'08 Democratic Nomination

Chilly

Respectfully, I disagree.  It's not racist, after all, to say that Bush speaks poorly. 

Obama is well-spoken.  Not "well-spoken for a black man".  Well-spoken, period.

835334[/snapback]

Yes, but you rarely hear about a white politician being "well spoken." You also rarely hear about a white athlete being "well spoken." The implication is that a black person being articulate is a rarity.

I can't remember any black player being described as "high motor," even those (such as London Fletcher) who fit that description, which seems to be reserved for white people. Schobel is referred to this way, and his major asset is really his speed.

Have you ever heard of any white person being described as "well dressed?"

I am only trying to make the point that there are still stereotypical cliches being used.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now it does, obviously, look like Hillary is going to win the nomination.  All of the poll numbers show that this is the case, and she has some pretty decent support in the party.

There is a way, though, for her to lose, and it has to come within the next couple months.

The earlier that candidates throw their name into the ring, the better the chance that they have against Hillary.

The parallel here is the 2000 Republican primary.  Bush announced on March 2, 1999 that he is forming an exploratory committee to run for the Presidency.  Soon after, Bush announced that he officially was going to run for the Presidency.

McCain noted via fax that he was going to run for the Presidency, but delayed his official declaration until September 27, 1999.  This gave a HUGE advantage for Bush.

On June 30, 1999 Bush announced that he raised $37 million dollars.  Compare this to McCain at $6.3 million and Elizabeth Dole at $3.5 million.  This created both media attention for the Bush campaign, as well as made believers in his own party.

Bush was able, then, to snatch up all of the best Republican campaign talent in the US.  Because of this, his strength continued in victories in the 2000 primaries.

The same thing could very well happen with Barack Obama.  If he does announce soon that he is running for the Presidency, he could jump out to a huge fund-raising lead over John McCain, as well as grab up the best Democratic campaign talent.  This would be enormous.

In theory, so could Vilsack and the other possible Democratic candidates.  I do not, however, have as much faith in their popularity and fund-raising skills that would be needed to convince Democratic talent to jump on board with him over Hillary or Obama.

831105[/snapback]

How well-worded. :doh: Laying some groundwork for your employers, eh? :blink:

Yes, but you rarely hear about a white politician being "well spoken." You also rarely hear about a white athlete being "well spoken." The implication is that a black person being articulate is a rarity.

I can't remember any black player being described as "high motor," even those (such as London Fletcher) who fit that description, which seems to be reserved for white people. Schobel is referred to this way, and his major asset is really his speed.

I am only trying to make the point that there are still stereotypical cliches being used.

835559[/snapback]

I'm going to leave the parallel you are making about athletes out of this as its a different part of society altogether, and one that I'm admittedly probably less familiar with as far as racial overtones go.

To your point about rarely hearing a white politician being "well spoken": thats not really true. The President before Mr. Bush, Clinton, was considered well spoken. Reagan was another President considered well spoken. Kennedy was also considered well spoken. Nixon had a charm and was considered by some to be well spoken as well.

There are plenty of counter-examples to your assertion that you rarely hear a white politician being "well spoken."

And there are plenty of times where you hear of white people being well dressed. One example sticks out in my mind from the '06 elections - Nancy Pelosi's attire was getting all kinds of undeserved attention from the network "news" channels. The same presidents above (who had supreme image skills) such as Kennedy and Reagan were considered well dressed also.

While I'm not trying to discount your idea that race plays a very big part in society - it does, I am going to object to your assertion that it plays a huge part in the descriptions of candidate traits that you bring up.

I think that the racial cues are implied in a larger image of the candidate then what you provide, and not in specific references of his personality. (Hey, he has a shot at being our first African American President! He's succeeding despite the big odds!)

It is not quite as implicit of a cue as you describe (though it could be made into that, at this point it hasn't been).

Nice try. Quick response by you, too.  Nervous about being outed? ;)

835623[/snapback]

I wish I would have some way to be outed, then I wouldn't have to go to class from 4-5:30 today. :blink:

But on the bright side, you have a dual monitor setup and you get to use FileMaker  :doh:

835627[/snapback]

Since when has FileMaker been part of the bright side? :(

835559[/snapback]

And it's a very well-spoken argument...for a honky. :blink:

What is the black man equivalent for the derisive term, "honky?

Don't be shy, now...can't denigrate one race and not another...eh?  :blink:

835781[/snapback]

I think if you want to call a black man a Honky the term is Uncle Tom.

Hope this helps.

;)

Are you trying to say that a guy nicknamed as "The Great Communicator" wasn't considered that?

836159[/snapback]

Perhaps he was an able actor, capable of properly inflecting words as he read from somebody else's script. But hearing him attempt to speak extemperaneously only proved that the man was a blithering idiot.

Perhaps he was an able actor, capable of properly inflecting words as he read from somebody else's script. But hearing him attempt to speak extemperaneously only proved that the man was a blithering idiot.

836388[/snapback]

I wasn't old enough to really hear him speak when he was President. But the audio and video I have heard makes me beg to differ. That and what some of my relatives who had heard him in person (father was a cop who did security at political events and his uncle worked at a GE plant where Reagan gave speaches before he got into politics) have to say about him also contradicts what you say.

Like BlueFire said, there's a reason they call him The Great Communicator