UB Football

Sanners

Turner Gill is coaching to not get embarassed.  He does not expect to win.  I think Auburn will turn up the jets and finish them off.  I thought we had a good chance to WIN....

783681[/snapback]

OF COURSE UB does not expect to win this game; to suggest that Gill is trying to "avoid embarrassment" is ridiculous. It is absolutely remarkable that with 13 minutes to go in the game, UB is only down 24-7. Remarkable.

OF COURSE UB does not expect to win this game; to suggest that Gill is trying to "avoid embarrassment" is ridiculous.  It is absolutely remarkable that with 13 minutes to go in the game, UB is only down 24-7.  Remarkable.

783683[/snapback]

Thank you.

OF COURSE UB does not expect to win this game; to suggest that Gill is trying to "avoid embarrassment" is ridiculous.  It is absolutely remarkable that with 13 minutes to go in the game, UB is only down 24-7.  Remarkable.

783683[/snapback]

Are you joking me? You think you go into a game thinking you cannot win? That is silly...of course UB expected to win. Turner Gill is going to be a great coach, but today he let his players down by not playing the game to win. He played clock control and Auburn played along by running the ball. When UB did not try to win (i.e. pass on passing downs), Auburn opened up their game plan, and blew out the Bulls.

38-7 with 3 mins to go. Hey, we covered the spread! What was it? 42? 49? All in all, UB has nothing to hang their heads over. They hung with a national powerhouse for 40 minutes. Last year's UB team would have fainted before stepping on the field.

PTR

38-7 with 3 mins to go.  Hey, we covered the spread!  What was it?  42? 49?  All in all, UB has nothing to hang their heads over.  They hung with a national powerhouse for 40 minutes.  Last year's UB team would have fainted before stepping on the field.

PTR

783698[/snapback]

It is just frustrating to me that they kept running the ball when they should have passed....why was Paoli in the game?

It seems that Wiley had a decent game, but it also looks like he was flushed out a lot for losses (plus some sacks as well). The running game was fairly productive.

I'm proud of the team...jeez, it was 10-0 at the half and then 17-7 midway through the 3rd. The finally ended up wearing the Bulls down and got those two late long TD runs.

Are you joking me?  You think you go into a game thinking you cannot win?  That is silly...of course UB expected to win.  Turner Gill is  going to be a great coach, but today he let his players down by not playing the game to win.  He played clock control and Auburn played along by running the ball.  When UB did not try to win (i.e. pass on passing downs), Auburn opened up their game plan, and blew out the Bulls.

783697[/snapback]

No, I'm not "joking you." College football is a world of "haves" and "have nots." It's not like the NFL, where on any given Sunday an underdog can catch a break and pull the upset.

UB scheduled this game to increase exposure for the program and to make money. I guarantee you there is not one coach on the UB staff who "expected" to win.

You're a little bit naive, Steve. It's great that you're a passionate fan, but I'm pretty sure the players aren't upset at Gill for the experience they just had.

No, I'm not "joking you."  College football is a world of "haves" and "have nots."  It's not like the NFL, where on any given Sunday an underdog can catch a break and pull the upset.

UB scheduled this game to increase exposure for the program and to make money.  I guarantee you there is not one coach on the UB staff who "expected" to win.

You're a little bit naive, Steve.  It's great that you're a passionate fan, but I'm pretty sure the players aren't upset at Gill for the experience they just had.

783707[/snapback]

Losing is contagious.....UB won 1 game last season. Losing is not something a coach would want for his team. If they did not think they could win, they why schedule the game? Every school has the same opportunity to recruit players. UB has just like Auburn has. I understand the idea of wanting to give the players an experience of playing at this level, but UB has to win to recruit. If they would schedule a few more Temple games, and win a few MAC games, they would have a better chance to recruit. Do you think Toledo or Akron were expected to win against Penn State a few years back? Nope, but they went to Happy Valley and won....UB has to do the same.

