excellent piece by alan wilson

dave mcbride

Coy Wire was in perfect and easy position to make Maroney's 27 yard gain a 7 yard gain and just whiffed horribly. I think that was likely the play that made the coaches play Whitner most of the rest of the game. I am not a Wire basher although he often stinks, but if you're not going to do the one thing you're supposed to be able to actually do, get the hell out.

Coy Wire was in perfect and easy position to make Maroney's 27 yard gain a 7 yard gain and just whiffed horribly.

This is *exactly* the kind of play he has been doing *consistently* since his rookie year. People are just starting to notice it now (?)

I am not a Wire basher although he often stinks, but if you're not going to do the one thing you're supposed to be able to actually do, get the hell out.

That's what I've been saying since his rookie year :lol:

It's great to see such detailed analysis as some of us fans love this stuff even though most folks actually have their priorities in order and are not addicted to football. Who cares! Bring on some more stuff.

I think Wilson did a good job taking apart the film. The one thing I would add to his analysis which might not have been apparent if he was looking at real film was that Brady's hike call cadence was varied and well used to get the Bills with quick snaps (the announcers even cited this as a key to the Dillion 4th down gain). He also used a bob of his shoulders which was judgment call illegal to get the Bills to jump offsides.

However, great analysis to see in what most fans have begun calling the Buffalo Snooze.

Known Fact:it takes O-lines and D-Lines to get in sync over time. With them playing as well as they did in spurts in this gme would indicate hat they may come together quicker than we think. Remember two new o-liners and three new D-liners rotating in and out with 2 being rookies.

Our defense will make adjustments and we will improve on this performance, but it was clearly not a great job stopping the run. It's a shame that Coy Wire missed that tackle, and more of a shame that Dante wasn't in the game to make it. It is not Coy's fault that he is not very good, but I hope we can clearly get Dante starting from week 2 on...and maybe Ko as well.

The Bills ran 10 times in the second half (most of it with the lead). That's just not fuc#ing good enough, IMO. We had two backs working and looking pretty good and we just quit on the running game.

The Bills ran 10 times in the second half (most of it with the lead).  That's just not fuc#ing good enough, IMO.  We had two backs working and looking pretty good and we just quit on the running game.

770999[/snapback]

Can't say that I agree at all. That seems to be looking at the stats and not the game. The Bills had four total drives in the second half and really only two plays where we should have MAYBE run.

The first one, a mix of pass and run, took up 9 minutes, went the length of the field, and ended with the fateful fourth and 1 that was a run.

The second one, was run (-2), run (4) and then pass on 3rd and 8.

The third one was the fateful safety drive that started at the 10. It was the one play that in retrospect I guess we could have or should have run. First down we threw a short pass incomplete to Shelton. That is hardly a bad call (meaning pass on first down after we had run 4 of the last 5 plays). Second down was a run that lost a yard. Then we threw on 3rd and 11.

The fourth drive was run (-2), run (10) and then pass on 3rd and two (twice. The first worked but was called back, the second was a sack). I guess we could have run on third and 2. But it was hardly abandoning the run, IMO.

Can't say that I agree at all. That seems to be looking at the stats and not the game. The Bills had four total drives in the second half and really only two plays where we should have MAYBE run.

The first one, a mix of pass and run, took up 9 minutes, went the length of the field, and ended with the fateful fourth and 1 that was a run.

The second one, was run (-2), run (4) and then pass on 3rd and 8.

The third one was the fateful safety drive that started at the 10. It was the one play that in retrospect I guess we could have or should have run. First down we threw a short pass incomplete to Shelton. That is hardly a bad call (meaning pass on first down after we had run 4 of the last 5 plays). Second down was a run that lost a yard. Then we threw on 3rd and 11.

The fourth drive was run (-2), run (10) and then pass on 3rd and two (twice. The first worked but was called back, the second was a sack). I guess we could have run on third and 2. But it was hardly abandoning the run, IMO.

771006[/snapback]

I would have run more in the 1st drive. On the third down before the fateful 4th and 1, I would have run (or screen pass) on 3rd and 8 (draw or direct snap to back). I would have run on the safety drive.

I would have run more in the 1st drive.  On the third down before the fateful 4th and 1, I would have run (or screen pass) on 3rd and 8 (draw or direct snap to back).  I would have run on the safety drive.

771013[/snapback]

Well I guess running on 3rd and 8 from the 14 would have assured us the FG instead of losing the ball on downs. :lol:

You may be right. It's easy to second guess the run and pass on every series of every game. But we were almost exactly 50-50 and in this game, with the front the Pats have and the secondary the Pats have, I would want it right around there unless you're dominating on the ground, which we clearly weren't.

Well I guess running on 3rd and 8 from the 14 would have assured us the FG instead of losing the ball on downs.  :lol:

You may be right. It's easy to second guess the run and pass on every series of every game. But we were almost exactly 50-50 and in this game, with the front the Pats have and the secondary the Pats have, I would want it right around there unless you're dominating on the ground, which we clearly weren't.

771020[/snapback]

Or a touchdown on another big run. I'd take either one.

I admit I was concerned early in the game when it was VERY obvious the defense was unsure of their assignments and the Fags were running unabated all over the place.

Of course, taking Coy Wire off the field eliminated ALOT of the problem.

We're going to be fine. If we stay healthy, watch out in the season's second half.