The madness that is the Buffalo Bills

Drive chart play-by-play:

Buffalo Bills at 08:23

1-10-BUF20 (8:23) W.McGahee left tackle pushed ob at BUF 28 for 8 yards (E.Wilson).

2-2-BUF28 (7:55) W.McGahee right tackle to BUF 31 for 3 yards (M.Vrabel; T.Bruschi).

1-10-BUF31 (7:18) J.Losman pass short right to W.McGahee to BUF 36 for 5 yards (T.Warren, M.Vrabel). Dump pass, caught at BUF 32.

2-5-BUF36 (6:38) W.McGahee right tackle to BUF 37 for 1 yard (T.Bruschi).

3-4-BUF37 (5:59) J.Losman pass short left to L.Evans to 50 for 13 yards (T.Bruschi). Caught at 50.

PENALTY on BUF-P.Price, Illegal Shift, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 37 - No Play.

3-9-BUF32 (5:23) (Shotgun)

PENALTY on BUF-J.Losman, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 32 - No Play.

3-14-BUF27 (5:03) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass short right to W.McGahee to NE 17 for 56 yards (E.Wilson). Shovel pass, caught at BUF 25.

1-10-NE17 (4:12) (Shotgun) J.Reed right guard to NE 16 for 1 yard (R.Harrison). Direct snap to J.Reed.

2-9-NE16 (3:35) W.McGahee left guard to NE 13 for 3 yards (J.Seau).

3-6-NE17 (2:59) (Shotgun) J.Losman FUMBLES (Aborted) at NE 17, and recovers at NE 17. J.Losman to NE 22 for -5 yards (R.Colvin).

4-15-NE22 (2:28) R.Lindell 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman.

NE 7  BUF 3,  Plays: 9  Yards: 58  Possession: 5:59.

So, Willis picks up a 1st down with two good runs. On the next set of downs, the Bills are 3rd & 4 and execute a nice hitch to Evans for 13 yards. However, an Illegal Shift called on Peerless, 5 yard penalty. That sets up 3rd & 9, which the Bills manage to turn into a 3rd & 14 after a Delay of Game penalty. WTF??? Quick play clock? Poor awareness? Who knows...

Back to the action, a well-designed shovel pass that Willis takes for 56 yards to the New England 17. Huge play, crowd is alive. The Bills break the huddle for the 1st down play...Play clock winding down again, forced to use a timeout. WTF??? And then, for the biggest WTF of the day, they come out of the timeout and line up Losman at WR and Josh Reed at QB in the shotgun. Reed takes the snap and runs into the line for 1 yard. After a run by Willis, Losman drops the shotgun snap and is sacked on 3rd & 6. They settle for the FG to cut the lead to 4, the closest they would be for the rest of the day.

What a mess this whole drive was. Basically, it was the 2006 Bills offense summarized into one drive. A lot of bumbling and fumbling, with a big play mixed in, just to drive you crazy.

The most frustrating part of this offense is that they refuse to throw the ball in to the end zone.

Whether by play call and poor reads by Losman, they refuse to attack the end zone.

From the 17, they should have taken 3 shots at a TD and then kicked a field goal.

From the 17, they should have taken 3 shots at a TD and then kicked a field goal.

814202[/snapback]

I don't know if I'd go that far but I'd definitely like to see them open it up a bit in the red zone. The run, run, pass stuff is so predictable. At some point they have to throw the ball on first down in the RZ.

And then, for the biggest WTF of the day, they come out of the timeout and line up Losman at WR and Josh Reed at QB in the shotgun.  Reed takes the snap and runs into the line for 1 yard. 

814137[/snapback]

At this point I started looking to see if Mularkey had snuck back into the coach's booth :doh:

The play made no sense at all.  JP can run - if you wanted a QB draw, just let JP run it.  :doh:

814239[/snapback]

Agreed or snap it to McGehee. That play goes down as perhaps the dumbest play I've seen, period. It was at that point, that I knew without a shadow or a doubt, we'd lose the game. The coaches gave up on the offense, and it wasn't long afterward that the players gave up on the coaches. From there, everyone was just going through the motions to get to their vacation time.

That snap to Evans is indiciative of why this team continues to lose. These dumb "tirick" plays are killing us. I know a lot of you make fun of Mularkey for that. At least some of his worked. Trick plays are fine when they work, see the Steelers in SBXL or the halfback pass from Dan Reeves to Lance Rentzel in the Ice Bowl.

But all of Jauron's have hd no chance of working. The fame field goal, fake punt, and now this have all failed miserably.

In 7 games this team has gone from a scrappy team playing over it's capabilities to stay close and even win a couple of games to a team that just looks pathetic. They've lost whatever it was they had. They look like they know they're going to lose. I'm just worriedd now that we miught no win as many games as we did last year.

If Brad Quinn's available when we draft, pick him!

And then, for the biggest WTF of the day, they come out of the timeout and line up Losman at WR and Josh Reed at QB in the shotgun.  Reed takes the snap and runs into the line for 1 yard. 

814137[/snapback]

All things considered, it was a running play that kept the clock running. I think it fit the game plan perfectly. Not as conservative as running Damian Shelton or taking a knee, but strangely effective just the same.