Finally got my question to Mort!

Schulman16

It's pretty rare that I agree with everyone but I agree.

I mean yeah, TD did a couple good things and I don't think many people dispute that. Honestly though, has Mort or Pasquarelli ever given credit to any other administration after their departure who did nothing but lose? Ever? It's a pretty ridiculous agenda they have.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty rare that I agree with everyone but I agree. 

I mean yeah, TD did a couple good things and I don't think many people dispute that.  Honestly though, has Mort or Pasquarelli ever given credit to any other administration after their departure who did nothing but lose?  Ever?  It's a pretty ridiculous agenda they have.

795949[/snapback]

I agree with you. It is a pretty ridiculous agenda they have.

The thing is, Levy and Jauron don't appear to be focused on credit or blame or using their lackeys to attack others.

They are focused on rebuilding a once championship caliber ORGANIZATION to it's former glory!(pre-Tom Donahoe era)

Lets enjoy it....we are finally going in the right direction!

Just a hunch I guess....TD did a lot of things wrong, but he had a fair number of pretty great moves too.  As has been pointed out by others, and I agree, more than drafting this bust or that bust, TD's biggest flaw was hiring men to coach his team that just were not ready to have that job.  I am of the feeling that in both of these hirings, TD's ego played a role...I know, personally, that TD was devastated at being let go by Ralph Wilson, and really never thought it would happen. 

My opinion is, TD is still a pretty smart guy, who admittedly, has some problems.  He heard the whispers from Pittsburgh, upon being hired in Buffalo, that it the Steelers picked their coach over their GM...he wasn't going to be caught in that situation again.  He hired guys who were not going to overshadow him...he wanted to hear Madden & Michaels kill time during those inevitable Monday (now Sunday) night blow-outs, declaring that he (TD) was a football genious...it just didn't work out that way for TD. 

I think next time around, he will be wise enough to pick a better headcoach... a guy who can coach the guys that he drafts...I gotta say, Dick Jauron/Steve Fairchild have already gotton more out of some of the players on this squad, than I ever thought possible.  A humbled TD will help some poor team...I'd still take him over Matt Millen and a number of other NFL GMs....

795925[/snapback]

Bingp.

I think it is exactly the case that one of the main probs was that ome of the central TD motivations seemed to be making sure he never got fired and run out of town again by a guy he hired.

Hence he,

1. Hired an HC who would have made a much better Admin Asst. to the GM with his lists and contacts than an HC given his lack of O skills and seeming insecurity or foolishness which led him to hire a staff without a lot of experience.

2. Set-up several tools to compensate for GW failings, but never pull the trigger to frce these men into place over incompetent guys hired by GW.

3. Showed a willingness to let GW win battles he should have overrode him on (the choice to hire the wounded former HC and thus no threat to GW Killdrive over TC who was TDs candidate).

4. Slapped GW back if he strayed into GM areas such as GW's comments that Centers would remain a Bill as long as he wanted which was quickly followed by the Centers cut and Dash signing.

I think GW actually had some good ideas and contacts, but most all he seemed to want to make sure he was not blamed for losing rather than taking risks that he might get Cowhered again to try to win.

Bingp.

I think it is exactly the case that one of the main probs was that ome of the central TD motivations seemed to be ...

795958[/snapback]

I also think TD is a pretty smart guy but Pyrite, you're working too hard. The man had to do things on the cheap in Wilsonworld and just wasn't up to the task. He also had to sell tickets which necessitated that awful monkey dance appealing to the WORST IN US. Firing Williams, the bold and wacky draft day moves, the splashy Milloy signing -- all to keep us filling the Ralph. He was remarkably successful in selling hope and in the Ralph filling, given his record.

Better luck next stop, TD.

Bingp.

I think it is exactly the case that one of the main probs was that ome of the central TD motivations seemed to be making sure he never got fired and run out of town again by a guy he hired.

Hence he,

1. Hired an HC who would have made a much better Admin Asst. to the GM with his lists and contacts than an HC given his lack of O skills and seeming insecurity or foolishness which led him to hire a staff without a lot of experience.

2. Set-up several tools to compensate for GW failings, but never pull the trigger to frce these men into place over incompetent guys hired by GW.

3. Showed a willingness to let GW win battles he should have overrode him on (the choice to hire the wounded former HC and thus no threat to GW Killdrive over TC who was TDs candidate).

4. Slapped GW back if he strayed into GM areas such as GW's comments that Centers would remain a Bill as long as he wanted which was quickly followed by the Centers cut and Dash signing.

I think GW actually had some good ideas and contacts, but most all he seemed to want to make sure he was not blamed for losing rather than taking risks that he might get Cowhered again to try to win.

795958[/snapback]

All good points!!

It will be interesting to see where and when Donahoe resurfaces.( think of lenny P. and Morts chatter then) :w00t:

Where will he get the power and control over a franchise that he was entrusted with here by Wilson? He was given the keys to a 750 million dollar car and he had a difficult time getting it out of the driveway.

