Re: Matt Bowen and 3 safeties playing at same time

I just read this on Chris Brown's blog:

Some examples of how the staff has used the strengths of their personnel to their advantage. Coy Wire was used this past week on defense whenever the Dolphins went to a two tight end alignment. They took Terrence McGee off the field since there was only one wideout and made Wire a third safety with Whitner and Simpson.

Since a lot of teams run out of that 'Ace' formation Buffalo's defense is stronger against the run with Wire in there. He's the team's biggest and strongest safety and his greatest strength is his run stopping ability. That's using a player's strengths to the team's advantage.

Here's hoping Bowen comes back soon. Again I like Wire...on ST's.

If stopping the run is his greatest strength, I'd hate to know his biggest weakness.  Anyone?

779915[/snapback]

Obviously stopping the pass. :)

On a running play, after he whiffs on the tackle there will typically be someone else there to help out (about 20 yards downfield). :P

When he whiffs on a pass, it's a Touchdown for the bad guys. <_<

After Bowen comes back, I don't mind Coy staying on the team because he IS a good STer. Even before Bowen comes back, I am not happy with Coy playing safety. Heck, even Meathead was smart enough to exploit his being on the field on a play or two. :lol:

Exactly, which is why the sooner Bowen (and Spikes!) comes back, the better the defense will be. I was just posting this because I recall a discussion in one of the threads that I couldn't (read: didn't want to spend the time) locate where people were saying that if Bowen were healthy it wouldn't make a difference since the Bills wouldn't have 3 safeties on the field at the same time and that if he played, he'd be playing in place of Whitner.

Well according to your quote at the top of the thread, it sounds like in two TE sets they would still use Wire because

"He's the team's biggest and strongest safety and his greatest strength is his run stopping ability. That's using a player's strengths to the team's advantage."

From the sounds of that Bowen's injury would not have an impact on this type of situation. It'd be Whitner and Wire in 2 TE sets.

Well according to your quote at the top of the thread, it sounds like in two TE sets they would still use Wire because

"He's the team's biggest and strongest safety and his greatest strength is his run stopping ability. That's using a player's strengths to the team's advantage."

From the sounds of that Bowen's injury would not have an impact on this type of situation.  It'd be Whitner and Wire in 2 TE sets.

780422[/snapback]

Matt Bowen: 6-1, 203

Coy Wire: 6-0, 205

Virtually a wash, but since Bowen is hurt, Coy is the biggest DB remaining, and since his greatest strength is stopping the run, they put him in on running plays. The quote says since stopping the run in "HIS" best attribute they only put him in on running plays. It doesn't say his run stopping ability is better than Bowens.

If stopping the run is his greatest strength, I'd hate to know his biggest weakness.  Anyone?

779915[/snapback]

"Buffalo's defense is stronger against the run with Wire in there."

Assuming the opposition player runs right into CW and trips over him...Lord help us if he jukes 2-feet to the right or left of Coy.

"Buffalo's defense is stronger against the run with Wire in there."

Assuming the opposition player runs right into CW and trips over him...Lord help us if he jukes 2-feet to the right or left of Coy.

780506[/snapback]

I'm not very good at breaking down individual player performance, but when Mularkey pulled his end-around double-reverse schitt, I saw Wire had the guy dead to rights for a seven yard loss and whiffed so badly I thought they'd send him home immediately after that play.

I'm not very good at breaking down individual player performance, but when Mularkey pulled his end-around double-reverse schitt, I saw Wire had the guy dead to rights for a seven yard loss and whiffed so badly I thought they'd send him home immediately after that play.

780511[/snapback]

He's a heat seaking missile, baby....

I just read this on Chris Brown's blog:

Here's hoping Bowen comes back soon.  Again I like Wire...on ST's.

779907[/snapback]

I think the bigger point Brown was making was how open the Bills coaching staff have been so far in making adjustments, which is truly a breath of fresh air after last season. Gray only had one adjustment in his bag, 'blitz more guys', and Mularkey thinks an adjustment is running an end-around.

Since a lot of teams run out of that 'Ace' formation Buffalo's defense is stronger against the run with Wire in there. He's the team's biggest and strongest safety and his greatest strength is his run stopping ability. That's using a player's strengths to the team's advantage.

They used Kiwaukee Thomas as their slot corner in the nickel package this week. Since they liked the matchup of McGee outside on Chris Chambers better than Greer, who would've been outside in nickel situations on Chambers with McGee in the slot had he been part of the nickel package, they put their next best slot corner after McGee (Thomas) on the slot and left McGee outside. Chambers had four catches in the game.

On offense with Evans getting double teamed so much, Steve Fairchild got Roscoe Parrish on the field more often to work the underneath zones, knowing he could get consistent separation from just about anybody. Parrish got the most playing time he's seen on offense to date last week and helped. Heck he would've had a touchdown if not for a penalty.

To see these adjustments from the coaching staff is a very encouraging sign to me. They not only make adjustments with their schemes, they also make them with their personnel. Too many coordinators in this league are too pigheaded to alter their approach or philosophy. Seeing how open minded and creative Fairchild and Fewell have been is a breath of fresh air.

Much like people are realizing what a strong draft class Buffalo has assembled, they'll also soon realize what a strong staff Jauron has assembled as well.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

I think the bigger point Brown was making was how open the Bills coaching staff have been so far in making adjustments, which is truly a breath of fresh air after last season. Gray only had one adjustment in his bag, 'blitz more guys', and Mularkey thinks an adjustment is running an end-around.

I know. My point was to take the comment about Wire from CB's blog talking about the coaches playing to the players' strengths and revisit a discussion from earlier where someone said that when Bowen comes back, he'll be little more than depth since the Bills wouldn't bench Whitner in favor of him.