Is the NFL rigged?

Catholic Guilt

Do you every think about that? Steelers were the feel good story last year, with the retirement of Bettis. They get to the Superbowl and win on some very questionable calls. Remember Alexander getting dragged down by a horsecollar from Porter? A big non call. It was called against the Jets yesterday during a Peerless Price tackle. Then Houston has the number one pick in the draft last year and they take a Defensive End from NC State. Now I live in Carolina and never heard of the kid until draft day. They pass on one of the greatest talents coming into the NFL. The GM who passes on Reggie Bush suddenly retires from Houston to help the NFL in NY. The Saints are a nice story with Katarina. And he slides right to New Orleans.

Is there a real cigarette smoking man? Do you think the NFL has some WWE elements? Do you ever wonder with all the money involved something sneaky is lurking behind the curtain?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a real cigarette smoking man? Do you think the NFL has some WWE elements? Do you ever wonder with all the money involved something sneaky is lurking behind the curtain?

786679[/snapback]

Is this a real question ..........you forgot to mention the 9-11 Patriots and all the favorable calls they rec'd along the way to that superbowl win... Rigged ..you betcha!!

They're taking a page out of the NBA playbook.

NBA in early 80s = dormant league. Then over the next several years, four amazing talents come out of college and go to:

Bird - Boston

Magic - LA

Ewing - NY

Jordon - Chicago

NBA becomes enormously successful league.

Really? What draft board are you talking about??

I hate to be the one doing all the work in this conversation, but a google search of "2006 mock draft" led me to this page:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2006_mockdrafts.cfm

To save you the trouble of reading the link, it shows the top 4 of a bunch of different mock drafts. Williams is in the top 4 in virtually all of them. Anyone following the draft in even a cursory fashion had heard of him.

The thought crossed my mind briefly with the game tonight in NO. Feel good story of football back in the Big Easy. First series of the game Vick gets sacked and fumbles the ball but the NO player knocks it out of bounds as he attempts to pick it up. Since NO couldn't execute the fumble return for a TD plan they have to move to plan B. Plan B being, of course, a blocked punt on the next play when a Saint comes right up the middle unblocked. TD Saints and the fans (and Nation) go wild!

No, I don't really believe it, but it did cross my mind for a moment.

Do you every think about that? Steelers were the feel good story last year, with the retirement of Bettis. They get to the Superbowl and win on some very questionable calls. Remember Alexander getting dragged down by a horsecollar from Porter? A big non call.  It was called against the Jets yesterday during a Peerless Price tackle. Then Houston has the number one pick in the draft last year and they take a Defensive End from NC State. Now I live in Carolina and never heard of the kid until draft day. They pass on one of the greatest talents coming into the NFL. The GM who passes on Reggie Bush suddenly retires from Houston to help the NFL in NY. The Saints are a nice story with Katarina. And he slides right to New Orleans.

786679[/snapback]

Well it is possible. The Italian Serie A league was found out to be rigged. (Well fixed through bribing and what), but I don't know if that sh-- would pass in the US.

Do you every think about that? Steelers were the feel good story last year, with the retirement of Bettis. They get to the Superbowl and win on some very questionable calls. Remember Alexander getting dragged down by a horsecollar from Porter? A big non call.  It was called against the Jets yesterday during a Peerless Price tackle. Then Houston has the number one pick in the draft last year and they take a Defensive End from NC State. Now I live in Carolina and never heard of the kid until draft day. They pass on one of the greatest talents coming into the NFL. The GM who passes on Reggie Bush suddenly retires from Houston to help the NFL in NY. The Saints are a nice story with Katarina. And he slides right to New Orleans.

786679[/snapback]

Honestly? Yes I've thought about it. But, let's face it-Atlanta sucks and there was probably so much energy in that place tonight and everyone always says that football is a game of passion. Atlanta ($hitty football team) lost to a team with a steadfast QB (Drew Brees) and "one of the best rising football talents ('Duh). More importantly, though, Atlanta lost to a city celebrating a symbolic (note *symbolic) triumph over an American tragedy.

As for the 9-11 NE Super Bowl, I'm still a bit suspiciouos about that (although not as suspicious as I might have been had the Yankees won the series that year) and I believe Tom Brady is a roid popping spy for North Korea.

I'm a Billiever...

The best theory out there is the 1969 Super Bowl with the gaurantee of Joe Namath. The 19 and 1/2 point favorite Colts coached by non-other than the "legendary" Don Shula sleep walk throughout the game and lose 16-7! Bubba Smith, a DE for the Baltimore Colts swears to this day that that game was a setup....the AFL and NFL merger was just around the corner, however, the prevailing attitude Nationally was that the AFL was vastly inferior! Watch the play of Earl Morral the QB for the Colts. He has a designed play to hit Jimmy Orr on a Flea-flicker and he (Orr) is WIDE OPEN in the end zone, well good old Earl "checks off" and throws an interception in the middle of the field! This play was designed and had worked in the season against the Cardinals, yet, Earl throws the INT?! Questionable at BEST!!! Oh, and the residuals.... Don Shula gets a cushy gig coaching down in Miami, Florida and ( cough, cough) becomes the winningest head coach of ALL -TIME and wins TWO Super Bowls in the process! Included in that scenario a PERFECT SEASON! HUH? Looks pretty "fishy" to me!

what exactaly does it make you wonder? That Michael Vick cant win in this league if you force him to beat you by sitting in the pocket and having to pass? That the option offense doesn't work if the nfl if you contain lanes and stay at home instead of over comitting basically taking away the rollout option? The Saints put on a clinc and ATL can basically expect more of the same the rest of the season teams comitting 8-9 in the box until vick proves he can beat teams by being a passing threat, why anyone would respect him as one is beyond me. Id look for teams to continue to defense vick the same way. Make them substain drives and have to pass to win.

It could not have been scripted any better.

this was the first sentense of the main story, right on the frontpage of cnn.com.

http://www.cnn.com

This one couldn't have been scripted any better for a team that spent all of last season on the road, and it couldn't have come at a better time for a city that is still struggling to overcome the devastation of Katrina.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/25/saints.return.ap/index.html

that's from the full story...