Will McGahee Still Play for the Bills?

TNBillFan

I agree and I refuse to bash Willis.  Alot of people said last year he failed to get to the holes fast enough...  What holes?  Now I'am reading that people are saying he's dancing around too much.  News flash---->  The running lanes were scarce this past weekend as well.  Do people expect him to create holes or just wedge himself between the gaurd and the tackle.  What Willis is doing is waiting for the play to develop, then hitting the hole.  Not just driving his head into the back of an olineman.  McGahee and Spikes are (like it or not) the "stamps" of the franchise and they seats along with merchandise.  I still truly believe that in order for this team to succeed on offense Willis has to touch the ball 30+ times a game.

773484[/snapback]

It is nice to see that you and some of the others get it.

I agree and I refuse to bash Willis.  Alot of people said last year he failed to get to the holes fast enough...  What holes?  Now I'am reading that people are saying he's dancing around too much.  News flash---->  The running lanes were scarce this past weekend as well.  Do people expect him to create holes or just wedge himself between the gaurd and the tackle.  What Willis is doing is waiting for the play to develop, then hitting the hole.  Not just driving his head into the back of an olineman.  McGahee and Spikes are (like it or not) the "stamps" of the franchise and they seats along with merchandise.  I still truly believe that in order for this team to succeed on offense Willis has to touch the ball 30+ times a game.

773484[/snapback]

Bingo.

To me Willis is just outside the elite backs in the NFL and the 4th and 1 symbolizes that.

On the 4th down he made an excellent cut which was the only reason he had a chance at the first to begin with. That's the great vision coming out, which has probably been his greatest strength following the injury. Despite the fact that Flower got blown up Willis just didn't have the acceleration to finish up that run. It opened and closed very fast, but the best backs in the league would have made that first down.

The expectation level for Willis around here is that of a top 5 back. The player that Willis was at Miami would meet those expectations. We really didn't know what we were getting with him, so when he came out his second year on fire most of us thought he was back. We also thought that eventually he would completely recover. I refuse to believe he will ever COMPLETLY recover. But the good new is we still have a top 10 back, and that makes us better off then most the teams in this league.

Uh huh..... :doh:

773533[/snapback]

"Nice, well thought out post. ;) " ----quoting, Lurker.

Lurker, I'd expect more from you, especially because you disagree. Am I wrong? Why? I hope I am, but spell it out. From my question it must be clear that I have trouble understanding football stuff unless you speak simply, slowly and loud.

Having reviewed additional posts---as suggested---I find I'm not the only person and far from the first to post this question. I also see there is substantial disagreement on the board---both hardly big surprises. My post wasn't occassioned by a failure to pick up one yard. Willis didn't loose that game anymore than any other single player lost it. My post was occassioned by multiple games with few results beyond that you would expect from a solid journeyman back.

Look, McGahee and his agent already sold an NFL team on using a #1 choice on a running back whose last playing experience resulted in an extremely serious knee injury. That sale, alone, was worthy of a national marketing award. McGahee's agent is worth every dime he gets paid. The second (i.e. "big", "mega", etc.) contract marketing of McGahee, as an elite back who is suffering through an initial stint with little help from his team, began a long time ago. In the NFL today, he and his agent will easily find a friendly ear that will buy his unfulfilled potential, provided he doesn't get hurt again. If that's a bash, oh well. I'd like to think of it as a question that someone would address with something other than fear of hurting Willis' feelings or a commentary on my own, clearly low, Wonderlic score. :lol:

McGahee isn't nearly as "gifted" (whatever that means) as Thurman Thomas.  Whatever it means,  let me put it this way: McGahee couldn't tie Thurman's shoes. I can't think of one "gifted" moment that McGahee has had.  Thurman, in nearly every game for nearly a decade, was a revelation.

773430[/snapback]

I think you are comparing Apples to Oranges.....Thomas came into a great situation. He already had an established QB, a good bunch of WRs and a fantastic OL. I don't think McGahee has ever got a chance to run behind an outstanding OL that can run block. Two different eras and two different type of players.

If Losman establishes himself as a threat, then McGahee will get to show more of his power. Folks Mcgahee is not running behind the Steelers OL, where you can plug in an undrafted RB and he can get you 120 yards.

Lurker, I'd expect more from you...

773929[/snapback]

Wow, I don't even expect anything of myself... :rolleyes:

My beef's with the "wind's blowing this way now" type posts that are so prevalent on TSW these days....including how I perceive yours, unfortunately. Nothing a good MIA game can't cure...which would probably lead to a flood of "sign WM to a long-term contract" posts around here.

I think we just need to see how Willis performs in a few more games with this O-line and coaching staff before we start making pronouncements about the future. He sure looked good in the first half of the Pats game, IMO.

Let's worry about his next contract/team a bit more down the road.

WM is a great running back. He will STILL play. He could still end up being one of the best ever. Give the kid a chance. He's still just a kid, playing behind a less-than average offensive line.

Although I would have liked to have seen him get that 4th down carry.

Wow, I don't even expect anything of myself... :rolleyes:

My beef's with the "wind's blowing this way now" type posts that are so prevalent on TSW these days....including how I perceive yours, unfortunately.  Nothing a good MIA game can't cure...which would probably lead to a flood of "sign WM to a long-term contract" posts around here.

I think we just need to see how Willis performs in a few more games with this O-line and coaching staff before we start making pronouncements about the future. He sure looked good in the first half of the Pats game, IMO.

Let's worry about his next contract/team a bit more down the road.

774131[/snapback]

Fair.

I've been a Bills fan since near the beginning of the franchise. It all started when Tom Day was my 3rd and 4th grade PE teacher at PS #88. By now and after the last 40 years, I'd be cheering for the Cowboys or whoever this season's "America's Team" is, if I was inclined to react to ill winds. Most of the years have not been good although there have been some fabulous exceptions. I think, given that I usually read but don't post, my timing could have been better to avoid your perception of being a fair weather fan. I absolutely hope I'm wrong. I'm more than willing to suspend judgment on this player until we see how the line goes and how he performs down the road.