I really hope this is not true

Peter

Yup, I would LOVE to ignore every, single thing that went on last year while we went 5-11, and happened to be a national embarassment; I would prefer to act as if none of it ever happened; while also allowing a washed up, 15 year veteran with hamstring problems to go as opposed to building the foundation of a new defense with said Defensive Back. DB's who can't run, and have perpetual hamstring problems go on my cut list, but what do I know? Call it revisionist history, I prefer to call it ignorance is bliss, but either way, your idea (or maybe it was subconsciously mine) to "ignore last season" is a terrific one!

TROY VINCENT FOR PRESIDENT! Oops, he already is.

TROY VINCENT IN THE HALL OF FAME.

TROY VINCENT IS SANTA CLAUSE!

Good riddance.

Did we forget that on top of all of this, Troy Vincent was one of the better "Bill Killers" during his time in Miami? If any of us believe in karma, this signing was doomed from the beginning.

Similar to having your mascot be a Bison, and then name your team after "Buffalo Bill" Cody, known worldwide as the individual who has slaughtered the most bison in the history of planet Earth. But why digress?

Troy Vincent is, and should be a distant memory.

773667[/snapback]

Again, this post seems contradictory. It's rememberin the 2005 season that explain most clearly why you keep Vincent.

1. On the field definite Bill D problems were:

A. A lack of turnovers (one stat that really does describe how a game went).

B. Folks catching up with how we used the zone blitz.

By keeping TV you keep you major producer of turnovers received last year (tied for team lead in INTs and also FRs). In addition, we needed to at least alter our zone-blitz if we kept Gray (10 of 11 players were the same so it points to how you implemented the scheme and other issues as the problem), but we did not but it makes perfect sense that the new HC goes away from the zone-blitz and to the Cover 2.

The major complaint folks had about TV was his tacking and the major strength of the other safety Milloy was his tackling (though he also is getting long in the tooth). Remembering 2005 seems to add up directly to cutting Milloy and keeping TV as your D style goes away from the area of complaint and toward his demonstrated strength (again tied for the team lead in INTs). The smple fact that there was a much larger cap benefit to chopping Milloy rather than chopping TV brings one to the conclusion the Bills braintrust reached.

2. The "other issues" which actually probably played a role in the Bills D meltfown (they dropped on D from 2nd in the league statistically to 27th or so) was the dissension which ravaged the team.

A. TV is known as a quality guy and is demonstrably respected by his peers who votd him Pres of the NFLPA. Working with this would seem to be a reasonable part of a strategy for building cohesion among the team and cutting him clearly runs the risk of creating more dissension.

B. Clearly better secondary play is useful for creating more INTs and turnovers and we are moving to a scheme which emphasizes the things the Cover 2 does. This is why the draft made a lot of sense in terms of getting an SS who can start immediately, a CB that gives us flexibility regarding FA Clements, and a second day choice FS we like a lot. This is great but raises the emphasis on training the rooks which again creates a real role for TV as a peer teacher (the DB position coach is going to have more than enough to do in any case giving the individual attention which is useful for all three players.

Flat out it is crystal clear to me that when you remember the failures of this team in '05 that it means you keep TV and use him for all he is worth to help you build a team. Unfortunately what he will be worth will not include being healthy enough to repeat his 16 game appearance performance of last year, but there is still a lot he can add in terms of working with the rooks.

It seems to me that those who simply make a knee-jerk reaction and want to cut TV are the ones who not only are forgetting the past, but not demonstrating having a clear vision for the future and how we are going to get there.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some clarification from today's news:

Jim Overdorf, Bills vice president for football administration, denied the contention reported in The News on Wednesday that saving money had anything to do with the decision to place Troy Vincent on injured reserve.

Overdorf said reaching an injury settlement with Vincent was not a factor in the move.

"That was never, never discussed," Overdorf said. "Our issue was Troy's health."

Overdorf could not guarantee an injury settlement would not take place. However, he said league rules make it so that if a settlement occurs, it almost always happens within five days of the move to IR. Vincent has stated he intends to stick around for several weeks to help the Bills' young safeties, something he could not do if he reached a settlement and was released. If a player reaches an injury settlement after the first five days, then he's ineligible to sign with another team for the length of his injury, plus another six weeks after he's deemed healthy.

There are two classifications of injured reserve, major and minor. By league rules, Vincent is on the "minor" injured reserve because there is a good chance he will be healthy before the end of the season. The minor classification was created by the league to prevent the stashing of players on the roster. For instance, if a team has a young player who is going to be out for a short time, it can't shelve him for the year to prevent him from going to another club.

Although there are some interesting items on PFT now and again, one of the things that I cannot stand is PFT's unrelenting crusade against the Bills, Ralph, and Marv.  It seems as though, every chance they get, they try to take pot shots at the Bills in general and Ralph and Marv in particular.  For example, when Ralph voted against the agreement with the NFLPA and then lobbied for better revenue sharing, they made gratuitous comments about his age etc.  As it turns out, Ralph was correct all along.

Very rarely does one find anything positive about the Bills on PFT.  (It is a bit like reading some of the posts on this board by people who have their particular crusades against individual Bills, e.g., WM).

I have to believe that the Bills knew exactly what they were doing and what the ramifications were and that there are no surprises here.

773596[/snapback]

PFT is run by a Dolphin fan out of Florida. Yet we still see links to and outrages about PFT. Do yourself a favor and don't rely on PFT for Bills information. BTW, why would you need to go there when you have TBD that provides links to credible sports news regarding the Buffalo Bills?

I am so beyond sick of these football "experts" getting 1/10th of the story and making pronouncements like this. Marv didn't understand the rules and is an incompetant GM? I think I'll give Marv and his Harvard degree the benefit of the doubt over some slob running Profootballtalk.com. When have those idiots EVER gotten anything right? I'd be interested to know.