DEFENSE NEEDS MOST HELP

CAT

I'm not sure, but according to Bills Daily, London's cap figure for 06 is 4.9 million. I think that the franchise tag for LBs is smaller than that of CBs (7.4 for Nate?), so the difference in cost over what he makes now might be negligible.

I have a hunch that they will tag him for a year.

823656[/snapback]

I'm not exactly sure what the LB tag number is (couldnt find any source that listed it), but given that urlacher, lewis and peterson all have big conracts, it wouldnt surprise me to see the tag in the 6-7 mil range.

Note: Julian peterson was tagged in 2005 for 7.3 mil. But that was the second year in a row he had been tagged, so his contract was 120% of his previous, NOT the average top 5 salaries.

EDIT: i am assuming that the NFL consideres LB 1 position, not OLB and MLB.

EDIT #2: spoke too soon. Here are the 2006 franchise/transition tag numbers. Based on those, fletcher would cost us 7.1 mil to tag him.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...x.htm#franchise

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in the Draft, getting more then a d-linemen and a linebacker is too much.

The rest of the draft should focus on a RT (or LT if Peters doesn't look like he will suceed there and a better option is available) another Guard, and then maybe a TE (although I think Royal could be our answer if they start including him in passing plays), a FB or another RB to complement McGahee and split time (alot of teams are going in this direction now of having 2 good backs) and maybe another WR to become our #2 behind Evans.

The have depth already at Safety, and a CB can be taken if Clement is gone but I would say he is probably replaced through FA since Youbouty was taken this year. QB (if Losman is deemed not the answer, which I doubt will happen this offseason), would be answered through Nall or FA this year (maybe a late pick will be used to develop as a #3 for now) and pretty much every other position is covered.

822060[/snapback]

I think we may have shored up RT with last year's draft with the additions of Butler and Pennington but wouldn't be against bringing in a vet for depth/competition purposes. I think we should definately target a G on the first day of the draft as Chris V has shown he can't stay healthy a full year and with the recent changes it doesn't look the coaches have much faith in Reyes and Gandy's due to be an UFA after this year. Steinbach be a good addition through free agency. A WR to compliment Evans be nice and while I liken a guy like Calvin Johnson available with our top pick I prefer to use high picks on guys in the trenches. As let's not forget Kelsay's due to be an UFA of course that might be why we added Hargrove. I'd retain Clements with the franchise tag again and hopefully a long term contract as for the sake why make a hole when don't have to?

I agree a young QB might be worth going after in day 2, Kevin Kolb is a guy on my long list now that I could see going after.

Fletcher and Spikes could be both be as good as gone but think if we can retain one then maybe we can afford to take a LB later then sooner in the draft or possibly in free agency.