Winter Question

Arkady Renko

Can anyone compare the winters in Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse to those in Ithaca and Albany? If you can do some but not all, that's great too. I am interested in the character of the winter, how good the snow removal is, how easy it is to get around in the winter months, etc.

Golden Snowball Award

Personally, I'm used to driving in the winter having lived here all my life, so I can't say how long it might take someone to adjust. One suggestion, and I do this every year, is after the first snowfall, find a nice big empty parking lot and just practice doing slides, doughnuts, etc, to see how your vehicle reacts in different situations on snow.

Golden Snowball Award

this every year, is after the first snowfall, find a nice big empty parking lot and just practice doing slides, doughnuts, etc, to see how your vehicle reacts in different situations on snow.

790773[/snapback]

You only do that to remind you of your younger days! It's always fun too isn't it? :D

From Buffalo to Rochester there is a bit of a difference, when i lived in depew outside of buffalo, we got our snow and whatnot mostly from lake effect or whatever systems. Out here, in brockport outside of rochester, we catch the tail end of the lake effect bands, and get a lot more ice. I actually encountered an ice storm so bad that it took over an hour to get all of the 3/4" ice of my windshield. That is the main difference between rachacha and buffalo, sorry i really can't help you w/ cuse, albany or ithaca

From Buffalo to Rochester there is a bit of a difference, when i lived in depew outside of buffalo, we got our snow and whatnot mostly from lake effect or whatever systems. Out here, in brockport outside of rochester, we catch the tail end of the lake effect bands, and get a lot more ice. I actually encountered an ice storm so bad that it took over an hour to get all of the 3/4" ice of my windshield. That is the main difference between rachacha and buffalo, sorry i really can't help you w/ cuse, albany or ithaca

790897[/snapback]

So you find Rochester's worst than Buffalo?

I can corroborate the ice situation as it gets closer to Rochester. Don't know where that kind of cut-off line is.

Relatives ~50 miles east of the city get bad ice storms every year. One time the power was out for about 2 weeks.

790955[/snapback]

yeah you are right, watertown gets rocked every year. That area is known for flooding if there is a quick thaw in the spring too.

I lived in Watertown for 18 years and it is winter hell - BUT, it is not as bad as Pulaski (in between Syracuse and Watertown). Pulaski is in the middle of the Lake Ontario snow belt and makes the south towns of Buffalo look like Florida.

I lived in Watertown for 18 years and it is winter hell - BUT, it is not as bad as Pulaski (in between Syracuse and Watertown). Pulaski is in the middle of the Lake Ontario snow belt and makes the south towns of Buffalo look like Florida.

791918[/snapback]

I grew up in Pulaski, and while there can be bad, the Tug Hill Plateau is a winter wonderland.