ESPNbarassing

Beerball

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to turn the volume off, it's such drab that I often consider self inflicting a knife into my temple.

ESPN officially sucks in my book, the radio, the channel, everything.

820842[/snapback]

Dont forget the cellphone, the credit card, and coming soon; ESPN:The Cologne.

The entire ESPN Football production is garbage. It all seems contrived, phony, forced upon us and way overblown.  I don't need 10 minutes of crap before the game starts at 8:40. I don't need to see Paris Hilton. I don't need Music Video Openings and 5 minutes of computer graphics blowing stuff up on the screen. I don't need TWO utterly useless sideline reports. Just come on at 8:30. Play the MNF song and start the freakin game.

The other thing I really, really hate- The "Monday Night Football Countdown Clock" on the bottom of the screen - 24 HOURS before the games starts! I KNOW when MNF is on. How annoying is that?

Not to mention their schedule is utter crap as well. Next week- Seattle vs Oakland. Ohhh. Can't wait. The Countdown clock is on. 145:47:00.

820776[/snapback]

100% correct! I think I watched 10mins of the 2nd quarter. After that, I switched to Center Ice hockey. Wayyyyyy better than the crap ESPN is shoveling.

ESPN is a joke now. I really don't like it hardly at all anymore.

The derby was embarassing - I thought racing perogies at Pirates games was as low as things could go, but Monday proved me wrong....

My immediate thoughts as I watched from a TV in the airport:

1. Why do none of the costumes/masks look anything like the guys they supposedly resemble?

2. When is Michael Irvin going to stab the guy in the Michael Irvin costume in the neck with a pair of scissors?

3. This is what happens when you can't get acting work - you have to dress like Tony Kornheiser and run a fake race in huge floppy shoes - time to kill yourself?

Bumper sticker poetry? That is a classic song by Frank Zappa from one of his greatest albums "Overnight Sensation". The song is called "I am the Slime".  You should check it out. Some of the hottest guitar licks this side of the 70s. ;)

821553[/snapback]

It still doesn't rank up there as anything special, you may like the song but the lyrics are far from profound, poignant, or meaningful.

http://www.pistonslap.com/

823002[/snapback]

Let's see...the GM small-block...millions and millions produced...an engine knowledgeable community lauds as one of the greatest motors ever...gazillions of race victories

vs.

pistonslap.com, a site drippping with attorneys offering to sue for you.

Here's a little blurb on the 3.3 million notified Toyota customers, re sludge problems destroying their V-6 and I-4 motors. A word to the wise if you contemplate purchasing a used toyota across the affected models and production years.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=150&did=1090

Hmmm....

Let's see...the GM small-block...millions and millions produced...a motor the knowledgeable community lauds as one of the greatest motors ever...gazillions of race victories

vs.

pistonslap.com, a site drippping with attorneys offering to sue for you.

Here's a little blurb on the 3.3 million notified Toyota customers, re sludge problems destroying their V-6 and I-4 motors.  A word to the wise if you contemplate purchasing a used toyota across the affected models and production years.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=150&did=1090

Hmmm....

823014[/snapback]

Now this is a classic hijack. We've gone from ESPN bashing to gearheads. :angry:

I have no idea who wrote that bumper sticker poetry but I will guess that he was neither great nor true.

As for feeling sorry for everyone in the world who is younger than you did the people who lived in the time of the ice deliver man ever say that they feel sorry for you with your electricity and refridgeration?  How about medieval surfs who were fortunate to live in the rollicking times of the black death and a life akin to slavery?  Do you think they felt sorry for the poor saps who lived in the Renaissance?

821523[/snapback]

Sounds like Frank Zappa to me. :D

I do not feel sorry for the younger members of the Wall. All you old farts need to remember that in perspective, "these are the good old days". :w00t:

On the other hand, there are Pats fans who have no idea who Steve Grogan was so I suspect most of today's "utes" don't know much about Woody...or Arlo, for that matter. They likelyk think Pete Seeger had a Silver Bullet Band.

821433[/snapback]

Heh, the lion sleeps tonight. :D

Let's see...the GM small-block...millions and millions produced...an engine knowledgeable community lauds as one of the greatest motors ever...gazillions of race victories

The problem motors aren't the venerable Chevy 265/283/302/305/327/350/400 cast iron smallblocks, they are a new design improperly built due to bean counters. Remember Vega?

Here's a little blurb on the 3.3 million notified Toyota customers, re sludge problems destroying their V-6 and I-4 motors.  A word to the wise if you contemplate purchasing a used toyota across the affected models and production years.

No doubt there. Every manufacturer has their share of lemons due to poor design or workmanship. Ramblers used to be pretty good sometimes. The Olds Rocket V8 was spectacularly solid, then GM converted them to diesel and they exploded.

To later posters, this could be an example of a conversation in the MNF booth with whoever the featured guest of the week is. Maybe Tom Tjorborrenson going at it with Theissman.

The problem motors aren't the venerable Chevy 265/283/302/305/327/350/400 cast iron smallblocks, they are a new design improperly built due to bean counters. Remember Vega?

No doubt there. Every manufacturer has their share of lemons due to poor design or workmanship. Ramblers used to be pretty good sometimes. The Olds Rocket V8 was spectacularly solid, then GM converted them to diesel and they exploded.

To later posters, this could be an example of a conversation in the MNF booth with whoever the featured guest of the week is. Maybe Tom Tjorborrenson going at it with Theissman.

823608[/snapback]

CD, I keep pretty close to happenings in the auto biz, and haven't come across a big deal being made about the problems you mention. My guess is if it was terribly extensive, it would be well-publicized...the media has no problem pouncing on US manufacturers.

Certainly, vehicles are very complex, and problems of assembly, design, and materials occur. I'm aware of several GM motor problems...I own a '98 Malibu with a 3.1 V-6 that has the characteristic intake manifold leak. It causes no harm - but dealers do try to convince folks to fix it, usually 4 to 500 bucks. Honda eventually stopped making motors that jam the valves into the pistons if a cam belt fails.

The Vega motor - that was the aluminum block with the "button" hardening of the cylinder wall. Bad move, and its' corrosion snafus were monumental. I'd mention that much of the Japanese production at the time were notable rust buckets. They, like Vega, were IMO rush jobs in response to the gas crisis then. As was that idiotic deisel conversion.

Occasionally, manufacturers bite the bullet. In I think 1988, Ford was swapping out complete turbo 4 cyl engines that were installed in the Thunderbird SC. About 3 years ago, Acura put a new 5 speed auto in the TL that hit the market and destroyed itself in under 10K. They re-engineered, and replaced something like 10 thousand of them.

I thought Toyota's original assertion of the sludge problem being due to owner abuse was terrible. But there is something to that, in general. Some folks wax their beauty twice a month, others scrape their feet off on the rocker box.

When I was in automotive, I had occasional dealings with the warranty folks. One of them told me that there are customers out there who beat the bejeezus out of a new vehicle, then hire a law firm to collect service bulletins and use them to demand back the full purchase price, because "all" these problems are evidence that his poor client was duped. The upshot is that all manufacturers think long and hard before putting problem issues on paper. Bad apples spoiling the bunch...