2nd and 10 at the Bills 38 with 1:10 left Sunday

I still can't figure out why McGahee tried so hard to catch that -3 yard pass when he had no chance of turning it into a gain and it also cost us our last timeout.

Then, on 3rd down and 13, Losman finds Parrish for a 10 yard gain. So now we're 4th and 3 when in reality, if McGahee just knocked that negative pass play down to the ground.............we could have just made a first down AND then use our final time out. We could have still pulled out that game with 1:00 left on the clock and a first down at our own 45. I know alot of wishful thinking but it was definitely possible. What do you think?

I still can't figure out why McGahee tried so hard to catch that -3 yard pass when he had no chance of turning it into a gain and it also cost us our last timeout. 

Then, on 3rd down and 13, Losman finds Parrish for a 10 yard gain.  So now we're 4th and 3 when in reality, if McGahee just knocked that negative pass play down to the ground.............we could have just made a first down AND then use our final time out.  We could have still pulled out that game with 1:00 left on the clock and a first down at our own 45.  I know alot of wishful thinking but it was definitely possible.  What do you think?

789297[/snapback]

Because if you don't catch it who the hell knows what happens to it. Could have been intercepted. Blame Losman for back to back bad throws.

If your able to grab a football well enough to haul that kind of pass in to your body for a complete catch, your able to knock the ball down to the turf ..............no ifs ands or buts. I've seen that play from time to time over the years (including during a Bills game) and players are usually well aware of the down, distance and time. They are taught to knock the ball down to stop the clock, avoid the negative play, and avoid the other team from intercepting.

We should have still had more plays and 1:00 left on the clock, regardless of your views on some of the poor play calling or throws. Losman made some strong thows too considering the conditions he was dealing with.

Oh well, it was definitely a learning experience all the way around and the Bills are definitely on the way up. I'l take Jauron and his coaching staff any day over Mularkey and Williams. At least we are competitive every game with a chance to win in the end.

BILLS OVER VIKINGS 20-17 ON A LAST MINUTE FIELD GOAL.

He did all he could to reach it.  He was totally extended and airborne.  Not conducive to knocking the ball down.

789305[/snapback]

If your able to grab a football well enough to haul that kind of pass in to your body for a complete catch, your able to knock the ball down to the turf ..............no ifs ands or buts.  I've seen that play from time to time over the years (including during a Bills game) and players are usually well aware of the down, distance and time.  They are taught to knock the ball down to stop the clock, avoid the negative play, and avoid the other team from intercepting. 

We should have still had more plays and 1:00 left on the clock, regardless of some of the poor play calling or throws.  Losman made some strong thows too considering the conditions he was dealing with.

789322[/snapback]

And if somehow a Jets defender comes up with the ball you're talking about how stupid it was to not catch the ball. Blame Losman. He's the one that threw it like he had Andre the Giant in the backfield. I'm not getting down on J.P., but I'm sure even he'd admit they were two terrible throws.

We'll never know what Willis would have gained on either throw if Losman hadn't overthrown him ridiculously bad.

Actually if you watch the first down play again you'll notice that Losman's throw wasn't all that bad, but that Willis really misplayed it. The second throw was very bad and was in fact so bad that I'm still not 100% convinced that JP wasn't trying to throw it away (but still near a receiver) and that Willis just made an unreal snag. But on the first throw, if Willis does a better job fielding the ball the Bills convert on the all-important first play of the 2minute drill and are suddenly sitting around midfield with a first down and over a minute to play.

Cya

Actually if you watch the first down play again you'll notice that Losman's throw wasn't all that bad, but that Willis really misplayed it. The second throw was very bad and was in fact so bad that I'm still not 100% convinced that JP wasn't trying to throw it away (but still near a receiver) and that Willis just made an unreal snag. But on the first throw, if Willis does a better job fielding the ball the Bills convert on the all-important first play of the 2minute drill and are suddenly sitting around midfield with a first down and over a minute to play.

Cya

789720[/snapback]

interesting thought on losman trying to dump it off yet avoid the intentional grounding. i really can"t believe the way the rain started coming down. i thought the first throw was bad, but maybe i'll take another look at it.

what i wonder is--now that the two minute drill failed this past week, are we that much closer to the next time and having it beak our way? the bills let the game get away from them, but from the other side of the coin, they had a chance to tie a game with struggles in the red zone.

i thought the first throw was bad, but maybe i'll take another look at it.

