the Parish "touchdown"

pjd

One of the original questions still begs to be answered:

Is it simply a judgment call by the official as to who instigates the contact?  B/C it does seem that Reed is holding off charging into the DB and the DB makes the contact with Reed.

Anyone answer that?

780386[/snapback]

No it is not a judgement call. While JR may not initiate the contact, he is causing contact to the benefit of the offence, hence - the flag.

That's the part that didn't make sense to me too. Reed didn't run into the DB. To me it looked he was running a route and they ran into each other. (Again, I know it was designed, but that's what it looked like).

He didn't really throw a block, but they ran into each other.

Like I said, it really doesn't matter since the correct call was made.

That's the part that didn't make sense to me too.  Reed didn't run into the DB.  To me it looked he was running a route and they ran into each other.  (Again, I know it was designed, but that's what it looked like).

He didn't really throw a block, but they ran into each other.

Like I said, it really doesn't matter since the correct call was made.

780548[/snapback]

I didn't see the game...but it sounds like it was viewed by the refs as some sort of pick. Dunno.

I didn't see the game...but it sounds like it was viewed by the refs as some sort of pick. Dunno.

780563[/snapback]

It was very clearly a pick. The play was drawn up very well (all defenders accounted for), but while Reed slowed or stopped right before the contact, he targeted the defender and ran right at him, creating contact just before the ball was caught.

If the timing was right, it looks like this would consistently be a huge play. Roscoe is the right guy to scoot through the space that opens up on a play like this. He has a lot to prove still, but count me among those that thik he is a dangerous weapon for the Bills.

Because the pass went forwards, the WR cannot make contact with the DB downfield until the ball is caught.  My team got called on this A LOT in preseason when we ran the exact same bubble screen as the Bills ran.  The hardest thing is getting the timing right to get the ball in the hands of the WR and the other WR making the block.

780369[/snapback]

I thought the hardest part was getting the guys to use their hands. :blush:

Read the rules. You might learn something.

780308[/snapback]

So thats the answer to my question? :blush:

What I am saying is this. When a screen is thrown to a WR on the out (just as the Dolphins did to chambers when McGee made the nice tackle) ... the Dolphins WR's were engaged in their blocks well before Chambers caughtnthe ball. So why if your theory is correct wasnt there PI on every Dolphin receiver on that play?

That rule, no PI behind the LOS, is why defensive lineman can haul down a RB who is trying to slide into position for a screen.

They can give him a chuck but they can't grab him and haul him down. Screens are designed to fool DLinemen os the instances of a DLinemen actually recognizing it in time and then actively seeking out contact on the RB are exceedingly rare.

Schobel did it once vs miamuh (on the 2nd Culpepper fumble) but he actually grabbed Brown by the jersey and it should have been a penalty.

Cya