I really want to give up JP....but

Mr. T

I think back to a couple of years ago and remember how much Carson Palmer struggled his first FULL year as a starter. He really looked like he might be a bust but he came back the next year and lit the place up.

I know I was the guy that started the thread talking about JP not having "It" and I'm pretty sure he probably never will, but Carson also looked lost his first year and turned it around.

MM really screwed the pooch last year by yanking JP without letting him learn from his mistakes. This year was like starting all over again. Palmer and Eli Manning both played like crap their first year but their coaches stuck with em. The Bills unfortunately need to do the samething this year. If JP only gets worse as the year goes on and shows little promise than the Bills will know what direction to go during the off season.

O yeah....a quality LT and center can't hurt either. Maybe throw in a couple average Guards too.

The 32nd overall pick in the 2001 draft, Brees struggled in his first few seasons, which led the Chargers to trade Eli Manning to the New York Giants for quarterback Philip Rivers on the day of the 2004 draft.

813592[/snapback]

That's not a good example.

I'd kill for a similiar "problem". You draft a stud and your original QB comes on. So you have 2 GREAT QB's and have your ass covered.

As much as I was hoping for J.P. to be the guy, i can't see it happening. He doesn't have very good pocket presence and he isn't always accurate. We're 2-5 and it doesn't look like we're going anywhere, so we might as well throw Craig Nall in there and see if he has anything. Who knows, maybe he is the next Hassleback.

As much as I was hoping for J.P. to be the guy, i can't see it happening.  He doesn't have very good pocket presence and he isn't always accurate.  We're 2-5 and it doesn't look like we're going anywhere, so we might as well throw Craig Nall in there and see if he has anything.  Who knows, maybe he is the next Hassleback.

813736[/snapback]

Nailed it.

The Bills HAVE TO see enough of JP this season to determine if he's worth developing or not. It's as simple as that. They shouldn't throw in more variables by switching QBs now. The "experiment" must proceed until the end of the season... painful though it may be for all of us to watch.

If you pull the plug on JP now (and I am sort of on the fence on this one) you will have to live with consequences.

Holcomb is not the answer as he will never lead a team anywhere.

That leaves Nall, who may or may not be the answer. But if you pull Losman for Hall, then that's it for Losman. If Nall can't get it done here's where your at.

Can you find a decent QB in free agency (I don't know who will be available in the off-season), or are you back to another 'project' by drafting another un-proven taelent with 'potential. Are Bills fans ready for another 3-5 year's of hoping this guy is the next Kelly?

Personally I have probably seen enough of Losman, but as I said, if you pull the plug now, you have to be prepared to live with the consequences.

That's not a good example.

I'd kill for a similiar "problem". You draft a stud and your original QB comes on. So you have 2 GREAT QB's and have your ass covered.

813695[/snapback]

You are wrong. The Chargers' move is a perfect example of a team giving up on a QB too early. Say what you want, but the Chargers would be in even better shape now if they had used the value of that #1 pick on something other than a QB. Don't forget that they ended up getting nothing for Brees, who is now working wonders in N.O.

JP and Brees are completely different types of QBs and aren't really comparable either. Brees fell to 32 because while he was a smart, accurate QB with all the instincts and came from a winning Big 10 school, people wondered whether he had the physical tools to play in the league. JP was drafted at 22 because while he had all the physical tools in place, he came from a losing mid-major program and people wondered about his accuracy and whether he could put it together mentally (and at the time, people also wondered whether he was a cancer). I don't take any comfort in Brees' eventual success because the reasons why JP was drafted low and why Brees was drafted low were completely different.

What about the obvious? I don't think that he is physically capable of holding on to the football. JP has fumbled 8 times and lost five of them!!!! He is also good for dropping at least one snap per game.

He fumbled 7 times in 9 games last year and lost three of them.

That alone should be reason enough to sit him down. It is one thing to make a poor read and throw an INT, but fumbling 7 times in 8 games is unacceptable.

Palmer was pretty good in his first year.

813583[/snapback]

Look at palmer's first year starting. sure his overall numbers turned out decent, but it was the tale of 2 halves. The first 9 games, he stunk up the joint and went 4-5 with 7 TD's compared to 12 INT's. It was the second part of the season when he turned it up and started playing fairly well.

Dont kid yourself into thinking palmer played excellent all season.

Look at palmer's first year starting. sure his overall numbers turned out decent, but it was the tale of 2 halves. The first 9 games, he stunk up the joint and went 4-5 with 7 TD's compared to 12 INT's. It was the second part of the season when he turned it up and started playing fairly well.

Dont kid yourself into thinking palmer played excellent all season.

813943[/snapback]

I must've missed the qualifying statement about the first half of his first season :P