Losing is contagious.....UB won 1 game last season.  Losing is not something a coach would want for his team.  If they did not think they could win, they why schedule the game?  Every school has the same opportunity to recruit players.  UB has just like Auburn has.   I understand the idea of wanting to give the players an experience of playing at this level, but UB has to win to recruit.  If they would schedule a few more Temple games, and win a few MAC games, they would have a better chance to recruit.  Do you think Toledo or Akron were expected to win against Penn State a few years back?  Nope, but they went to Happy Valley and won....UB has to do the same.

783709[/snapback]

I was kind of with you after the first post, but this is just a bit out there. Do you really think that when this game was scheduled they thought they had a chance to win? There is absolutely, positively no way anyone in that organization even for one insane moment of daydreaming thought there was a chance in hell that they would be able to beat Aubrun when the schedule was made.

Now, maybe they could have played differently to "play to win", but there was no chance before, during or after this game of Buffalo winning, so I wouldn't blame the coach for calling whatever kind of game he decided would be best.

And getting on TV against a powerhouse team is good for the program (even if it's just monetary as opposed to recruiting), and holding strong and scoring a TD against a team so far out of their class was a good showing in my opinion.

I was kind of with you after the first post, but this is just a bit out there.  Do you really think that when this game was scheduled they thought they had a chance to win?  There is absolutely, positively no way anyone in that organization even for one insane moment of daydreaming thought there was a chance in hell that they would be able to beat Aubrun when the schedule was made.

Now, maybe they could have played differently to "play to win", but there was no chance before, during or after this game of Buffalo winning, so I wouldn't blame the coach for calling whatever kind of game he decided would be best.

And getting on TV against a powerhouse team is good for the program (even if it's just monetary as opposed to recruiting), and holding strong and scoring a TD against a team so far out of their class was a good showing in my opinion.

783724[/snapback]

You and I will disagree...I expect this team to win EVERY game they play. I expect them to beat Wisconsin and Boston College too. I think the coaching staff expects the same thing. This is a business, and coaches get FIRED for losing. So no coach would schedule a game with the intention of losing, since losing means a loss of their job.

Watching some of the highlight shows, this game definitely gave UB some postive exposure. Most of the comments were how the Bulls gave Auburn a tough time until the Tigers pulled away at the end.

Once again...well done Bulls, well done.

The News picked Auburn by a score of 66-3.

I told somebody today when I saw the line was 41 1/2..."Take the points. By all means, take the points."

UB didn't get killed...and I think they got some respect today. But Duey's right, they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter.

The News picked Auburn by a score of 66-3.

I told somebody today when I saw the line was 41 1/2..."Take the points.  By all means, take the points."

UB didn't get killed...and I think they got some respect today.  But Duey's right, they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter.

783790[/snapback]

That is coaching...Turner did not have the boys in shape for the game...did not rotate to keep them fresh. This is a learning lesson for Turner.

Turner Gill is coaching to not get embarassed.  He does not expect to win.  I think Auburn will turn up the jets and finish them off.  I thought we had a good chance to WIN....

783681[/snapback]

He went for it on fourth down on Auburn's 40 on the first drive of the game. Gill was trying to win the game.

He put the second stringers in at the end of the game because the game was over and this isn't the pros. I thought Gill showed a lot of class letting the backups have a taste of the big time.

Plus, no offense, but if you expect UB to win every game they play, you haven't been a Bulls fan for long.

Auburn might be the toughest opponent any MAC school faces this year. UB played just as well as any other MAC school did this year against a upper tier opponent.

As a UB Alum it is just frustrating....you know I am not disappointed in the loss today...just wish they would have tried to win...and that is just the learning lesson for Turner....UB will improve.

