Discouraged Wilson says Bills owe fans better effo

fbzh2

Most of you have no doubt read this on TwoBillsDrive.com….but I am surprised that no one has commented on what RW, jr has said…..The last time he came out publicly to complain about the teams play was when they turned it around in Meathead’s first year….can we be so lucky this time, with this team? :doh::lol:

Discouraged Wilson says Bills owe fans better effort

Post Comment

(October 23, 2006) — ORCHARD PARK — Ralph Wilson stood in the entranceway to the Buffalo Bills locker room in the stadium named after the venerable team founder.

The look on his face after Sunday's 28-6 loss to the New England Patriots, a defeat that was like rewinding the tape on nearly every game played between these two teams in the new millennium, said instantly that Wilson was experiencing equal parts frustration, disappointment and anger.

"I'm just very discouraged," said Wilson, whose team lost its third consecutive game to fall to 2-5 heading into its bye week. "When we were 2-2, I felt we were on the way up a bit. The Bears game out there, we were overpowered, and since then ...."

Wilson collected his thoughts and continued.

"The Detroit game, I was extremely disappointed, and today, too. We do a lot of dumb things. Not that we have the greatest talent, but we have better talent than the dumb things we do."

Dumb things like nine penalties, including a roughing-the-passer call on Chris Kelsay when Tom Brady had slid to the ground and was sitting down. Dumb things like three turnovers by quarterback J.P. Losman, including a fumble caused by running into an official. Dumb things like Jabari Greer biting on a pump fake that resulted in a 31-yard gain during yet another Brady-led touchdown drive.

All of these silly, undisciplined actions were discouraging to Wilson, and what really angered him was the general lackluster effort put forth by his team, inexcusable in his eyes, considering the circumstances.

After road losses to unbeaten Chicago and then-winless Detroit, the Bills were returning home to face their fiercest rival in front of the 26th sellout crowd in the last 27 games in Orchard Park.

Furthermore, the greater Buffalo region is still getting back on its feet after a freak Friday the 13th snowstorm devastated the area.

Despite this cocktail of emotion, the Bills responded with their 12th loss in the last 13 games to New England.

It was a loss as hideous as any since Bill Belichick began coaching the Patriots and Brady became their starting quarterback. A loss that gave the Patriots a third consecutive season series sweep. A seventh consecutive Bills loss in the season rematch, including the last five by a combined score of 150-36.

As usual, the score sheet said Sunday's game was close, but the Patriots aren't about stats, they are about winning. They suffocate teams with their patience and poise. These are qualities that have not been attached to the Bills — who committed 16 penalties to New England's four in this year's two games — for a very, very long time.

Wilson said he was ready for a rebuilding year, but not to be embarrassed. Not many owners would have the courage to say it, but he did.

His players let him down.

They let their city down.

"Yeah (I knew we'd be rebuilding), but it's still hard to take the money from the fans to see this kind of exhibition, and the players really ought to realize that, too," he said. "These fans work hard and go through all of these natural disasters, and dig down and spend their last few dollars and come out and see us play. The players should realize that. They should play hard and not do dumb things."

This hasn't been a good fall for Wilson, dealing with a bad back and now another bad football team.

Weary from watching his team not make the playoffs in six consecutive seasons, he instituted the biggest organizational reshuffle in Bills history last off-season, beginning with the firing of president and general manager Tom Donahoe.

In five seasons under Donahoe, the Bills were 31-49 and the club took a huge backward step last season by finishing 5-11. In came Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy as general manager and Dick Jauron as coach.

Back in the day, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas and Jim Kelly would want to fight you after a loss.

But there are still too many players in this locker room spilling out tired cliches and excuses.

Clearly, there is a culture of losing here that won't be changed in seven games under the new regime.

Wilson, who turned 88 last week, can't help but look back as he looks forward. He apologized once to fans for handing unprecedented power to Donahoe, who did a good job of making him feel like a stranger, and now realizes the job he handed Levy and Jauron is bigger than he thought.

"What really upsets me the most: Before Marv and Dick came in, we regressed so badly," Wilson said. "We let players go. We let Pat Williams go. We let Ruben Brown go. There seemed to be too many personalities involved. People say, 'Hey, forget it, Ralph. Look forward. Be optimistic.' But I can't help but look back and say that at my age, I threw five years away."

It's a disheartening truth. Give Wilson credit for saying it. And even though he acknowledged that the Bills still don't have playoff-caliber talent, they ought to play with their heads and their hearts in the right place.

That's the least that the owner and the fans deserve.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So true.

I really hope for Ralph's sake (and ours) that he gets to see this thing turned around -- not to mention a Super Bowl championship.

[Those Super Bowl years seem so far away now.]

814318[/snapback]

They sure do!

Then open up the wallet and hire some talent in the front office.

We endured the Wade Phillips era

We endured the Tom Donahoe era that brought us such wonderful coaches as Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey

I love Marv Levy and all, but I think his time has passed.

:doh:

Well written piece. Maybe good enough to give the original author (Leo Roth) and the publisher (Rochester D&C) credit for it.

