The magic window is huge

Mikie2times

Most your strong teams in this league have one dominating unit, either offense or defense. The window is the amount of time until age, and FA rip apart the dominating unit, thus taking away any legitimate chance at a Super Bowl. Most Super Bowl Champions usually have that dominating unit, and need at least an above average supporting cast to go all the way. Lining up those two elements within the window has proven to be one of the most difficult things to do in football.

What I love about this team is the odds of these elements lining up within the next 5 years. We clearly have the makings of an outstanding defensive unit, a shockingly young defense unit to boot. They will play for a long time together, and should become our dominating unit. We also have some young weapons on offense, and have the next few seasons to develop and add additional talent to that side of the ball. We really have a chance at having both these things working for us with a 2-3 year window.

Most your strong teams in this league have one dominating unit, either offense or defense. The window is the amount of time until age, and FA rip apart the dominating unit, thus taking away any legitimate chance at a Super Bowl.  Most Super Bowl Champions usually have that dominating unit, and need at least an above average supporting cast to go all the way. Lining up those two elements within the window has proven to be one of the most difficult things to do in football.

What I love about this team is the odds of these elements lining up within the next 5 years. We clearly have the makings of an outstanding defensive unit, a shockingly young defense unit to boot. They will play for a long time together, and should become our dominating unit. We also have some young weapons on offense, and have the next few seasons to develop and add additional talent to that side of the ball. We really have a chance at having both these things working for us with a 2-3 year window.

781345[/snapback]

Not to mention that I doubt our special teams will digress very much over those same few years as long as April is around. We should have Parrish, McGee, and Moorman those years, and hopefully resign Lindell. We should have strong coverage units, too.

Most your strong teams in this league have one dominating unit, either offense or defense. The window is the amount of time until age, and FA rip apart the dominating unit, thus taking away any legitimate chance at a Super Bowl.  Most Super Bowl Champions usually have that dominating unit, and need at least an above average supporting cast to go all the way. Lining up those two elements within the window has proven to be one of the most difficult things to do in football.

781345[/snapback]

I'll agree with this up to a point. The Bills have the makings of a good or even very good defense for a long time to come. But there's a world of difference between very good and elite. To achieve the latter, you really do need a few stars--Bruce Smith, Bryce Paup, Ray Lewis, guys like that. The Bills' two best defenders--Spikes and Schobel--won't be in their primes forever. Also, aging players such as London Fletcher will need to be replaced at some point.

So the Bills are on their way to creating the kind of young, dominating unit you've described, but there's a lot of work left to be done. If you were to add an elite pass rusher or two to the defensive line . . . man! That would be something. Throw in a young but good offensive line, and a solid quarterback, and you'd have the makings of a team that'd be a serious threat to win the Super Bowl.

So the Bills are on their way to creating the kind of young, dominating unit you've described, but there's a lot of work left to be done.  If you were to add an elite pass rusher or two to the defensive line . . . man!  That would be something.  Throw in a young but good offensive line, and a solid quarterback, and you'd have the makings of a team that'd be a serious threat to win the Super Bowl.

781414[/snapback]

Schoebel doesn't get the respect he deserves. I think he IS A Elite DE.

I think the real key to this defense is (a) finding and grooming a replacement for Fletcher in the next year or two, and (b) making sure that the Denney/Kelsay monster and the Williams/Anderson monster develop into solid, if not spectacular players.

If we conentrate on the offensive line in the next offseason or two, I like our chances.