783831[/snapback]

Steve, as I said earlier, it's great that you're an alum and a big fan of the program. Unfortunately, your passion has blinded you to the realities of Division I college football. What you are saying just doesn't make sense. Try to enjoy the fact that UB attracted a young talent like Gill who dreams big...and stop with the nonsense of implying that he didn't want to win the game today.

It will take years for UB to develop into the sort of program that "expects" to win games against top tier D-I opponents. They're not even close yet. At least we can now say they're heading in the right direction.

He went for it on fourth down on Auburn's 40 on the first drive of the game. Gill was trying to win the game.

He put the second stringers in at the end of the game because the game was over and this isn't the pros. I thought Gill showed a lot of class letting the backups have a taste of the big time.

Plus, no offense, but if you expect UB to win every game they play, you haven't been a Bulls fan for long.

Auburn might be the toughest opponent any MAC school faces this year. UB  played just as well as any other MAC school did this year against a upper tier opponent.

783837[/snapback]

I have been a Bulls fan for over 20 years, since Div III. I expect that a school with the academic excellence of UB should be able to attract the same talent as ANY other school.

It is ironic how you see going for it on 4th down as trying to win, and I see it as playing scared and reaching for straws. The Bulls has just driven 40 yards, took 6 min off the clock, they should have punted and pinned Auburn deep in their zone.

Auburn will lose at least 2 games this season in the SEC, so I am not so sure they are even the best team in the SEC.

Regardless, look at schools like Rutgers, Miami of Ohio and even Louisville, all schools that rose from the ashes, UB should do the same!

Regardless, look at schools like Rutgers, Miami of Ohio and even Louisville, all schools that rose from the ashes, UB should do the same!

And look how long it took them? Rutgers has been a joke for 20 years - UB has only been 1A for 7 years. It takes a lot of time. That said, I have to think this will really help the recruiting for UB - having your team highlights on ESPN and playing in front of 80,000 + can only help, especially when you play tough. Not to mention the $600,000 they got which they can now use to bribe players 0:)

I have been a Bulls fan for over 20 years, since Div III.  I expect that a school with the academic excellence of UB should be able to attract the same talent as ANY other school.

783850[/snapback]

0:)

Academic excellence = attractive to big time HS talent?

HS Recruit: Coach, I like your school, but I think I wanna go somewhere with a great program and national exposure. My goal is to get into the league.

Coach: Why would you want that? Here we have smart students and hard classes. Isn't that attractive?

Steve, I don't think it works this way...

0:)

Academic excellence = attractive to big time HS talent?

HS Recruit: Coach, I like your school, but I think I wanna go somewhere with a great program and national exposure.  My goal is to get into the league.

Coach: Why would you want that?  Here we have smart students and hard classes.  Isn't that attractive?

Steve, I don't think it works this way...

783957[/snapback]

Common man, you haven't noticed the powerhouse Ivy League school's lined up in the BSC every year?

Why a player wouldn't choose to a school located in Western NY that has had one of the worst, if not the worst, 1A programs in the country is beyond me. Everyone should be knocking down the doors of the UB recruiting department to play in horrible weather, in a location not exactly known for it's night life and partying opportunities, where they would have almost no chance of getting any type of exposure to NFL teams, and don't even get to win many of their games like a team in a lower division (with all the same attributes as UB) would be able to do.

Yeah, Buffalo certainly has all of the same recruiting opportunities as a team like Auburn. :)

Yeah, Buffalo certainly has all of the same recruiting opportunities as a team like Auburn.  0:)

783967[/snapback]

There are 119 1A schools...if UB can recruit on par with teams in the middle third of this pack, it can become a very viable program.

There are 119 1A schools...if UB can recruit on par with teams in the middle third of this pack, it can become a very viable program.

783995[/snapback]

Yeah, I would agree with that. But I would guess (and this is obviously a wild guess) they are at least 4-5 years away from being able to do that. And that's only true if those 4-5 years are good years...winning games and showing lot of improvement.

They are in such a huge hole, it will take some real patience and fortitude to climb out.