Parting words from CBS's Early Show

SDS

I'm smart enough not to lose an argument by name calling and throwing out insults.

829995[/snapback]

Are you running for some sort of office? Congrats on losing an argument without insulting anyone then!

I am sorry if I offended you, but I found your assertion that you and your buddies on TSW were smarter than typical Americans to be both funny, and would most likely be insulting to a lot of people. All the while, you are arguing that FOX news holds out some virtues that no other media outlets have. I am sure you didn't really mean anything by it, but I think that perfectly illustrates how out of touch so many who call themselves Republicans have become with the real world. Believe me, Barry, there are plenty of smart people who voted, and most of them don't even know what the TSW is, let alone post messages on it...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell are they fuggin' tools for saying that?

I was also pleased that this was one of the best turnouts in history and that voters felt engaged.

829987[/snapback]

they are tools because the implication was that now that the Dems acquired some power it was because people were "finally paying attention" - as if they weren't the past 12 years.

Are you running for some sort of office?  Congrats on losing an argument without insulting anyone then!

I am sorry if I offended you, but I found your assertion that you and your buddies on TSW were smarter than typical Americans to be both funny, and insulting to a lot of people.  I am sure you didn't really mean anything by it, but I think that perfectly illustrates how out of touch so many who call themselves Republicans have become with the real world.  Believe me, Barry, there are plenty of smart people who voted, and most of them don't even know what the TSW is, let alone post messages on it...

830024[/snapback]

No, not running for anything.

they are tools because the implication was that now that the Dems acquired some power it was because people were "finally paying attention" - as if they weren't the past 12 years.

830034[/snapback]

You think most people (excluding people here) were paying attention?

<_<:P

You see the reaction you get on the main board if somebody REMOTELY gets political... :P

My grandfather would have an expression for poeple like that:

A "Golly-Ga-Loo Bird"

What is that you say?

A person who hides his/her head in the sand and whistles out their ass...

Far for me to judge!

:D

I'm smart enough not to lose an argument by name calling and throwing out insults.

829995[/snapback]

You're losing the argument because you're out of your mind.

The premise that the MSM outside of Fox has a liberal bias has been shot down repeatedly by many people on this board. If pressed, and actually did some research, you'd find that the media outlets that you point the finger at for being liberal are far from it, and often interview with a decidedly rightward tilt. The fact that the media laid down like cowering dogs for this administration since the period just prior to the 2000 election has been well-written about. It is only recently, when the MSM felt they could actually start asking penetrating questions of this administration without a backlash from the American people, that they began to press them for straight answers, and not just a wink and a nudge.

830034[/snapback]

From what you posted I didn't get that feeling at all, just that they were happy to see a ton of people engaged into the elections.

I didn't see the show, is there a transcript anywhere?

So Wesley Clark, Geraldine Ferraro, Bob Beckel, Geraldo (All regulars) are "Right Wing"? Please name a conservative who regularly appears on ABC News, CBS News, CNN, NBC News? MSNBC has Joe Scarborough, but that's it.

829757[/snapback]

I think more people go to Bills games than watch PMSNBC.

"The premise that the MSM outside of Fox has a liberal bias has been shot down repeatedly by many people on this board." 

I guess that ends this discussion.

830091[/snapback]

The average poster on this board is smarter than the average person! :D

You're losing the argument because you're out of your mind. 

The premise that the MSM outside of Fox has a liberal bias has been shot down repeatedly by many people on this board.  If pressed, and actually did some research, you'd find that the media outlets that you point the finger at for being liberal are far from it, and often interview with a decidedly rightward tilt.  The fact that the media laid down like cowering dogs for this administration since the period just prior to the 2000 election has been well-written about.  It is only recently, when the MSM felt they could actually start asking penetrating questions of this administration without a backlash from the American people, that they began to press them for straight answers, and not just a wink and a nudge.

830064[/snapback]

Actually, it's pretty well documented in sources outside this board that the MSM has a liberal bias that is, like I said, covert and unconscious, rather than the overt and conscious bias of FoxSnooze.

Actually, it's pretty well documented in sources outside this board that the MSM has a liberal bias that is, like I said, covert and unconscious, rather than the overt and conscious bias of FoxSnooze.

830294[/snapback]

Depends on the sources and methodologies of the studies.

The studies that are the ones showing reporters to be liberals are garbage in my opinion. Thats great and all, but theres really not a lot of research into how that has an effect on reporting.

The stuff that is compelling are the studies by people such as Robert Entman. Entman's book, Projections of Power, has a very good chapter entitled “Debating War Against Iraq”.

What he finds is that the media, at least in the realm of foreign policy, is highly supportive of the Administration in the news pages, yet critical of the Administration in the editorial pages. He finds that critics leading up to the Iraq war didn't get much coverage at all, and that their ideas were largely ignored by the media. The story selection was such that it helped the Administration make its case for the Iraq war, and it didn't air critics and their views very much. He judges it based off of the amount of space given to supporters of the war versus the amount of space given for people against the war from the get go.

There have been other similar studies on the media and airtime for supporters of a President versus critics. By in large, the supporters get more coverage then critics of an Administration.

One of the arguments out there is that the media report based upon what the public mood is. When the public supported the Iraq war, the media was supportive of it. Of course, this raises the issue of who actually started these attitudes.

Which is why I think its more or less controlled by the almighty dollar. When the media feels that they can play on public interest and patriotism (such as what the country felt after 9/11), they are supportive of the President. When there starts to be sentiment that he's screwing up, that sells newspapers, and thus becomes a big story. The "biases" that are perceived are neither Democratic, Republican, or Green party, but rather Green Bill.

I am, however, referring to the News Industry, not the News As Entertainment industry (CNN, MSNBC, Fox, most radio - hell most stuff except for newspapers, *some* online reporting, and a very small amount of radio. The Network Nightly News can sometimes be the News Industry too).

Besides getting the finger-pointing out of the way quickly, Republicans better not walk away from basic conservative principles.

This loss was about:

1. Page-boning, and the subsequent failure to do anything about same

2. Tom DeLay and his cronies and the lobbyists and the um, stealing

3. Spending big $ on stupid stuff for the folks back home, for the sole purpose of maintaining power

4. The arrogance and corruption that comes with entrenched power

5. Bush and the war didn't help...but the Republicans could have held on if it weren't for items 1-4.

829463[/snapback]

You forgot the absolute ineptitude of the Federal government during an emergency crisis.

Although the reported bias is plain for anyone to see, I think the most egregious bias is in what is NOT reported more than what is reported.

829509[/snapback]

How's this for a newsflash: Democrarts take over House and Senate.

Do you want a little cheese with that whine?

Get over it.

This is a great example of things the Cable News Networks won't report. Last night when it was announced that Webb had beaten the Mighty Macaca and the Dems had taken over the Senate CNN and MSNBC broke immediately to the story.

Fox? They had Greta on talking about that super important issue the Duke rape case. Talk about sour grapes Fox.