One of the things that irritated me after Donahoe left is the" leaks" to Mort and Lenny P. etc. that Wilson would call him daily checking in on the happenings at One Bills Drive and this was considered meddling.

Tough Sh*t!!

Think about the nest egg or assets you have...if you had one worth 750 million would it be wrong to try and keep a close eye on it?

Most other teams have numerous owners-with many,many more people to answer too and schmooze than Donahoe had too here.For example would you rather take a few calls from old man Wilson or have J.Jones or Snyder breathing down your neck in the next office everyday? What about Green Bay's public ownership situation? Or the pressure of running a team in a big city like New York where instead of one Schopp( or insert your media hack here) you deal with 1,000 of them?

He was given rare control, in a great football town with an organization at One Bills Drive(from the janitors on up) who had known what it takes to be of Championship caliber and failed to lead it to success.

What we have here is a failure of leadership.

Mort made a lazy, lazy comment. It is one thing to question Marv for not trading down, another to  question him for trading up... but to characterize our GM as not "up to snuff" ? Marv was active and picked the players that fit his vision. No other team picked five consecutive defensive players at the top of their draft.

795657[/snapback]

But if you go back to the draft, everyone including Mort was criticizing MARV LEVY for the draft....I didn't hear Mort mentioning Modrak for having a horrible draft. If Marv levy was "not up to snuff", then how come he was responsible for a "bad" draft....Mort you cannot have one sided view.

I don't know what is more disturbing:

A.  The rage that TD inspires;

B.  The verbal jihad against ESPN that the mention of Mort brings to the board; or

C.  The blind faith in an ex-coach turned GM espoused by fellow posters based upon (gasp) a .500 start.

:devil:  :lol:  :lol:

795665[/snapback]

So true. This board has many extremist and you hit it exaclty right.

A. I think that TD overall did a poor job. His record and coaching selection speak for itself. I don't buy into the Wilson "tied his hands" theory, TD ran the show. That said, TD was exciting and made some high risk/ high potential moves (Bledsoe, McGahee, Milloy, Losman). He brought some good players to town, and some bad ones.

B. That whole "everyones against us" Buffalo mentality is just crazy. I visit the city 3 times a year on average. The inferiority complex seems to be growing and that is a big part of the problem there. It is a great little town with lots to offer. Too much emphasis is placed on the success and failures of the sports teams. For every Sportscaster that bashes them there is another on their band wagon. Mort hates the Bills but loves TD ... that makes no sense. We all know that Berman is a Bills fan and he is overt about. Then there is Russert. But that kind off partisanship is is ok, right?

C. Levy - I admit guilt to the this one. I am a fan of his. He inspires me and I think he can succeed as a GM.

But if you go back to the draft, everyone including Mort was criticizing MARV LEVY for the draft....I didn't hear Mort mentioning Modrak for having a horrible draft. If Marv levy  was "not up to snuff", then how come he was responsible for a "bad" draft....Mort you cannot have one sided view.

795987[/snapback]

Maybe he didn't know who controlled the draft until he, um, asked someone while he was doing his job. Just sayin'.

I have very much warmed up to Marv and Jauron and especially his two coordinators. This should be a fun team for a lot of years if they can get it together. TD also failed miserably in bringing in winners, even though the guys were often talented. At least they weren't able to bring it together and win as a team. Hopefully, the character we heard about, will work. It already seems to be but we're a long way away.

I don't know what is more disturbing:

A.  The rage that TD inspires;

B.  The verbal jihad against ESPN that the mention of Mort brings to the board; or

C.  The blind faith in an ex-coach turned GM espoused by fellow posters based upon (gasp) a .500 start.

:D  :D  :D

795665[/snapback]

a. td tried, and he failed. he may be despised by some, he may have disappointed others, but the bottom line for many is he didn't lead the bills back to respectability. this really is a rather low benchmark.

b. jihad? tacky.

c. i've actually been surprised at the number of people who share your point of view here. there's a big difference between blind faith, and good old regular faith, and maybe hoping you can feel good about the direction your team is headed in. put another way, if the "marv as gm" thing failed miserably, the call would come for him to go. i'd grant you the animosity toward him would not be as intense as it was against td, due to marv's past successes here. i look at it this way--the man is a student of the game, he's up-to-date on the trends and schemes, he's achieved some success as an analyst, and he represents stability. his team is playing reasonably well, they've made some mistakes, made osme big plays, etc, and many fans have reason to believe it may be the start of something good. why not give the man a bit of your faith until he shows you he's not entitled to it?

So true.  This board has many extremist and you hit it exaclty right. 

A.  I think that TD overall did a poor job.  His record and coaching selection speak for itself.  I don't buy into the Wilson "tied his hands" theory,  TD ran the show.  That said, TD was exciting and made some high risk/ high potential moves (Bledsoe, McGahee, Milloy, Losman).  He brought some good players to town, and some bad ones. 

brother bob, he who comes to worship alongside the faithful at the altar of the great one---were you raised in wny, did you live there for a while, anything along those lines?  just to assure you on the context of my note here---nothing is implied or intended, it's just a question i have after reading your reasonable reply to subparagraph b. 

796069[/snapback]