Troy Vincent is a clas act

Tod Flanders

Whatever you may think about the move to place Vincent on IR and effectively end his career in Buffalo (if not his career) and whatever you may think about Vincent's skill level and quality of play there is one fact that is unassailable: Troy Vincent is a class act. The fact that he asked to stay around a few weeks just to help tutor our rookie safeties says it all.

Agreed. Plus I really think he can help this team most (presently and in the long run) by being on the sideline. He is no longer good enough to make a serious positive impact with his skills and the team is not close enough to any plateau that he would push us over.

Being off the field he will be able to coach our rookies more effectively while allowing them to use that coaching in the most valuable way.

Tough move for management to make, and even tougher for a 10+ vet to agree to. I'm proud it was done.

Agreed.  Plus I really think he can help this team most (presently and in the long Being off the field he will be able to coach our rookies more effectively while allowing them to use that coaching in the most valuable way.

772608[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. I see him as a tremendous coaching asset on the sideline, and lets be realistic, we gain more in the long run by giving the kids the experience instead of having TV in there.

considering he has been constantly injured during his career in buffalo and collecting ~$3MM/year it is the least he could do

my 1st thought was more that he should have been arrested for stealing the last 3 years. he should be happy he was not cut in camp because now he gets another 3MM.

he is staying around because he is smart enough to know he could latch on to another team mid year and this also keeps him in touch with the nflpa.

considering he has been constantly injured during his career in buffalo and collecting ~$3MM/year it is the least he could do

my 1st thought was more that he should have been arrested for stealing the last 3 years. he should be happy he was not cut in camp because now he gets another 3MM.

he is staying around because he is smart enough to know he could latch on to another team mid year and this also keeps him in touch with the nflpa.

772660[/snapback]

He doesn't have to stay around he asked to. He could just go home and collect his full pay for the season.

A guy I work with is married to Vincent's cousin. They go to all of the family gatherings together and he said that Vincent almost didn't come back this year. He said the guy's been talking about retiring for the past couple of years actually. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the end of his career.

Here's an interesting factoid:

"The real Mularkey?

Through the years, there is no doubt that defensive players have loved playing for [Dick] Jauron, now Buffalo’s head coach. You can count safety Troy Vincent in that group. Vincent, as we know, is one of those savvy veterans, someone who has a shot at replacing Gene Upshaw as executive director of the NFL Players Association.

Vincent respects Jauron for who he is. While saying that, he took a little swipe at former coach Mike Mularkey, a nice-guy offensive coordinator while with the Steelers, who simply failed in Buffalo.

“(Mularkey) was trying to build a personality that I’m not sure was what we were,” Vincent said this week. “You can’t teach a show dog how to fight. I have great respect for Coach Mularkey, but he tried to project a tough image … That was (Bill) Cowher.”

Believe me, it is a common mistake among rookie head coaches to project a personality that is not their own. Mularkey saw the kind of success Cowher had and tried at times to emulate him. But in the process, it chipped away at his own personality and the players saw through that."

Source