JP vs The Excuse Factory

mike1011

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say.  I just went with the flow for my first 2 weeks.

827503[/snapback]

And look at you now!!! :flirt: I'm from Lake George and I'm always in Clifton Park. I'm looking at renting some office space on Halfmoon Executive Park, but it's all in negotiation.

What have the coaches done?  It should be obvious that whatever 'system' of playcalling they're utilizing is isn't working and shows no signs of ever working.  Sure, blame the quarterback.  I think Fairchild and company have designed a guaranteed-to-lose set of plays for a young qb.  I suspect that the plays are so rudimentary that opposing defenses can gameplan against the woebegone Bills in their sleep.  Show some imagination.  If this is the only offense they think Losman can run, it's time to start planning for a replacement.  The replacement just might be the OC.

827377[/snapback]

He's had three different coaches calling the plays for him. Sure, blame the coaches.

If he was decent against MIN who can't produce any pass rush....perhaps if he had an OL that could provide him with better protection he would look more like the QB aginst MIN & improve from there.

827418[/snapback]

Or alternatively it could be that it is easier for a QB who takes too long to make decisions and can't feel the pass rush to do well.

We do not know how much of it is the OL and how much is it the QB. Sometimes JP has no chance, and sometimes he just stands there and takes to long to get the ball out.

Or alternatively it could be that it is easier for a QB who takes too long to make decisions and can't feel the pass rush to do well.

We do not know how much of it is the OL and how much is it the QB. Sometimes JP has no chance, and sometimes he just stands there and takes to long to get the ball out.

827637[/snapback]

Exactly....so why call for his head?(not you specifically...all the others on the board).

Exactly....so why call for his head?(not you specifically...all the others on the board).

827645[/snapback]

I don't want to call for his head per se. Perhaps at times I seem like anti-JP b/c I do not like the he can do no wrong attitude and that it is all everyone else's fault thing.

I do not think it is crazy or stupid to be calling for his benching, but it very well may be wrong at this point. But I do not think that it is necessarily wrong a few weeks from now or before the end of the season.

Doesn't Nall get looks in practice? I mean, I am a mark for JP this year - but I would think Nall gets some snaps and JP would have to look good enough considering how bad he is playing. I mean is Nall lit is up during the week, wouldn't the coaching staff give him a try, would the sportswriters bring up how good Nall is looking? I am not saying he can't be a good QB, but its not like Green bay had a gem and traded him.

Not a terrible thought, but since JP is a #1 pick, I think you need to give him the full year, no excuses and then decide to keep him or cut him.

....Perhaps at times I seem like anti-JP b/c I do not like the he can do no wrong attitude and that it is all everyone else's fault thing.....

827649[/snapback]

To me this is a very BIG point that is causing a lot of unrealistic descention on this board.

There seems to me to be many like you with this view & as far as I can see it just isn't the case. There is virtually no one here who comes out & says what you are refering to....except maybe cåblelady...but she just thinks he looks cute....maybe one or two others but they don't blanket post their thoughts. If you look at the 'excuses' posts, you'll generally find they are responding to the 'bench him now' posts.

There is no general attitude on this board that JP is tops &/or it is all the OLs fault. Most JP backers expect more errors from him at this point than from an established QB. There is simply the attitude of 'since the OL does suck, it is premature to judge too harshly at this point'.....also the 'JP sux' line of thinking.

I have posted a LOT in defence of JP....not because I think he is good....I don't...I think that considering all the factors (OL/experience/new everything/etc, etc) it is premature to call for his head.....particularly since we apparently have no other realistic option...& the fact if we give up 1 month too soon on him, it could mean another 10 years of waiting for the next guy.

Maybe I should clarify. What I object to is when someone criticizes Losman, it's like duh, OL, or duh coaching or duh give him time.

To me, that his play isn't concerning people is ridiculous. That's what I objecting too. I can respect the people who think that the jury is still out on him. I have a hard time understanding the idea that he is there and it's just the rest of the team that has the problem.

JP's problems can be summarized in an analogous way to Bledsoe:

-If we had a better O-line

-Better receivers (minus 2002)

-Too long in the pocket

-Fumbles too much

Now what's the downside to starting Nall at this point? We hurt JP's feelings? When guys like the 6th round Gradkowski have a better grasp of the NFL at this point we have to start asking why not look at Nall for a few games before we waste another season on ineptness.

-Brady throws to the worst receiving core in the entire NFL, they get separation. Price, Reed, Evans are better than Caldwell, Brown, and the other no-names.

-Gradkowski is playing with 4 games experience and has better #s with a shaky O-line. The difference is he plays high % passes with a quick release on 3 step drops.

-Lienart looked good that one night where he got rid of the ball quickly and accurately against the Bears with 3 step drops.

Facts are good QBs make the players look better around them. JP has progressed since last year but he lacks so much football intuition he looks like an athletic version of Bledsoe with less accuracy on passes over 15 yards.

Nall might not be the answer, but at this point we are throwing away the possibility of seeing if we have something with Nall (forget Holcomb, we know his capacities). What have we got to lose? JP isn't on a weekly progression chart so it's not like he's going to regress, and his progression isn't growing exponentially.

It's time to see if these team has other options at QB this year. JP might be good someday, but Nall might be better. A 4 week trial period is fair-enough. It gives JP enough time to clear his head, check our options and move forward for next year.

