't agree that adults making minimum wage are generally the people that did not work hard in school and early employment? 

The big difference between what I said and what Kerry said is that I am making the assumption about adults who are forced to work minimum wage jobs, and Kerry made his remarks about people who choose to join the military!  I don't put our soldiers and Wal-Mart shelf stockers on the same level.  If I offend some 40 year old who is still working the registers at Wal-Mart I don't care.  You will also not hear me making some retarded appology for my comments.

839873[/snapback]

Yes. The working poor are stupid people. Way to defend the military. :w00t:

Although what I do find humorous is that the conservatives are so anti-immigration, yet support a company (Walmart) which has a track record of hiring illegal immigrants.

I personally shop at Walmart a decent amount.  They're friggin cheap, perfect for College.

839839[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with punishing Wal-Mart if they hire illegals. I do have a problem when Government wants to punish them for turning a profit and using them as a scapegoat for someone elses failures in life. If they were truly underpaying their employees, they would not be able to hire workers at the rates they offer. Obviously they are paying plenty because people are lining up to work there. The market should dictate wages, not the Government.

Yes. The working poor are stupid people. Way to defend the military.  :w00t:

839878[/snapback]

Show me in my post where I called anyone stupid. Lots of smart people make poor choices in life and are forced to pay for that later in life. Show me someone who worked hard in school or in a trade and I will be willing to bet they do not make minimum wage! I know many unintelligent people who made a nice life for themselves through hard work.

I do have a problem when Government wants to punish them for turning a profit and using them as a scapegoat for someone elses failures in life. 

839879[/snapback]

So if you are a low wage earner, you are a failure in life, or you made mistakes, huh?

Maybe you made a big mistake by not leaving town when you could, instead choosing to take care of an elderly an invalid family member. (much better to dump that on the government). Or maybe you have a spouse that died of cancer and still have children to raise - really easy to pick up and go to where the wages are, isn't it? Much better to sell the kids for organs and move to the Carolina's.

Yes. These people are failures in life, by failing to follow the free market of labor.

They are stupid !@#$ing dolts, and morally suspect.

Show me in my post where I called anyone stupid.  Lots of smart people make poor choices in life and are forced to pay for that later in life.  Show me someone who worked hard in school or in a trade and I will be willing to bet they do not make minimum wage!  I know many unintelligent people who made a nice life for themselves through hard work.

839890[/snapback]

You called them lazy.

Once again, someone from the angry right thinks that people who make the minimum must be stupid and/or lazy. Single women who left abusive relationships. Women who raised a family, but lost a spouse. Older people who lost their jobs to downsizing. People who dropped out of school to help support their family. The list goes on-and-on. Many of these people are victims of circumstance, and did not choose to be "lazy minimum wage earners." There are plenty of people who worked hard and "learned a trade" only to lose a job after twenty years with no industry left to hire them.

EDIT: What X.Benedict said.

Edited by Johnny Coli

I don't have a problem with punishing Wal-Mart if they hire illegals.  I do have a problem when Government wants to punish them for turning a profit and using them as a scapegoat for someone elses failures in life.  If they were truly underpaying their employees, they would not be able to hire workers at the rates they offer.  Obviously they are paying plenty because people are lining up to work there.  The market should dictate wages, not the Government.

839879[/snapback]

So, let me get this straight.

You're against illegals coming into the country, yet you are for giving them incentives to stay by allowing companies to hire them?

So if you are a low wage earner, you are a failure in life, or you made mistakes, huh?

Maybe you made a big mistake by not leaving town when you could, instead choosing to take care of an elderly an invalid family member. (much better to dump that on the government). Or maybe you have a spouse that died of cancer and still have children to raise - really easy to pick up and go to where the wages are, isn't it? Much better to sell the kids for organs and move to the Carolina's.

Yes. These people are failures in life, by failing to follow the free market of labor.

They are stupid !@#$ing dolts, and morally suspect.

839905[/snapback]

I'm sure some people are victims of circumstance. I don't feel you can base a government policy that forces a company to pay higher wages and benefits on a small minority of low wage earners. It is better to turn to Government programs when you have a situation like you describe instead of forcing changes for all low wage earners. If Government programs did a better job of helping those who are truly in need and weeding out those who take advantage of the system, there would be plenty of money to help the people you describe. It is much easier to blame big bad corporations though.