What is the meaning of "snap"?

stuckincincy

I have read and have heard a new term - "snap". What does it mean, and in what context is it used?

My wife and me want to be on contemporary terms with younger folks.

Such works both ways; a young intern where my wife works recently overheard the expression "I guess we will have to eat crow", and the young lady mouth agape said "we have to eat a bird?". <_<

I have read and have heard a new term - "snap".  What does it mean, and in what context is it used?

Such works both ways; a young intern where my wife works recently overheard the expression "I guess we will have to eat crow", and the young lady mouth agape said "we have to eat a bird?".  <_<

779681[/snapback]

When I was younger, I used it as my folks wouldn't allow us to curse. Since I don't now, I still use it...though it is annoying the number of knuckleheads using it now.

From the Urban Dictionary, a few definitions and how to use it properly:

A word that is used after a putdown/insult.

Dude 1:"Look at those giant boobs."

Dude 2:"They're not as big as yours, OH SNAP!"

OR

a phrase used to signify an unexpected and surprising event. "Snap" is considered the new "Wow". Also can be used with "Oh" such as "Oh, Snap"

Oh, Snap! That dude just got ran over by a ice cream truck!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=snap

Here are the 3 definitions from UrbanDictionary.com that I think are most right-on. (And I am so hip, man.)

3. snap  218 up, 35 down 

expression: used to describe 1. dismay 2. disbeleif 3. surprise 4. joy

substitutes: fuXX shiX fuXX

1. Oh snap, I used too much dynomite.

2. Oh snap! It's Speedy Gonzolez!

3. Holy snap! I have boobies!

4. Snap! She took off her shirt!

by Mike Nov 26, 2003 email it

4. snap  104 up, 26 down 

A word used to express a feeling of excitement generated during an unexpected or impressive event. The meaning of the word depends on its context and can range from disappointment to extreme satisfaction. The versatility of this work enables it to be used several times in a single conversation.

1. "Oh, snap the hoods on fire"

2. "Check out the jelly shake'n on her as she drops it to the floor...snap!"

3. "I was like 'snap' when I saw them rolling this waY"

by John Feb 2, 2004 email it

9. Snap  14 up, 3 down 

a phrase used to signify an unexpected and surprising event. "Snap" is considered the new "Wow". Also can be used with "Oh" such as "Oh, Snap"

Oh, Snap! That dude just got ran over by a ice cream truck!

"oh Snap, daunte culpepper sucks."

"the bills will suprise people this year.  [shows tivo replay of game to unsuspecting friend] oh snap!  nobody circles the wagons like the buffalo bills!"

779700[/snapback]

"Man, if that line keeps letting in sacks, Daunte's going to "get his roll on" in a wheelchair...SNAP!" (add optional actual finger snap liberally)

I have read and have heard a new term - "snap".  What does it mean, and in what context is it used?

Such works both ways; a young intern where my wife works recently overheard the expression "I guess we will have to eat crow", and the young lady mouth agape said "we have to eat a bird?".  :P

779681[/snapback]

watch the movie zoolander for excellent examples of its usage. <_<

Thanks to all!

It's interesting how words' meanings change. When I was a young lad, my Great Uncle gave me a stern lecture to never utter the word "jerk". In his day - the 10's, 20's 30's and so forth, it meant masturbation. Hence today's "jerk-off".

"Soda Jerk" was a fellow who pulled a lever in a soda shop and things flowed. Prior, it was as we know it now most commonly - a tug.

A term in the Wild West days to describe a hanging was "He was jerked to Jesus". <_<

Oh snap=oh schitt

779696[/snapback]

That's what I thought. It was the term used in Biz Markie's hit single from the early 90s, "Just a Friend".

He's going to see his girlfriend at school, and he uses that term in reaction to opening the door and seeing her kiss another man...I believe the line is, "Oh, snap, guess what I saw."

That's what I thought.  It was the term used in Biz Markie's hit single from the early 90s, "Just a Friend".

He's going to see his girlfriend at school, and he uses that term in reaction to opening the door and seeing her kiss another man...I believe the line is, "Oh, snap, guess what I saw."

779748[/snapback]

''

From Dodgeball (A True Underdog Movie), when one of the Average Joe guys realizes that the Marica Brady lookalike is, indeed a lesbian:

"Ah, SNAP!" He looked like this yellow-headed guy as he said it: <_<

Turns out she was actually bisexual, but let's not split hairs...

''

From Dodgeball (A True Underdog Movie), when one of the Average Joe guys realizes that the Marica Brady lookalike is, indeed a lesbian:

"Ah, SNAP!"  He looked like this yellow-headed guy as he said it: <_<

Turns out she was actually bisexual, but let's not split hairs...

779805[/snapback]

Actually, she played Marcia Brady in a very brady sequel

Linky Scroll down to #31 to see a Very Brady Sequel

And She is married to ben stiller, hence her acting in a lot of Stiller's movies (zoolander, dodgeball, and a future Stiller project)

Such works both ways; a young intern where my wife works recently overheard the expression "I guess we will have to eat crow", and the young lady mouth agape said "we have to eat a bird?".  <_<

779681[/snapback]

Take Your Pick

66 choices to choose from.