I really believe if he wasn't a 1st rounder people would be far less lenient. People would be calling him decent depth and a good shoe in. Give him a 1st round tag and we want to waste 2 more years on him. Sorry, but guys who sit the pine do learn the game (Culpepper, McNair, Romo, et al.). It's time for him to learn and try our other options or expend the rest of the team, alienate the offensive players who want stats for contractual reasons, and see our full options.

Nall might not be the answer, but we have to see. If he doesn't we go back to status quo. I believe this should happen after Indy next week. To me it's low-risk with potential high rewards.

GO BILLS!!!

826390[/snapback]

If Tampa has a Shaky o-line then ours has Tourette's syndrome

Tampa's line has stifled the run almost to a halt. Gradkowski is getting killed but getting rid of the ball more often than not. I wouldn't put their line above ours. Simms was hospitalized, Cadillac is driving like a Pontiac, and Gradkowski is running for his life and throwing the ball quickly.

Lastly, did anyone see the presence of Seneca Wallace? I just want one Seneca Wallace game by JP where he gets a 14 point half and 125 yards by half-time. Wallace and the Seahawks just ran out the ball as best as possible.

When I'm pointing at Wallace and Gradkowski as decent in comparison to JP it makes me state all the more clearly, if JP wasn't a 1st rounder he would be called decent depth at this point and nothing more. Nall has to be given some shot after next week. Then again if he lights up the joint maybe all of us have been blind and didn't see his football intuition which was latent and just blossoms... we can all dream can't we?

Go Bills!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Mike- how ya doin buddy?

848595[/snapback]

You would stake your future on that performance? Sure the end result was good, we won, but would you give that win to JP? Ouch...

It's a step forward, I'm happy, but he doesn't impress me at all except for the last game. What did he do to show he's better than good depth other than the last game? Really, tell me I'll be open to all ideas. He passed for 160 yards, had an INT, and Parrish's return, the missed FGs bailed him. It's not as if he carried the offense although he did have a good last drive.

If you were a GM would you really watch that game and say, "Wow!!! We have a great starter for our future!!!" I wouldn't, I would still be cautiously optimistic for the future. I hope for his success, but if Flutie-like performances are enough to be a good QB in this league is enough than you have lowered the bar way too low.

You would stake your future on that performance? Sure the end result was good, we won, but would you give that win to JP? Ouch...

It's a step forward, I'm happy, but he doesn't impress me at all except for the last game. What did he do to show he's better than good depth other than the last game? Really, tell me I'll be open to all ideas. He passed for 160 yards, had an INT, and Parrish's return, the missed FGs bailed him. It's not as if he carried the offense although he did have a good last drive.

If you were a GM would you really watch that game and say, "Wow!!! We have a great starter for our future!!!" I wouldn't, I would still be cautiously optimistic for the future. I hope for his success, but if Flutie-like performances are enough to be a good QB in this league is enough than you have lowered the ball way too low.

I'd be very optimistic for his future and say "we need to get better players around this kid!"

If you were a GM would you really watch that game and say, "Wow!!! We have a great starter for our future!!!" I wouldn't, I would still be cautiously optimistic for the future. I hope for his success, but if Flutie-like performances are enough to be a good QB in this league is enough than you have lowered the bar way too low.

848641[/snapback]

There will be prizes given for the last of the anti-Losman holdouts. You're definitely in the money.

Holy crap, some of you people are absolutely ridiculous.

This is a rebuilding year, even though we've been rebuilding for 7 years.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the maturation of a QB and a team. Stop with the Craig Nall crap for this season.

RTB

There will be prizes given for the last of the anti-Losman holdouts.  You're definitely in the money.

848663[/snapback]

Should I be gushiing over 169 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT?

Call it not sold yet, not anti-Losman. You are on the wrong critique if you can find where I said I'm anti-Losman. I'm on the "I'm not sold by one good game" type.

Call me crazy, but Ryan Leaf had shown as much. I'm being cautiously optimistic, but not drooling.

Should I be gushiing over 169 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT?

Call it not sold yet, not anti-Losman. You are on the wrong critique if you can find where I said I'm anti-Losman. I'm on the "I'm not sold by one good game" type.

Call me crazy, but Ryan Leaf had shown as much. I'm being cautiously optimistic, but not drooling.

849183[/snapback]

Yeah, the Ryan Leaf comparison is crazy. His career numbers are less than 50% completion and more than 2-1 INTs to TD ratio.

Leaf in 98 (truly a rookie) had a game where he was 25 comp 52 att 281 yards 1 TDs 0 Int against Seattle

In 00' he went 13/27/311 (comp/att/yards) 3:1 TDs/Int against Denver a playoff team (Texans certainly aren't). I will keep the #s in the same reference points later on.

23/43/259 2/1 against the Panthers

2001 16/32/193 against Denver which is very similar to what JP did today.

Leaf didn't play in 99' because of wrist injuries. He was 26 when he retired. JP is 25, 26 in 4 months. Certainly Leaf's injuries forced him out quicker (as well as his horrible gametime performances), but please show me where I'm that far off. JP had many sub-par games like Leaf and it looks like he's doing better.

But please don't jump on the bandwagon after 169 yards and an INT!!! Be patient, RJ looked like much better much more often.