Watch Toronto Maple Leafs win Stanley Cup

millbank

Out of curiosity, have the Loafs won a championship in YOUR lifetime?

823861[/snapback]

Nope....I've been a Leaf fan since the 1986 season or as Leaf fans affectionately refer to it as the Twilight of the Harold Ballard Era......

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it weak? If the Leafs would have won a Stanley Cup (or even been in the Finals) in those 36 years, you might have an arguement. Maybe that total would have been different had Buffalo been an original 6 team, maybe they would be tied with Toronto in SC wins. But no matter how you look at it, since Buffalo has been in the league (the amount of time they have had to win the cup) the leafs and Sabres have the same amount of championships

823842[/snapback]

It's weak because if the situation was reversed, you would be arguing in favour of the point that I've put out there.

And you know that how?

823878[/snapback]

Don't even think of denying it....you guys know it....you just won't say it....but that's okay.

PS - this is really weird debating the same guys that I've agreed with in football debates. :devil:

No I'm not invalidating hockey during that time, I just don't validate Leafs fans that want to throw it in the face of Sabres fans that they have so many cups when none of them have come in the time that the Sabres have even been in the league. If the Sabres had won the cup in the 70's against the Flyers, or in 99 against the Stars, I wouldn't go up to a Minnesota Wild fan or Nashville Preditors and use the amount of Cups Buffalo won in an arguement against them.

That is the only arguement you get from a Leafs fan when they are arguing with a Sabres fan, "Yeah, well atleast we won the cup", or "Yeah well how many cups have the Sabres won?" Its not a valid arguement when the team you are arguing for has never won the cup (let alone been to the finals) since the other team has been in the league.

823831[/snapback]

There is no argument, the Leafs have won 11 Stanley Cups, that fact you feel is in your face is your problem. That the Sabres were not around is a big so what.

And I do not believe you when you say , (if the Sabes do win a Cup in the next few years) if in , shall we say twenty years another expansion team fans wanting to validate themselves as being superior, looked only in front of their nose and claimed the Sabres inferior, I think also you will point the Sabres having won something, "settle down", frankly its part of the perks of winning.

(the Sabre Leaf competition is one sided in terms of animosity, not to be rude, but Leaf fans pay very little attention. I trust you understand I am not arguing with you, as I do root for the Leafs but also in my point of view the Sabre team is composed of excellent players both in terms of skill and more important character, they seem good individuals. The Sabres themselves I would be happy to see win Cup, but I fear few Sabre fans will have class enough to handle it as far to many will spend more time talking smack than enjoying the monemt. ) My guess is those Leaf fans who talk similar smack are also ones who never lived in the time of Leaf Cups, or they would get it, in the good feeling and accomplishment of doing so bad feeling have no place it.)

Enjoy the moment, you just dont know when it will come around again...

Your mullet?  :devil:

823880[/snapback]

I don't have a mullet (unfortunately I can't grow one), It must be the American genes of mine that keep the Canadian mullet genes from allowing my head to grow one.

Saying that we would do the same is the lamest excuse everyone uses in an arguement because they have nothing else. There is no way to prove that if it was reversed Sabres fans would use the same arguement that they won more cups.

Lets face it, as leafs fans that is all you have, a historic and great past, everything from '67 on has been mediocre so you have to go back to the cup wins as an original 6 team. Just like Buffalo fans aren't going to go back to the 80's or early 2000's (during the Regas Fiasco) to look for points to an argument.

There is no argument, the Leafs have won 11 Stanley Cups, that fact you feel is in your face is your problem.  That the Sabres were not around is a big so what. 

And I do not believe you when you say , (if the Sabes do win a Cup in the next few years) if in , shall we say twenty years another expansion team fans wanting to validate themselves as being superior, looked only in front of their nose and claimed the Sabres inferior, I think also you will point the Sabres having won something, "settle down", frankly its part of the perks of winning.

(the Sabre Leaf competition is one sided in terms of animosity, not to be rude, but Leaf fans pay very little attention.  I trust you understand I am not arguing with you, as I do root for the Leafs but also in my point of view the Sabre team is composed of excellent players both in terms of skill and more important character, they seem good individuals. The Sabres themselves I would be happy to see win Cup, but I fear few Sabre fans will have class enough to handle it as far to many will spend more time talking smack than enjoying the monemt. ) My guess is those Leaf fans who talk similar smack are also ones who never lived in the time of Leaf Cups, or they would get it, in the good feeling and accomplishment of doing so bad feeling have no place it.)

823890[/snapback]

I don't mind the Sabres, I was pulling for them last year.....especially when they beat the heartless and gutless Senators.....

There is no argument, the Leafs have won 11 Stanley Cups, that fact you feel is in your face is your problem.  That the Sabres were not around is a big so what. 

(the Sabre Leaf competition is one sided in terms of animosity, not to be rude, but Leaf fans pay very little attention.  I trust you understand I am not arguing with you, as I do root for the Leafs but also in my point of view the Sabre team is composed of excellent players both in terms of skill and more important character, they seem good individuals. The Sabres themselves I would be happy to see win Cup, but I fear few Sabre fans will have class enough to handle it as far to many will spend more time talking smack than enjoying the monemt. ) My guess is those Leaf fans who talk similar smack are also ones who never lived in the time of Leaf Cups, or they would get it, in the good feeling and accomplishment of doing so bad feeling have no place it.)

823890[/snapback]

Grant, since it seems Junior is unwilling or unable to answer my question, maybe you can enlighten me. Why don't TO fans count the SC won by the Arenas and the one won by the St. Pats in their W totals? IF the Sabres were to win one and then 5 years later start calling themselves the "Paychecks" or the "Diving Mullets" I would still say THAT team had won a Stanley Cup.

