(OT) Do you starve a cold or a fever?

OnTheRocks

Sorry fella's...it is a bit early in the week for an OT Post.

I am a bit delerious.

I feel like Elvis because..."my temprature's risin'...."

Anyone know the correct way to handle a fever?

Do you feed or starve a fever?

Or do you feed or starve a cold?

:)

Sorry to disagree, but I was raised to feed a cold, starve a fever.

Reason? If you're running a high temperature (fever), eating may make you nauseous. You need to take in lots of fluid and keep your skin cool. Once the fever has broken and you are left with the "cold", then you should start eating, especially imunity building foods like fresh fruits and vegetables.

Sorry to disagree, but I was raised to feed a cold, starve a fever.

Reason?  If you're running a high temperature (fever), eating may make you nauseous. You need to take in lots of fluid and keep your skin cool. Once the fever has broken and you are left with the "cold", then you should start eating, especially imunity building foods like fresh fruits and vegetables.

56098[/snapback]

HEY, WHO ASKED YOU GIDGET!!!! I happen to have a Ph.D in Patriot Fan bashing, so I'm fairly certain I know just a LITTLE bit more about how to treat a sick person than you do.

(I swear to God I am only kidding. :) After reading the board the past 24 hours, it seems like anyone can bash anyone for anything. Thanks for correcting me.)

first of all, either way is an old wives tale, and i cannot believe there have been this many responses actually feeding into it.

If you are very sick (naseaus) and you cant stomach anything, eat some dry toast, etc.

If you are running a moderate fever and feel like downing a bucket of wings, good - at least your stomach isnt upset - go for it!

Neither one (pigging out, or not eating) is going to make the fever go away faster.

first of all, either way is an old wives tale, and i cannot believe there have been this many responses actually feeding into it.

56163[/snapback]

Yeah...unbelievable that people would waste their time discussing home remedies for colds that only backwoods morons would believe, and not Thursday's prime-time "reality TV" lineup...

Yeah...unbelievable that people would waste their time discussing home remedies for colds that only backwoods morons would believe, and not Thursday's prime-time "reality TV" lineup...

56170[/snapback]

Wow - thanks for proving the point.

Even me, someone who doesnt spend their free time how DC Tom would, knows that that this is a rediculous argument.

If you are hungry, eat. If not, don't. If your fever rises to above 102, go see the doctor. 103.5? Go to the hospital?

DC Tom, I seem to have hit a nerve with that backwoods moron thing. Sorry, didnt know it was personal.

(and I will not be responding to your crap here, so PM me if you're only going to s#it-talk - these people have had enough with the Bills loss, they dont wanna here us fight)

But you came along, took your pot-shot, OUT OF NOWHERE AS USUAL, and i gave this post back, so PM me if you'd like to discuss whatever the hell reason is you brought this up.

steve you're a pervert. And now that I've interjected with a pervert comment, this thread is pretty much dead. Kudos to me

56190[/snapback]

Saying Im a pervert is like saying Fudgie is a touch hairy.

I dont know if there is a word that is bigger and badder that "pervert", but if there is one... well, that's me.

The reason why you are supposed to "starve" a fever is because when you eat, your metabolism kicks in.....when that happens, your temperature rises. If you already have a fever, the last thing you want to do is increase it further. But, even though I'm in the medical field and know this information.....and advise my patients similarly.....temperature or not....if I'm hungry, I'm gonna eat! :(

Sorry fella's...it is a bit early in the week for an OT Post.

I am a bit delerious.

I feel like Elvis because..."my temprature's risin'...."

Anyone know the correct way to handle a fever?

Do you feed or starve a fever?

Or do you feed or starve a cold?

:lol:

56050[/snapback]

Take aspirin because it dialates (opens up) blood vessels and therefore there is more surface area to transmit heat away. If you get into the 103 degree F range, get to a doc or urgent care - that's a lot for an adult.

Plenty of fluids, naturally, and a bowl of tap water and a washcloth to cool the brow is a good idea.

Your feet transmit a lot of heat away (as well as a lot of fluid via sweat through the day), so tossing a wet towel on them helps (but be sure to keep drinking water - a lot).

Use sugared products sparingly - the rapid metabolism makes a bit of body heat (but if you get light-headed, forget that in favor of a quick energy boost and continue the cooling steps).

A box of crackers (lo or no salt are best) are useful to keep an energy feed going without the sugar rush. A slice of bread slathered with peanut butter 2 times a day should keep your protein intake adequate.

Keep a blanket nearby - you sweat, you are chilled, you sweat, and so forth.

Best thing: A Wife. :P:(