Anyone speak French?

CosmicBills

Maybe I've seen you. 

Or else I see you.

After careful consideration, I'd guess the first one.

811694[/snapback]

Okay, we'll see how this all plays out. As long as I make it out alive so I can make my flight home for the game tomorrow morning, I'm happy.

Thanks for the help everyone. :blink:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably: "I've seen everything."

j'ai vu tu - this isn't proper french, so it probably is tous.

yay canadian education!

811933[/snapback]

What do you expect when the guys are dating 14 year olds. Not done with school yet.

BTW, literal translation is "I see you" as spelled. Although it is proper French it is very poor and informal. The polite way is J'ai vu vous. Which is the really the polite way of saying I see or I saw you. The way it is spelled is considered very rude and likely she is agreee at you because she saw you somewhere where she didn't expect you.

And yes I am not kidding. That truly is the difference.

BTW, the other thing on the translation is if you mispelled the first part. If it's "J'aime tu vu". I roughly translates to "I may like you". Again not ompletely proper, but may also be what she is thinking.

you must have a really boring life.

811948[/snapback]

At times. But I like it that way. Right now I am exhausted and therefore felt like basically being an ass. Of course I am good at it anyways, but you make it so easy.

811951[/snapback]

why don't you two get a room?

At times.  But I like it that way.  Right now I am exhausted and therefore felt like basically being an ass.  Of course I am good at it anyways, but you make it so easy.

811951[/snapback]

why don't you two get a room?

811954[/snapback]

Sorry I've got hair on my balls and therefore not his type. Thank the Lord. :blink:

At times.  But I like it that way.  Right now I am exhausted and therefore felt like basically being an ass.  Of course I am good at it anyways, but you make it so easy.

811951[/snapback]

Not really, I doubt you even got a chuckle from anyone. You're on Ed's level of sad jokes, but keep thinking you're the man if that's what helps you sleep at night.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as /dev/null. Took 4 years in high school.... Couldn't speak it worth much, but was much better at the written word (then again, that's how I am in English, too). Haven't had much of an opportunity to use it much since.

tgreg, it would mean a lot if you'd share who said this and what their level of French is, as well as if you're inaccurate in transcribing it. Lots of people who piece words together from F-E dictionaries so it literally translates but means gobbledegook in French.

As you typed the sentence, it would be as said: 'I have seen all.' But with slight differences, it could be an unpolished speaker saying 'Je veux tu' meaning 'I want you' (It should be "Je te veux," for proper syntax, in that case).

BTW, literal translation is "I see you" as spelled.  Although it is proper French it is very poor and informal.  The polite way is J'ai vu vous.  Which is the really the polite way of saying I see or I saw you.  The way it is spelled is considered very rude and likely she is agreee at you because she saw you somewhere where she didn't expect you. 

BTW, the other thing on the translation is if you mispelled the first part.  If it's "J'aime tu vu".  I roughly translates to "I may like you".  Again not ompletely proper, but may also be what she is thinking.

811941[/snapback]

Uhh... :blink: In the first case for politeness, it would be "Je vous ai vu." In your second case, it would be "Je t'aime" for "I like you." The direct object goes before the verb in cases like that. And introducing the conditional "may" in that opens up a linguistic can of worms that anyone who knows French knows isn't there.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as /dev/null. Took 4 years in high school.... Couldn't speak it worth much, but was much better at the written word (then again, that's how I am in English, too). Haven't had much of an opportunity to use it much since.

tgreg, it would mean a lot if you'd share who said this and what their level of French is, as well as if you're inaccurate in transcribing it. Lots of people who piece words together from F-E dictionaries so it literally translates but means gobbledegook in French.

As you typed the sentence, it would be as said: 'I have seen all.' But with slight differences, it could be an unpolished speaker saying 'Je veux tu' meaning 'I want you' (It should be "Je te veux," for proper syntax, in that case).

Uhh... :blink: In the first case for politeness, it would be "Je vous ai vu." In your second case, it would be "Je t'aime" for "I like you." The direct object goes before the verb in cases like that. And introducing the conditional "may" in that opens up a linguistic can of worms that anyone who knows French knows isn't there.

811996[/snapback]

Actually I think these long paragraphs could have been avoided since my translation is pretty much right ;) I'm not being arrogant, I just use it everyday to speak with friends and such.

Whoever wrote it sucks in the language or is really lazy. Chances are they were saying I saw you.