Calvin Johnson Or Joe Thomas?

Mikie2times

...because that philosophy has worked so well for us these past 10 years.    That was the exact same logic behind picking just about every player we have, and look where we sit now.

811796[/snapback]

That would be true if we actually used 2nd and 3rd round picks for the O-Line. We haven't. Just because you don't use a 1st rounder on a tackle doesn't mean you're failing to address the lines. The best guards don't go until the 2nd or 3rd and there are usually a few top rated tackles still there in the first half of the 2nd.

We have been using second day picks and average to poor (Bennie) free agents to try and fix the line. That's clearly not working.

I think if we use 2 of our 3 first day picks on a tackle and a guard, we will have gone a very long way towards shoring up this mess. I would like to take a tackle in the first, but I'm not closed on the thought of taking a play-making wideout so long as we address the line in the next two rounds and we think the talent will be there.

I started a thread about Calvin Johnson a few weeks ago. If he's on the board you have to take him. At 6'5" 235 and a 4.35 40, how can you possibly pass him up? We have no red zone threat AT all. Yes our OLine is bad, but if we had a top 10 or top 5 pick and someone like Johnson is available I see no reason why you would use that pick to shore up 20% of your line. Use picks 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 to address the OLine if need be but you do not pass up on a player like Johnson. The lack of a red zone threat has killed us. Evans is a solid #1 but he's an under sized receiver in the red zone. And let's be serious, do we really expect Neufeld to catch another touchdown pass? I'd rather use pick 1 on johnson, 2, 3 on Oline help, throw a linebacker in there and some dline help or a dback.

I'm sorry. I'm mistaken, if we get all top-priced FA lineman, sprinkled with a few 2nd round drafts, we'll be in the Superbowl for years to come. You're right.

Just one thing... what if someone outbids us or the FA doesn't want to come to Buffalo? Do we still blame Marv and cheap ol' Ralph?

I'm sorry.  I'm mistaken, if we get all top-priced FA lineman, sprinkled with a few 2nd round drafts, we'll be in the Superbowl for years to come.  You're right.

Just one thing...  what if someone outbids us or the FA doesn't want to come to Buffalo?  Do we still blame Marv and cheap ol' Ralph?

811811[/snapback]

Glad you see it our way.

I'm with the above poster. Its not that the bills havent spent 1st rounders on o-line, its the failure to spend ANY first day picks on the line. Say in this years draft. I'd have no problem spending the first elsewhere is we snagged some good linemen in the 2nd and 3rd.

I'd have no problem spending the first elsewhere is we snagged some good linemen in the 2nd and 3rd.

812022[/snapback]

But you don't know that you will snag some good linemen in the 2nd & 3rd when you are picking in the first do you?