Also, I agree with you that the animosity between the 2 fan bases is one sided, but it runs the other way. Wear Sabres colors in TO and wear a Sundin in Buffalo and see where you will catch more crud walking down the street. (Not heading to a game, just minding your own business.) I GUARANTEE you, the people on Younge Street will give you more flack than the ones on Pearl. (Now if you wore a Marino shirt on Pearl Street, that would be a different story.)

Grant, since it seems Junior is unwilling or unable to answer my question, maybe you can enlighten me.  Why don't TO fans count the SC won by the Arenas and the one won by the St. Pats in their W totals?  IF the Sabres were to win one and then 5 years later start calling themselves the "Paychecks" or the "Diving Mullets" I would still say THAT team had won a Stanley Cup.

Also, I agree with you that the animosity between the 2 fan bases is one sided, but it runs the other way.  Wear Sabres colors in TO and wear a Sundin in Buffalo and see where you will catch more crud walking down the street.  (Not heading to a game, just minding your own business.)  I GUARANTEE you, the people on Younge Street will give you more flack than the ones on Pearl.  (Now if you wore a Marino shirt on Pearl Street, that would be a different story.)

823907[/snapback]

Hello Dave, nice to speak with you.

The earliest Toronto team was called the Blue Shirts, the League was called not the NHL

but the NHA, a man called Eddie Livingston owned them. He was really a persona, he did not get along with many of the other owners. Read this link perhaps in reading the history some, you will understand the the dynamic of the time better than I can tell :devil:

Leafs and Toronto Hockey history

( If you can get your hand on the new book by Susan Foster called "The Power of Two" , it tells of Carl Brewers battle in the hockey owners and the ousting of Alan Eagleson , he in consort with Russ Conway and others, intersting book, that after reading one must ask if the "new NHL" , really "The New NHL" or business as usual.)

regarding Yonge Street, my guess is one could get jumped wearing a white shirt with

"have a nice day" printed on it. ;):wub:

Also, I agree with you that the animosity between the 2 fan bases is one sided, but it runs the other way.  Wear Sabres colors in TO and wear a Sundin in Buffalo and see where you will catch more crud walking down the street.  (Not heading to a game, just minding your own business.)  I GUARANTEE you, the people on Younge Street will give you more flack than the ones on Pearl.  (Now if you wore a Marino shirt on Pearl Street, that would be a different story.)

823907[/snapback]

Speaking of that, I was just in Toronto during the Day last Saturday (before heading to Buffalo to watch the game) visiting some relatives and they decided that we should go out for lunch to the Mandarrin for the Buffet. I didn't realise til we got there and were waiting to be seated that I had my Sabres hat on. I was wondering why I would get the occasional weird look. I was just thinking at the time too, I should have worn one of my jerseys too like I originally planned.

Typically when I head to Toronto my choice of hat is either my Jays or West Coast Choppers, I leave the Buffalo one for when I'm at home

Hello Dave, nice to speak with you.

The earliest Toronto team was called the Blue Shirts, the League was called not the NHL

but the NHA, a man called Eddie Livingston owned them. He was really a persona, he did not get along with many of the other owners. Read this link perhaps in reading the history some, you will understand the the dynamic of the time better than I can tell :devil:

Leafs and Toronto Hockey history

( If you can get your hand on the new book  by Susan Foster called "The Power of Two" , it tells of Carl Brewers battle in the hockey owners and the ousting of Alan Eagleson , he in consort with Russ Conway and others, intersting book, that after reading one must ask if the "new NHL" , really "The New NHL" or business as usual.)

regarding Yonge Street, my guess is one could get jumped wearing a white shirt  with

"have a nice day" printed on it.  ;)  :wub:

823917[/snapback]

The intrigue as to how the NHL replaced the NHA would explain TO not taking credit for a 14th SC. But I'm still not certain why you are claiming the 11 TML SC's and not the 1 won as the Arenas (or new Blues, or whatever moniker you'd prefer) nor the 1 won as the St. Pats. By my count your team is at 13, not 11.

The intrigue as to how the NHL replaced the NHA would explain TO not taking credit for a 14th SC.  But I'm still not certain why you are claiming the 11 TML SC's and not the 1 won as the Arenas (or new Blues, or whatever moniker you'd prefer) nor the 1 won as the St. Pats.  By my count your team is at 13, not 11.

824068[/snapback]

The Toronto Maple Leafs have won 11 Stanley Cups, its not a claim but a fact, Toronto teams have won 14 as the record shows, none of it claims, they are facts. Take some time to read the history of the name Toronto Maple Leafs and perhaps you may not dismiss it as just a moniker, it does mean very much to many , many people.

It is what it is. :devil:

I once wet farted on loveseat thinking I messed the fabric but lucky me, i was sitting on a Leafs jersey...

Leafs...  Owned by Buffalo for 10 years......

824177[/snapback]

Navy, you had better hope that the Sabres win tommorow with smack talking like that. :devil: Leafs fans would feel much better about thier chances if it were business as usual as far as Buffalo sports teams are concerned. But with guys like Drury and Brier this team has more charachter than any other Buffalo sports team that I can remember. That includes the 90s Kelly lead Bills. jmho though . There really is something special about this team and im an objective observer being a Sharks guy.

Navy, you had better hope that the Sabres win tommorow with smack talking like that.  :devil: Leafs fans would feel much better about thier chances if it were business as usual as far as Buffalo sports teams are concerned. But with guys like Drury and Brier this team has more charachter than any other Buffalo sports team that I can remember. That includes the 90s Kelly lead Bills. jmho  though . There really is something special about this team and im an objective observer being a Sharks guy.

824183[/snapback]

Peters will bring his golf game....!

Will be a great game in Buffalo!