Some positives from the game

todd

Actually, in this case I'm a glass 1/3 full, not 2/3 empty kind of guy. A positive post isn't as easy to write as a negative one, so give me a break here.

So on to the positives:

1. Mularkey did the right thing in starting Evans. He had a real nice game, especially for a rookie. Evans is good.

2. Travis ran well for most of the game behind solid blocking. Mike williams did a fine job - and I can't imagine I just said that!

3. Drew threw the ball well for most of the game. Every QB makes mistakes, and although he had a few he had some nice plays as well.

4. Playcalling was very good - way better than Gilbride's. Obviously, it was pretty smart to utilize the run to diminish the blitz.

5. Special teams were excellent. I haven't seen that in years! It was awesome to see a team kick the ball AWAY from our returner. Respect, baby.

Overall the team played like one under a new coach and a new scheme. Some flashes of brillaince that I was happy with. We all knew we wouldn't win this game. I saw some good things throughout the game that I didn't see last year at all.

Play calling for the most part was good. I thought towards the end of the first half we shouldve run some time off the clock.

I also have to question the bootleg on fourth down. Hear me out please. Why fake to TH? He's going to have to block once NE figured it was play action. TH can't block....it's a glaring weakness in his game. Also we know our major fault in the O line is the Center/Guard combo. Sobieski was in at the time......he can't be expected to handle Brushi,Woolfolk or Traylor.

4. Playcalling was very good - way better than Gilbride's. Obviously, it was pretty smart to utilize the run to diminish the blitz.

Some flashes of brilliance that I was happy with. We all knew we wouldn't win this game.

55366[/snapback]

Playcalling was average, but we are so used to awful we don't even know what "good" is anymore. The fourth down call, passing (again) on third and short, especially when Moulds doesn't seem to know the routes... I think in general Mularkey was on the mark, but you HAVE to make good calls at critical moments to be a great coach. I for one think he will get there. But he is definitely a rookie coach with a rookie offensive coordinator (do we know which of them is calling the plays?).

Like any believer, I started getting my hopes up even though I knew better. What would be awesome for this team is to just jump up really quickly and pile on a lead to get confidence. I don't know if it's in them. They are definitely not capable of protecting a shallow lead at this point. Maybe when our veteran DBs come back...

Good post, Todd. You make some good points.

Unfortunately, some people are so afraid of losing, they'd rather just quit then keep moving forward. But your points are all well taken, and it's nice to see someone take an optimistic approach.

good post!  There is alot of talent on this team and they are much better then they have been playing.  It seems this years Bills cannot catch a break.  This team will be alright

55533[/snapback]

:lol:

how are you and what have you done with Pete?

Hey NG- I am always optimistic. I just am very familiar with Drew and have very strong opinions on him. I defended Antwain Smith, RJ, Chris Watson, Ruben, Josh Reed and just about every other whipping boy TBD has had. I couldnt defend Friggin Lonnie though- no excuse for him

Hey NG- I am always optimistic.  I just am very familiar with Drew and have very strong opinions on him.  I defended Antwain Smith, RJ, Chris Watson, Ruben, Josh Reed and just about every other whipping boy TBD has had.  I couldnt defend Friggin Lonnie though- no excuse for him

55550[/snapback]

how you feeling about the !@#$er Coy Wire?

I agree that the glass is half full as well. This is the best i've seen the bills in over a year. Stupid penalties killed themselves, but overall, I was excited watching them. Evans was fantastic, and Bledsoe made two or three amazing long bombs. The line looked decient, and TH ran fairly well. Overall, i still think this team needs time to understand the teams philosophy, and i'm not writing off the year, but next year is it.

P.S - The reason we don't run on 3rd and 1, is quite simple, Travis has proven time and time again that he is incapable of getting the one yard. On a 3rd and 1 next time, i want to see WM!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait for Lawyer Milloy to get healthy

55561[/snapback]

Funny, but if you read the board you would think the problem lies with Travis, or Drew, or Mularky or Donahoe.

You can hand two of three losses to Wire's play...not even counting the offsides on the field goal. Is there NOONE else who can play that spot in place of him?

Actually, in this case I'm a glass 1/3 full, not 2/3 empty kind of guy. A positive post isn't as easy to write as a negative one, so give me a break here.

So on to the positives:

1. Mularkey did the right thing in starting Evans. He had a real nice game, especially for a rookie. Evans is good.

2. Travis ran well for most of the game behind solid blocking. Mike williams did a fine job - and I can't imagine I just said that!

3. Drew threw the ball well for most of the game. Every QB makes mistakes, and although he had a few he had some nice plays as well.

5. Special teams were excellent. I haven't seen that in years! It was awesome to see a team kick the ball AWAY from our returner. Respect, baby.

Overall the team played like one under a new coach and a new scheme. Some flashes of brillaince that I was happy with. We all knew we wouldn't win this game. I saw some good things throughout the game that I didn't see last year at all.

55366[/snapback]

Agree Todd, except for the Bootleg call on a critical down. Bledsoe said they were leaving him alone after the hand off all day, so why try it on 4th, MM could just as easily tried it on third and hopefully it would have ended at least without the fumble, then we still have 4th. I just don't like gadget plays on 4th downs.

When the game was over, I wasn't devestated like most people on this board are. I was actually okay with it, I thought we made strides. The O moved the ball, special teams played great. The stupid penalties killed us again, hopefully that can be fixed. If anything I was disappointed with the Defense, they can't continue to give up huge plays! :lol: What was it 3rd and 35 results in a 40 yeard pass, another 30 yard TD - I think that was third down. The D plays great then just falls apart when they need to step up.

I think we're almost there and it will start with a victory against the Jests...

I hope...