814325[/snapback]

Of course that’s who wrote it! As I said it was posted one TwoBillsDrive.com>>>>

Then open up the wallet and hire some talent in the front office.

We endured the Wade Phillips era

We endured the Tom Donahoe era that brought us such wonderful coaches as Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey

I love Marv Levy and all, but I think his time has passed.

:doh:

814329[/snapback]

Maybe we should get a genius like Nick Saban. He might be available soon. Do you think we can get him for a 6th and TO for a 3rd? Right there we should be the Super Bowl favorite. If Nick doesn't turn it around in 7 games we can get rid of him too. Don't worry; 7 games is enough for any good football mind.

Does Ralph owe the fans a better effort? This team sits 10 million under the cap. While I don't expect that the Bills HAVE to spend that cash on free agents that aren't worth it they at least should spend much of it to extend some current Bills contracts and frontload them so the team has more money to spend in future years.

I have patience for a young team learning new systems but I have little patience for a front office/ownership that doesn’t do everything in their power to be competitive. The salary cap only works to even the playing field if the teams spend up to it.

What bothers me the most about this team is what appears to be a lack of heart. New England manhandled our defense on that first drive and really set the tone for the game. Corey Dillon's first TD run was pathetic, nobody was physical, and the defense looked like pansies.

Aside from the obvious lack of talent that we have compared to the teams from the 90's, there is a huge lack of pride. The men that played for those teams would not allow us to be owned by a team the way the Patriots have owned us.

You should be upset ralph, your product sucks! And we, the fans (your customers) are getting fed up with sub par crap being thrown on the field for the past 10 years. Hate to say it, but a lot of times it starts at the top, and wilson plays a major role in us sucking the past 10 years.

Does Ralph owe the fans a better effort?  This team sits 10 million under the cap.  While I don't expect that the Bills HAVE to spend that cash on free agents that aren't worth it they at least should spend much of it to extend some current Bills contracts and frontload them so the team has more money to spend in future years.

I have patience for a young team learning new systems but I have little patience for a front office/ownership that doesn’t do everything in their power to be competitive.  The salary cap only works to even the playing field if the teams spend up to it.

814350[/snapback]

It doesn't matter how much he spends on the team, that isn't the point. If it was the Redskins would be handed the trophy every year.

The point is not that this team is losing due to lack of talent, they are losing because the team doesn't seem to care and get fired up and play with heart. Thats what Ralph is complaining about. People were willing to give the Bills a wash for this season (or so they say) as long as the team was improving, and showing promise for the future. This team is not showing that right now and they don't seem to care, they look like a beaten team and Ralph feels they owe it to the fans to give it 110% on the field at all times.

What (or who) could Buffalo have spent that money on to bring them up to the cap that would have made a big impact on this team and fit into the current plan/scheme that Marv and Dick have in place.

You should be upset ralph, your product sucks! And we, the fans (your customers) are getting fed up with sub par crap being thrown on the field for the past 10 years. Hate to say it, but a lot of times it starts at the top, and wilson plays a major role in us sucking the past 10 years.

814355[/snapback]

In his defense, at least he is apologizing to the fans and accepting responsibility for letting the team get this way. For once, I would like to see the players have some accountability. Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear one of the players do this at the post game press conference.

"I am sorry for letting you trade a 1st and a second round draft pick for me. If I hadn't cheated on my Wonderlic you probably wouldn't have done that." JP Losman

"I am real sorry for getting run down from behind by a corner that has been nursing a bad hamstring, but next year is my contract year, not this year." Willis McGahee

"Yes, of course we played yesterday" London Fletcher and Angelo Crowell

"I know that we are not very good, but that moron taking the snaps doesn't make us much better" Jason Peters

"Sorry guys, I am just the punter" Brian Moorman

"Yeah, I told Marv that I was talking to a couple of other teams, but that wasn't true. I still can't believe the signing bonus they gave me." Peerless Price

ralph shoulda hired someone like jimmy johnson....that guy would have been cutting players during the season who repeatly were making mistakes!and i bet under jimmy we would have beaten the pats opening day and we wouldnt have lost to the jets or the lions lol......i really do believe he would have given the bills instant credabilty though......

814355[/snapback]

He also plays a major role in keeping the team in Buffalo and not LA

What more can he do? Everyones answer seems to be to spend more money on a coach, but on who? Good coaches aren't usually looking for a job in the offseason and I'm sure this time they were not going to go with the "flavour of the month" "hot" co-ordinator first time head coach

I guess we could have an owner like Snyder and be as successful as the Redskins. Oh wait a minute, we already are except we pay less for the coaching staff and players

$$$$$$ doesn't always mean success, Atleast Ralph isn't just sitting back and saying nothing, the guy is mad at his team and is letting them know he doesn't accept the lackluster attitude and effort.

ralph shoulda hired someone like jimmy johnson....that guy would have been cutting players during the season who repeatly were making mistakes!and i bet under jimmy we would have beaten the pats opening day and we wouldnt have lost to the jets or the lions lol......i really do believe he would have given the bills instant credabilty though......

814379[/snapback]

Yeah. Or Nick Saban. He makes players cry and his teams are the best.