Willis jumped way early and was actually just landing right as the pass got to him. If he'd have held his water and been on the balls of his feet when the pass was coming in he probably would have fielded it cleanly and got to around the 50 until he ran into any bad guys. The first play of a 2minute drill is huge and if hte the Bills had got one from McGahee there, it might have jumpstarted a drive that would likely have gone very differently.

I'd also be a little hesitant to say the 2minute drill faield them on Sunday. They actually went .500 with it as Losman put together an 80yrd drive in under 2:00 before the onside kick. I think we knew coming in that this type of team was going to need to win games late if it wanted to compete, and thats a tall order for team with new personell and staff that's being run by a green player at QB. But taking into account all factors (inexperience, sudden weather, new personell trying to synthesize), I wasn't too unhappy with what I saw in the last few minutes of the game.

Cya

I agree with everything you said Simon, nice post.

Considering the weather conditions, lack of experience, etc....

Losman did make some nice strides on Sunday. I really think its only a matter of time before the entire offense starts putting it all together and things really begin to click. Its alot better then seeing Bledsoe get dumped with the game on the line against a top defensive team over and over and over again. :doh:

Willis jumped way early and was actually just landing right as the pass got to him. If he'd have held his water and been on the balls of his feet when the pass was coming in he probably would have fielded it cleanly and got to around the 50 until he ran into any bad guys. The first play of a 2minute drill is huge and if hte the Bills had got one from McGahee there, it might have jumpstarted a drive that would likely have gone very differently.

I'd also be a little hesitant to say the 2minute drill faield them on Sunday. They actually went .500 with it as Losman put together an 80yrd drive in under 2:00 before the onside kick. I think we knew coming in that this type of team was going to need to win games late if it wanted to compete, and thats a tall order for team with new personell and staff that's being run by a green player at QB. But taking into account all factors (inexperience, sudden weather, new personell trying to synthesize), I wasn't too unhappy with what I saw in the last few minutes of the game.

Cya

789735[/snapback]

Then, on 3rd down and 13, Losman finds Parrish for a 10 yard gain.  So now we're 4th and 3 when in reality, if McGahee just knocked that negative pass play down to the ground.............we could have just made a first down AND then use our final time out.  We could have still pulled out that game with 1:00 left on the clock and a first down at our own 45.  I know alot of wishful thinking but it was definitely possible.  What do you think?

789297[/snapback]

Yes, your right he should have deliberately not tried to catch it {sacasm intended} :doh:

If it was 3rd and 10, rather than 3rd and 13, the defense would not have given the receiver a 10 yead cushion, so you don't know.

I was there ... The winds were very high and the rain was coming down hard. The Jets were in a prevent and all Losman could find were guys behind the line of scrimmage. The entire offense did not have it together at that point in the game. Maybe someday soon the offense will pull one out.

Losman did make some nice strides on Sunday. I really think its only a matter of time before the entire offense starts putting it all together and things really begin to click.

Yeah there's some good things we're seeing.

The OLine seems to be playing well as a unit, although I'd like to see some well-executed screens to get a better idea of what they're capable of. They also still need more help in protection at times, particularly when the Bills are looking to get the ball downfield. Maybe activating ShaudWilliams who seems to be our only real willing blocker or moving an H-back/TE around to trouble spots more often. It's also probably worth noting that they've been playing some quality DL thus far(Seymour,Wilfork,TWarren,Traylor,KCarter,Holliday,DRobertson,Kimo)

I like the leap JP has taken too. His decisions seem sound, he's taking better care of the ball, he looks more agressive with his tools(he made a couple obscene throws in that wind Sunday). I still have questions about his fundamentals at times (footwork that cost them a TD on the bootleg, some ball handling issues and coming over the top with some unavoidably inaccurate throws) but again its worth noting that he's played 2 divisional road games and just 1home game in a hurricane yet he's done a very credible job.

Once we get by Chicago next week(hopefully intact) the schedule lightens up a bit 'til Thanksgiving and we could see them make some real strides in that stretch.

Cya